Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Post What the holy heck?

I just went out to my trailer to get it ready for an upcoming camping trip. I decided to put some chemical down into the empty black water tank. When I stepped onto the flush lever the water started running as it is supposed to, but it was HOT, Steamy Water!
Quickly I turned on the Cold Water Faucet in the bathroom, It Ran HOT Water Too!
The Kitchen Water Cold Water Faucet did the same!
The trailer has been sitting for the last 3 months hooked up to Shore power and the Hot Water Tank has been running all of that time.
I decided to drain and Flush out and refill the Hot water tank while I was checking this situation out.
Now when you Flush the toilet the water remains Cold, The Cold water sides of both Faucets remain cold and the Hot Water Faucets run hot.
What could have caused the cold water to heat up like that?
I have never had that happen to any of the trailers that I have owned and I have owned several since 1973!

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

I believe the water was heated do to sitting in sun, water not moving so water heated up
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
I believe the water was heated do to sitting in sun, water not moving so water heated up
You wouldn't think that the water would get so hot that it would steam and be to hot to put your hands under for just a few seconds.

Dick
Old 09-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #4

if you have water from a hose hooked up to your house, or nearby, and sitting in the sun all day, it WILL get to almost boiling within the hose itself, and your 'cold' water thru the faucets can then get VERY hot, and for quite some time until the new fresh water has had a chance to flush thru the long water hose.

This was something we dealt with several years ago, while on a private lot, with our water hose needing to run about 100' to the closest water spigot on the property. Just like this summer, it was HOT, and the water hose lay in the hot sun ALL DAY - we could take a shower with only the COLD water side and think we were about to FRY in the boiling water!
Our water from the hot water side was actually COOLER than the cold side!

The Sun has a strange way of saying 'hello'!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Heat Transfer. Sitting for three months I think the water heater just transferred the heat throughout the entire water system.
Check out this link:
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/cla...-Heat-Transfer
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #6

Exclamation

I didn't have the garden hose hooked to the trailer, Just the Electric Power cable.

I guess the water in the Fresh water holding tank just heated up from the Summer heat while I was in the Hospital having Kidney Surgery.

I am now draining and flushing the Fresh water tank and sanitizing it, so that we have good water with us when we go camping in a couple of days. It will be so wonderful to get away from the house for a few days! It's been a Long summer without being able to go camping!

Thank you for all of your responses! I learned something new today, so my day wasn't wasted!

Dick
Old 09-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
I didn't have the garden hose hooked to the trailer, Just the Electric Power cable.

I guess the water in the Fresh water holding tank just heated up from the Summer heat while I was in the Hospital having Kidney Surgery.

I am now draining and flushing the Fresh water tank and sanitizing it, so that we have good water with us when we go camping in a couple of days. It will be so wonderful to get away from the house for a few days! It's been a Long summer without being able to go camping!

Thank you for all of your responses! I learned something new today, so my day wasn't wasted!

Dick

Glad your better and able to get back to to the camping life!!
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Check your outside shower. If the valves are open and it is shut off via the shower head valve, you can get movement of water from one side of the water system to the other.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

I had that situation many years ago when I was managing apartments. The water heater was about to blow up. The temperature pressure relief valve was bad. Check your valve by opening it and letting some water out.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
Agree. We get “solar heated” water in warm weather.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote