Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

What would you do?

I am noticing something more and more lately when I watch people hitch up their TT's at campgrounds. And I'm sure a lot of it is that some dealers not going through the proper setup and hitching procedure with their 1st time RV customers, but what I'm seeing is people hitching up their TT and putting all the weight of the trailer on the rear of their vehicle and then putting on their bars without "loading them up" by raising the jack first. Now my question is do you say something and run the risk of basically getting the middle finger by telling them they are doing it wrong or do you just let it go hoping it doesn't cause an accident because their front wheels are barely touching the pavement when they leave the campground?
2019 Puma Unleashed 373QSI 5er, Current
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L
divepdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 AM   #2

THANKFULLY, my dealer walked me through a proper hook-up procedure so that I don't screw it up. Also with the load bars, you can't put them in place without lifting the back of the truck up... Unless you are a pro weight lifter and can get the nose of the trailer up in the air with the use of one of those pivot-bars... Now if one had the chain-style WD hitch, I could see them coupling up incorrectly.

As for helping... What kind of neighbor were they? Did they wave every morning? Did they let their kids go screaming through your site at 0600? Did they come over to share their lovely beverages and fire wood? Did their dog bark all day while they were gone? How new to camping are they? Is the sticker still in the window or does their rig have more miles than a Greyhound bus?

I'd be more apt to help a neighbor having hook-up issues that was friendly as to one that was annoying. Sit at the picnic table with the Sunday morning coffee and enjoy the show.

Maybe that's just me...

Steve and Stacy
sfelber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
NH Maple Maker

For their safety and the safety of others on the road I would try to tell them and show them how to do it right. If they want to learn the proper way to do it I could just be saving someone from a very bad day. I find that most campers are friendly and willing to take a little friendly advice.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

I have seen this before as well. I just walked up and asked "would you mind if I show you an easier way to do that?" By wording it this way, you are not telling them they are doing it wrong, you are simply trying to show them an easier method. Then as I was doing it, I explained to them how loading the bars put more force down on the front. They could see the difference in the way the truck was sitting and were very appreciative.
I think many (especially if they are new to camping) are open do being shown an easier way of doing something.
If they have been doing it incorrectly for a long time and have not had an issue, you will never change their mind or get them to try something different. Some people just have to learn the hard way.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't isn't it? My DW says" they'll ask if they want your 2 cents worth" maybe so
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #6

Don't tell tthem that they are wrong.
Instead try telling them you know of an easier way to do it. They must be busting their butts, pulling up the bars. The wife has been doing ours for years ( 100lb soaking wet), hitch weight of 790lb
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
Kasual Kamper

Glad to get confirmation of this practice. I kinda learned this on my own from having a TV that sorely sags once I put the trailer on it.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Most people "Don't " want to be "Disturbed " when Setting Up or Tearing Down" approach at Your own parol! Youroo! !
Old 10-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
D W

I have seen folks put the bars on without loading them, and attempt to remove them under load. I just shake my head.

As far as offering help, I've learned that too many people these days are too thin-skinned to accept constructive criticism or suggestions. It used to be "neighbor helped neighbor", but sadly those days are going away. Nobody wants you to invade their space. How did we get this way?

For the most part I mind my own business. If an individual comes to me and requests help/assistance I am more than happy to help them out.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If I see someone in a gas station that obviously doesn't know how to do it...no way!

Been down that road before and these are the people that get upset about offering advice and pull out guns, knives or worse.

However, at the campground or RV park it is a totally different story.

Every time I go out I help at least one newbie per campground/RV park!

Last month we spent five nights in Sedona, AZ and I helped two out of three neighbors that came and went in the same spot next to me with this very issue!

I had already sized them up before they got unhitched the night before watching them back in to the spot and unhitch.

And the next morning when it was taking them a half hour to back the truck up to the trailer tongue was when I offered my assistance and explained (in easy english, not technobabble trailer geek talk) how to hitch the WD up and why it needed to be a certain way for it to work, and both said that their dealers told them to "Use the fourth chain link every time and you'll be all set!".

In other words, their dealerships let them down in a most serious way.

Both thanked me for helping them understand why their drive from wherever they came from to this RV park was more scary than a creepy clown, and ironically, both of them told me that this was their very first stop on the very first night of their very first trip with their brand new (and very first) TT's.

Both had California license plates, so they both did some mountain driving to get there.

Two things I didn't get in to, which I really wanted to, but didn't want to burst their bubbles right off the bat was that they both were towing TT's that were way too big for their tow vehicles, and the TowMax (aka.- BlowMax) tires that they both ironically had on their TT's.

At least I got them back on the road safer than they were when they arrived...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

Hmmmm. I don't have a good answer to this one. I don't think there IS a good answer to this one..........since every person you might tell this to is different probably.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

I would approach to help..."feel out" how they respond and see if they "act like" they will listen. I am a serious talker and can talk to anyone. I am also a "helper" meaning I will try to help at anytime. If the are standoffish when approached, then they prolly don't want any help. In other words it might be a person by person decision. Good luck and Godspeed for trying to help.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

I hope you offer to tow it for them as well [emoji23]🤷*♂️
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

I like the 'do you mind if I show you an easier way' approach. If they don't want to hear it, you just walk away and wish them a good day.

We've had people show us 'the easier way' and try to pass on the help when we can. When you can show someone and have them do it, the lesson will be remembered.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
When you can show someone and have them do it, the lesson will be remembered.
That is exactly how I do it...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #16

I would make small talk first. Something like (that was some weekend) Maybe about the weather or something fun that happened. Feel them out before just going over and saying to someone that they are doing it wrong or let me show you a better way.
Not all are happy to leave when having fun, I know we are not happy to go back to work and some cant wait to get home too so they may be touchy. Also, if you see someone unhook without raising the jack that would be a perfect time to show them a better way for both hook and unhook. I would be grateful for someone to tell me if there was an easier way. I would not be able to get my bars on or off without raising. I can only imagine how hard they must be working to do that.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #17

Interesting dilemma. I think it would depend on how friendly the folks were throughout the weekend. If they never acknowledged your presence, even with a wave or a "good morning", and you saw it on the day they were leaving, it might be hard to run up and say "hey, wait a minute, you wanna learn an easier way to hook up".

I think some folks are assuming the person is trying to fully engage the WD bars without lifting the trailer up with jack. I read it that they barely engaged them at all.. snugly perhaps.

Similarly, what would you do if you saw someone with a 5er that was obviously too much for the TV? Would you say something?

I think my response would depend on the situation and how approachable I thought the folks were.

Mike
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If I see someone in a gas station that obviously doesn't know how to do it...no way!

Been down that road before and these are the people that get upset about offering advice and pull out guns, knives or worse.

However, at the campground or RV park it is a totally different story.

Every time I go out I help at least one newbie per campground/RV park!

Last month we spent five nights in Sedona, AZ and I helped two out of three neighbors that came and went in the same spot next to me with this very issue!

I had already sized them up before they got unhitched the night before watching them back in to the spot and unhitch.

And the next morning when it was taking them a half hour to back the truck up to the trailer tongue was when I offered my assistance and explained (in easy english, not technobabble trailer geek talk) how to hitch the WD up and why it needed to be a certain way for it to work, and both said that their dealers told them to "Use the fourth chain link every time and you'll be all set!".

In other words, their dealerships let them down in a most serious way.

Both thanked me for helping them understand why their drive from wherever they came from to this RV park was more scary than a creepy clown, and ironically, both of them told me that this was their very first stop on the very first night of their very first trip with their brand new (and very first) TT's.

Both had California license plates, so they both did some mountain driving to get there.

Two things I didn't get in to, which I really wanted to, but didn't want to burst their bubbles right off the bat was that they both were towing TT's that were way too big for their tow vehicles, and the TowMax (aka.- BlowMax) tires that they both ironically had on their TT's.

At least I got them back on the road safer than they were when they arrived...
Seriously?

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #19

At least 75% of all trailers with WDH that I've inspected are set up wrong! In most cases there is nearly zero weight (or very little) on the WD bars.

I see folks simply lifting up the WD bars and putting them on the sliders by hand!

Or using a short bar to lift the WD chains.

Seems to me that lots of dealers have no clue to proper set up of WDH.

BTW... I say nothing when I see this as most will get indignant .........
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #20

It really depends on if you are a people person or not. And you can usually tell if a stranger is approachable or not in the first exchange of words.

If they are very focused on packing up or getting setup, I don't bother anybody. I know I hate it when someone interrupts my routine. I'm disorganized enough without being distracted

Most of us will recognize immediately whether we are being taken as friendly/helpful or just being pushy old farts. Good luck!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bars, hitch, wdh