What to do if you have a leak/ mold.
I was a home/mold inspector for some time and thought I would post some suggestions. I am not an Industrial Hygienist, which is the professional you want to call if you have serious issues. Mold is serious and can emit mycotoxins which can cause VERY serious health issues and should never be taken lightly. If you have a leak in your home, call a professional disaster recovery company IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT think you can dry it out yourself.
1) Any water leak into an area that can't be dried completely within 3 days (or sooner) will cause mold to begin. If you have a leak, the area must be exposed to air flow to dry. This is why when you have a leak in your home that wets a wall the trim must be removed in most cases.
2) Dehumidifiers and fans will help dry areas but sometimes holes must be opened to aid the process. If you have had a mold problem and that mold has "penetrated" the material, it has to be replaced. If it is on the surface it can be cleaned with the appropriate product.
3) If you think you have a mold problem, air samples can be taken and sent to a lab to determine if you do. I inspected a condo once that looked perfectly fine and had mold issues from leaks during a hurricane. Personally, I would not buy a home without having air samples taken.