Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
What SHOULD I have done ?

I consider myself still very new at RVing . Though I have pulled my trailer around 12,000 miles and am much more comfortable than I was a year and a half ago when my wife talked me into doing it . Last week something happened that is still giving me chills .

Driving along a nice stretch of two lane highway , speed limit 50 , I'm going 55 . There was 5 or 6 vehicles behind me , the third one back decides to pass ... okay , there was room , no problem (fool) . Monkey see monkey do ... The next guy decides to do the same thing . Well this time there is a curve coming up and evidently this guys vehicle didn't have the get up and go he thought it did ... So he's out there and I see a car coming from the other direction and I know there is no way the guy passing could see it ( he was only about half way passed me ) , so I hit the brakes pretty hard ... he should have been able to get around me and back on our side , but NO , when he saw the car coming the other way he hit his brakes and sent the other car scrambling to get out of the way . I had moved over to the right as far as I could . Fortunately there was no wreck and no damage ...

What i want to know is , did I do the right thing ... what could I have done better ... is there an official rule of the road that I should adhere to in a situation like that ??? that was the most scared I've been so far and would welcome any advice on how to handle that kind of thing better .

lbmaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
50/50 chance either way. I think you made the right choice!

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)

Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
I think you did the right thing. There is no way for you to know what he will do. If it had turned out badly at least you will know you tried to help. Had you done nothing and it went bad you would blame yourself for taking no action.
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2016 Wildwood Xlite 171 RBXL
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
DW's Retirement Plan
I almost always slow down a bit when someone is passing me. In your case, I would have done the same thing.

Sleep better - you did the right thing.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
if it was me i would not of hit the brakes, not your fault someone has no brains and wants to pass on a corner.

no need of you getting in a wreck cause of someone elses stupid moves
haven a blast
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
In my opinion you didn't do anything wrong. You were trying to be courteous and help the guy get around you. Some people are just terrible drivers and shouldn't be on the road. I've had plenty of encounters with them and some will just plain scare the crap out of you. It's even worse when your on a motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 ram 2500
2016 Cherokee 274dbh
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Absolutely the right choice given the circumstances.
2016 Grey Wolf 24RK
2014 Nissan Titan

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
I'm guessing the textbook answer is you should have maintained your speed. Otherwise you are second guessing the guy that is passing, and as bad luck would have it you inadvertently blocked him possibly making the situation worse. Having said that we usually drive on instinct and I may have done the same thing. Usually if the car is mostly around me I will slow down to give room or even get over on the shoulder a bit if its going to be close. If he 's not at least even with me I 'll hold my speed. The oncoming car also has to be prepared to take evasive maneuvers. Don't beat yourself up over it.
2013 Roo 183
2012: 1042 Miles, 13 Nights camped
2013: 2772 Miles, 27 Nights camped

2014: 2259 Miles, 30 Nights camped
2015: 1644 Miles, 20 Nights camped
2016: 550 Miles, 11 Nights camped
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #9
This is tough but you should maintain your speed. When the car passing you saw the oncoming car he tried to slow down but could not get back of you because you were slowing down. It is instinct though and survival move.

It is the same for merging traffic onto the interstate. I will move over if I can but if I can't I maintain my speed. It is the responsibility of the driver entering the interstate to MERGE into traffic. They need to speed up or slow down based on the situation.

I also agree, don't beat yourself up over it.
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon
First, when towing you should drive at or below the posted speed limit, not above. In a legal passing zone your higher speed requires even more speed and/or longer passing times for other traffic.
Second, maintain your speed. This provides a safe place for the passer to go simply by slowing down.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote