Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by divepdic View Post
I am noticing something more and more lately when I watch people hitch up their TT's at campgrounds. And I'm sure a lot of it is that some dealers not going through the proper setup and hitching procedure with their 1st time RV customers, but what I'm seeing is people hitching up their TT and putting all the weight of the trailer on the rear of their vehicle and then putting on their bars without "loading them up" by raising the jack first. Now my question is do you say something and run the risk of basically getting the middle finger by telling them they are doing it wrong or do you just let it go hoping it doesn't cause an accident because their front wheels are barely touching the pavement when they leave the campground?
Tell them ! Then if they don't take notice then it's on them.

OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
. I'm disorganized enough without being distracted
LOL!

Son, just wait. Today you are distracted. Tomorrow you will walk over to help me and halfway there, forget why you were headed that way. Then you will forget where YOUR trailer is parked.................

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
LOL!

Son, just wait. Today you are distracted. Tomorrow you will walk over to help me and halfway there, forget why you were headed that way. Then you will forget where YOUR trailer is parked.................
Ah, the joys of aging. My brother and I are always lamenting on all the things we have to look forward to as we become the oldest generation in our family........
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
I have seen this before as well. I just walked up and asked "would you mind if I show you an easier way to do that?" By wording it this way, you are not telling them they are doing it wrong, you are simply trying to show them an easier method. Then as I was doing it, I explained to them how loading the bars put more force down on the front. They could see the difference in the way the truck was sitting and were very appreciative.
I think many (especially if they are new to camping) are open do being shown an easier way of doing something.
If they have been doing it incorrectly for a long time and have not had an issue, you will never change their mind or get them to try something different. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

This is similar to how I often approach this type of situation. But I go even further and state something like "Hey, can I show you a method that someone taught me makes that way easier?" Gives the idea that I was once in their shoes and had a little help. Removes any idea that you're being arrogant or a know-it-all.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #25

We were at a rally and met the person next to us. Over a friendly cup of coffee, she told me how everyone coming at her at night would flash their lights at her. I asked if she still had the instructions for the hitch since everything was brand new. She did so I offered to help her set the WDH up correctly using the instructions. Took over an hour the next day to go through everything and show how to make adjustments if needed. Now we have a new friend!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #26

If itís somebody I have been talking too I might say something but otherwise I try not to talk to people hooking up. I get to distracted myself. Anyway I have a fifth wheel now but I started out with a travel trailer.
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #27

Dang, if I just dropped the tongue on the ball and tried to hook up my Recurve R6 bars without raising the hitch with ball locked I'd need a 6 foot cheater pipe on the end of the tool they give you. And of you don't raise it up when you get ready to take them off and just use the tool to release them, Ka-Pow bang they would go.

Us guys are the most receptive to new ideas, helpful tips and someone offering or telling you how to do it. I asked my dad years later... why didn't you tell me some of this. Well son, would you have listened?
rlh1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Seriously?
Seriously what?

Not sure what you are asking...

But if you find yourself near any big city...then be careful what you ask!

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #29
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If it’s somebody I have been talking too I might say something but otherwise I try not to talk to people hooking up. I get to distracted myself. Anyway I have a fifth wheel now but I started out with a travel trailer.
Even new 5'ver owners sometimes need help with their hitchup...

I've only been pulling a 5'ver for a little over three years now and am still finding things I don't know yet...

Had TT's for decades before that!

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
I have seen this before as well. I just walked up and asked "would you mind if I show you an easier way to do that?" By wording it this way, you are not telling them they are doing it wrong, you are simply trying to show them an easier method. Then as I was doing it, I explained to them how loading the bars put more force down on the front. They could see the difference in the way the truck was sitting and were very appreciative.
I think many (especially if they are new to camping) are open do being shown an easier way of doing something.
If they have been doing it incorrectly for a long time and have not had an issue, you will never change their mind or get them to try something different. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

X2 Excellent advice!

Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars, hitch, wdh