Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

What SHOULD I have done ?

I consider myself still very new at RVing . Though I have pulled my trailer around 12,000 miles and am much more comfortable than I was a year and a half ago when my wife talked me into doing it . Last week something happened that is still giving me chills .

Driving along a nice stretch of two lane highway , speed limit 50 , I'm going 55 . There was 5 or 6 vehicles behind me , the third one back decides to pass ... okay , there was room , no problem (fool) . Monkey see monkey do ... The next guy decides to do the same thing . Well this time there is a curve coming up and evidently this guys vehicle didn't have the get up and go he thought it did ... So he's out there and I see a car coming from the other direction and I know there is no way the guy passing could see it ( he was only about half way passed me ) , so I hit the brakes pretty hard ... he should have been able to get around me and back on our side , but NO , when he saw the car coming the other way he hit his brakes and sent the other car scrambling to get out of the way . I had moved over to the right as far as I could . Fortunately there was no wreck and no damage ...

What i want to know is , did I do the right thing ... what could I have done better ... is there an official rule of the road that I should adhere to in a situation like that ??? that was the most scared I've been so far and would welcome any advice on how to handle that kind of thing better .
lbmaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

50/50 chance either way. I think you made the right choice!

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

I think you did the right thing. There is no way for you to know what he will do. If it had turned out badly at least you will know you tried to help. Had you done nothing and it went bad you would blame yourself for taking no action.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

I almost always slow down a bit when someone is passing me. In your case, I would have done the same thing.

Sleep better - you did the right thing.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #5

if it was me i would not of hit the brakes, not your fault someone has no brains and wants to pass on a corner.

no need of you getting in a wreck cause of someone elses stupid moves
Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

In my opinion you didn't do anything wrong. You were trying to be courteous and help the guy get around you. Some people are just terrible drivers and shouldn't be on the road. I've had plenty of encounters with them and some will just plain scare the crap out of you. It's even worse when your on a motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 ram 2500
2016 Cherokee 274dbh
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Absolutely the right choice given the circumstances.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

I'm guessing the textbook answer is you should have maintained your speed. Otherwise you are second guessing the guy that is passing, and as bad luck would have it you inadvertently blocked him possibly making the situation worse. Having said that we usually drive on instinct and I may have done the same thing. Usually if the car is mostly around me I will slow down to give room or even get over on the shoulder a bit if its going to be close. If he 's not at least even with me I 'll hold my speed. The oncoming car also has to be prepared to take evasive maneuvers. Don't beat yourself up over it.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

This is tough but you should maintain your speed. When the car passing you saw the oncoming car he tried to slow down but could not get back of you because you were slowing down. It is instinct though and survival move.

It is the same for merging traffic onto the interstate. I will move over if I can but if I can't I maintain my speed. It is the responsibility of the driver entering the interstate to MERGE into traffic. They need to speed up or slow down based on the situation.

I also agree, don't beat yourself up over it.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon

First, when towing you should drive at or below the posted speed limit, not above. In a legal passing zone your higher speed requires even more speed and/or longer passing times for other traffic.
Second, maintain your speed. This provides a safe place for the passer to go simply by slowing down.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

Sounds like you tried to help someone that made a bad choice with bad timing. You clearly have a heart. Remember to keep you and those with you safe first and foremost. Sometimes keeping your speed and lane constant will allow the other driver to adjust to the circumstances better than having to re-calculate due to your good intentions.

The other driver, is an idiot. IMHO.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmaples View Post
that was the most scared I've been so far and would welcome any advice on how to handle that kind of thing better .

I agree with the others here. I too would have reacted the same as yourself in slowing to let him pass. Your instincts kicked in, and you reacted. Although, If I would have hit the breaks as hard as you stated, instinctively my right arm would have swung and slapped anyone riding with me. ( Thanks, Mom ) Another instinct.

Sometimes we are put in situations and only have mere seconds to react, especially in times like that. I'm sure you were a bit shaken, as expected. I know I would have been, along with spewing a few "nice words" under my breath....but you did good! No casualties.

People seem to take it for granted the weight we are pulling, and the weight that is pushing us, until we make contact.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #13

you did nothing wrong, the only thing different I would have done is slowed down a tad to make sure they were able to pass me. Stomping on the brakes could've caused your trailer to go sideways or locked up and you could've lost control.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
Failure is my business

No issues. Dummies abound. For me, on two lanes, I try to go PSL to PSL+5. Then no one can complain I'm holding them up. If they want to pass, they can. On multilane roads I will do the PSL up to a max of 65mph. The other drivers can figure it out.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

People will tell you what they would have done and I am going to do that as well.

But first, let me say instead of second guessing what you did, go back and analyze the situation and then come to a conclusion whether doing something different would have been better or worse and don't beat yourself up over it.

What I would have done and what I ALWAYS try to do... is what is best for ME in a panic situation.

I could care less if the nut job that is trying to pass me has enough room or that if I maintain my speed, HE will be able to get back in. Or, that if I speed up, HE will have a place to get in. Forget about what HE needs and concentrate on what will get YOU out of a situation that is undesirable.

With that said, given your description, I believe I'd have done much as you.
Move over best you can, maintain control of YOUR vehicle and then slow down as much as possible to minimize any damage that might occur if things go wrong.

Just my 2¢...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #16

Darn if you do, Darn if you don't...

As a rule, here are a couple items I usually do:

1) I keep an eye whats behind me, If things are backing up, I'll try and pull off or pull over and let the backup pass.

2) If someone is passing me and all the sudden there are approaching cars, I'll usually lift my foot off the gas and slowly move to the right, if I can.

If moving to the shoulder, watch for junk or cars on the shoulder, or the shoulder narrowing.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #17

First - make no admission against your interest. If the speed limit is posted at 50, then don't drive 55.
Second - best bet, maintain speed and course - - - until you have to take action to avoid a collision. Again, if you could have avoided a wreck and didn't you will carry that burden a long time (legal or moral) Doctrine of Last Clear Chance applies.
Don't try to avoid a wreck by going into on-coming traffic. Don't wreck trying to avoid animals.
Just my opinion...ymmv
Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #18

Hard to say whats right or wrong for an individual. When I taught defensive driving I always told my students to maintain there present speed when being passed. The driver passing is counting on you doing that, when you change speed (brake or speed up) you throw a wrench into their calculations. This is not a hard and fast rule and situations very like a truck passing who is past the point that he is committed braking would allow him to pull back in and other times braking would hold the other person in the passing lane. Moving as far right as you can safely is a good thing
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #19

I'm sure the "correct answer" is to maintain your speed WHILE driving at or below the speed limit. Most of us would likely slow down in that situation, even though it's probably not the correct thing to do.
Don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to mention that drivers merging onto the freeway's also drive me nuts. Perhaps they can't read as they totally ignore those inverted triangle signs that say YIELD! They head onto the freeway looking straight ahead at a speed consistent to have their car meet yours an the axis where the ramp meets the 4 lane. If you can't move over, and many times there's a semi or car in your left lane, you're kinda a sitting duck.
Glad my Ram has a LOUD horn!!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #20

First, glad it worked out ok.
I would have done the same thing. If I see a situation that someone else is possibly going to be coming into my lane be it while passing or the other driver coming head on trying to avoid the passing car, I want to slow my 15,000+ lb setup down as much as possible. If we do collide, I want to minimize this impact as much as possible. This situation was developing quickly and you didn't have time to think about all the possible solutions.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote