Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #1

What type of sealant should I use?

The handle on my side door wasn't installed correctly and I'll have to take it off and reinstall. The only thing I'm wondering about is what type of sealant should be used between the handle and the door.

I'm thinking bathroom caulk but also thought it would be a good idea to ask the group in case there's another product that should be used instead.

Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #2

Perhaps butyl tape.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #3

Butyl tape is all you need.

If you insist on a sealant, then Geocel 28127V Pro Flex RV Flexible Sealant is your best bet. I think it comes in colors other then white too. Problem with sealants is they like to collect dirt and dust. Butyl tape can be trimmed so little shows around the edges and looks better.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

Definitely butyl tape
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

Agreed; butyl tape for this.
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

Butyl it is. Thanks for the opinions they were helpful.

One thing I saw when comparing butyl to eternabond was that butyl will form and fit into any surfaces sealing out moisture between two surfaces where eternabond will not do that as well. Although everyone agrees that eternabond will work well on other applications as roof repair. Is that right?
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 AM   #7

Eternabond is great to seal seams and edges on roofs in lieu of using dicor. It is much more durable and looks better over the long haul. It is also a great product to repair roof damage. I had totaled a roof 2 years ago from a branch and a lot of eternabond tape fixed the damage well enough to allow us to wait a year before we budgeted to replace it.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I understand the Eternabond tape is good for seams that need something to hold the seam together but if you just want a bit of extra waterproofing like around the ladder feet that attach to the roof why wouldn't 100% silicone seal be OK? Comes in smaller and less expensive container than Dicor.

Have also wondered about "Flex Seal" as advertised on TV ?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling) in Perry, GA and Minot ND in 2019
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

Do not use silicon on anything on an RV as a general rule of thumb. Dicor or eterna bond.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Do not use silicon on anything on an RV as a general rule of thumb. Dicor or eterna bond.
This is not the first time I heard this about silicon. What makes silicon so bad for an RV?

tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal