Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

You shouldn't have to fix anything that warranted. Your frustration is the dealers best friend. I bet terrible dealer practices is the biggest complaint from RVer's. Some have learned to live with it as fixing it yourself seems the norm these days. I probably will never buy a new RV again. It just doesn't make sense. Same with extended warranties. Save the money you would spend on it for your repairs. You'll be money ahead on the average and won't have the frustration of no one wanting to honor them. Here again expect to fix your own... Its the industry norm these days

Old 06-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #12

screw holes

Your best bet for a good repair is to return to the dealer and have it repaired. depending on what is on the inside next to the door, the panel could be loosened and a block slid behind it as suggested earlier. OR the most solid way is to remove the entry door and slide the backer in behind the metal and screw through the door framing member for strength. since you are pulling with levered force this would be the most solid . This should be done in the shop where they have everything they need to do the job.
I would ask for something in return, nothing exorbitant but something maybe you could use while camping from their store. Most dealers would welcome this. most of all be fair ,you will get much farther.
Much better to get it done properly the first time than have to do something all over again.
It is so much better to have good relations between you both than to have animosity.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Even tho' it is definitely their snafu, the simplest way to fix it is to drill the rest of the way thru the wall, make a metal or wooden backer plate and bolt completely thru the wall.
X2
Long trip back to dealer which might result in another slipshod repair. Do it yourself or have a friend help. Should be relatively simple to fix with longer screws and some backing on the inside.

Of course, if you have other warranty repair issues, it may be worth a trip to the dealer.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #14

The dealer sending a tech to your location to repair in the field is in all likelihood not going to happen. Dealers are not set up to do this, both logistically and liability wise.
The dealer should repair the obvious shoddy workmanship, but they will do it at their location. Pre-plan and set up an appointment early in the day, then drop off. A good dealer will throw you a bone, such as buying you lunch or a gift card, but don't count on it. Be happy if it just gets repaired.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
Your best bet for a good repair is to return to the dealer and have it repaired. depending on what is on the inside next to the door, the panel could be loosened and a block slid behind it as suggested earlier. OR the most solid way is to remove the entry door and slide the backer in behind the metal and screw through the door framing member for strength. since you are pulling with levered force this would be the most solid . This should be done in the shop where they have everything they need to do the job.
I would ask for something in return, nothing exorbitant but something maybe you could use while camping from their store. Most dealers would welcome this. most of all be fair ,you will get much farther.
Much better to get it done properly the first time than have to do something all over again.
It is so much better to have good relations between you both than to have animosity.
Sometimes you can't help but be mad at a dealer who doesn't do a warranty Item correctly and up to standards. I had to have a Sirius antenna replaced in my roof. The dealer did such a bad job, that I complained to the manager. He told me that if I didn't like the repair to take it to a different dealer for repairs. I have bought 3 FR trailers from them. I took pictures of the repair and sent them to FR. At Goshen they replaced my whole slide roof. The head guy from FR came to see me. I told him what happened with the dealer. He said that he would call them and no customer of FR should have been treated like that and he would call them. Well I thought it was just BS, but about a month later I got a letter of apologize from the dealer saying FR contacted them. Ask me to come back if I had anything else wrong and needed repair and they would take care of it either in warrenty or not at no charge to me. so sometimes you need to get mad and go over a dealers head.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #16

Fix it your self or have some one else fix it and send the bill with your lawyer name and number to the dealer !
Old 06-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
X2 on the soft approach. I would try for the easiest choice that will yield the desired result.
I agree. No need to get their defenses up prematurely. Good luck!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #18

Request a refund for the labor they charged and fix it yourself.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Request a refund for the labor they charged and fix it yourself.
X2 and forget any lawyer talk and pulling the door frame. It's not that big a repair/fix.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #20

Great responses. I appreciate everyone's input. I wish I could fix it myself. I can do most everything else myself as a nurse and single mom but handy work is one area where I lack ability and confidence.

I'll update everyone on the dealer response. I expect I'll end up paying for this out of pocket with someone local.