Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

What's a fair amount of problems on a new trailer before considering trade in?

How many issues are to many to consider selling, trading or legal lemon? 2nd trip and it's been in already for gray tank leak, cracked table mount and now 12V fridge is dead, pedal for the toilet leaks bad, light above table looks like it's shorting out and our door lock has been taking to many tries to unlock or lock.... So badly we jus use the deadbolt!!!! They also installed a TV mount we requested in the appropriate area but there is NO backing stud or anything in the entire wall and mount ripped out the second I added some TV weight!! I know it's a new camper and all but somehow it passed FR Quality control and the dealers full inspection.
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

I don’t think anyone could answer that for you- your “limit” may be different than mine and mine’s different than Mike’s.

Your problems are unfortunately common. And shame on the dealer for not doing a better install or giving you options if they didn’t have faith in the backing. I know anything I’ve hung, I know if it’s secure or I’m hoping on a wish and a prayer if it’ll stay up (been there on both sides of that fence!).

Legally, a lemon is when an issue can’t be fixed 3 times within a certain period of time. Unfortunately, towables are often excluded from lemon laws.

Generally speaking, to get the manufacturer to take a rig back, lawyers or threats of lawyers are involved. However, once lawyers are mentioned, it’s no longer treated like a normal warranty claim. So, tread carefully. (And honestly, with the forum rules- that’s as far as I think I can mention; if I haven’t already said too much.)
Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #3

Why do you think another one would be any different?
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips52 View Post
Why do you think another one would be any different?
Yeah, sounds like a typical brand-new trailer.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Kasual Kamper

If you're no longer in love with it and the thrill is gone, get rid of it. With humans, it's called "divorce".
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

I would suggest that what you suggest are the problems are manageable.. If you like the design, then keep it and get it fixed by the dealer.. the devil you know.. a new trailer might not be very different..

1. Grey Tank leak.. they can fix it quite easily.
2. cracked table mount and now 12V fridge is dead, pedal for the toilet leaks bad, light above table looks like it's shorting out and our door lock has been taking to many tries to unlock or lock. - they will most likely replace with a new one..

Being the fall, Make a list, take it to them and have them fix everything before you pick it up
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
I would suggest that what you suggest are the problems are manageable.. If you like the design, then keep it and get it fixed by the dealer.. the devil you know.. a new trailer might not be very different..

1. Grey Tank leak.. they can fix it quite easily.
2. cracked table mount and now 12V fridge is dead, pedal for the toilet leaks bad, light above table looks like it's shorting out and our door lock has been taking to many tries to unlock or lock. - they will most likely replace with a new one..

Being the fall, Make a list, take it to them and have them fix everything before you pick it up
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Angry campers get worse year after year

I can't believe how junkie they build travel trailers today. this micro lite I thought would be a great buy and it is the same as the last 2 that I had. I love this camper but the cheap products and quality of build makes It my last one. I have had problems with about everything inside, even a cheap bouncy floor with No water damage, just bad design and products used. Outside, well castle rock crap. My trailer is 3 years old and well maintained as I have repaired everything and see the bad quality of workmanship. I know if you own it, you fix it, but there has to be some pride and quality. not just give me the money. Last one for me.
joe1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizterusa View Post
How many issues are to many to consider selling, trading or legal lemon? 2nd trip and it's been in already for gray tank leak, cracked table mount and now 12V fridge is dead, pedal for the toilet leaks bad, light above table looks like it's shorting out and our door lock has been taking to many tries to unlock or lock.... So badly we jus use the deadbolt!!!! They also installed a TV mount we requested in the appropriate area but there is NO backing stud or anything in the entire wall and mount ripped out the second I added some TV weight!! I know it's a new camper and all but somehow it passed FR Quality control and the dealers full inspection.
Trailers are usually not covered by Lemon Laws.

What you have had go wrong are while aggravating are not serious. I would consider things structural / frame etc. serious. Sounds like some of the issues you have are dealer related.

Sadly all manufacturers are the same as far as quality goes, and to make matters worse I think quality is better today than it was 30 years ago. Our last two campers are much better build quality than our 1988 was.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #10

Maybe this...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ct-195655.html

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #11

What's a fair amount of problems on a new trailer before considering trade in?

They all have a something. I assume it’s newer and under warranty still. If your dealer is able to fix them properly then why get another that may have fewer, or worse, more problems? At least you know what you have with this one. But I agree, these are all repairable or replaceable.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #12

Unfortunately RV's in today's world are DIY projects... most use inferior products at the cheapest price they can get. There are a few builders that do it right and you will pay a premium price for their products, that is what I will do next time I trade up. I would find a new dealer to work on the trailer. There is really no excuses for mounting a TV bracket without backing, unless you told them where to mount it and even then they should have mounted it properly. I gave up on my dealer and will never buy anything from them again... you should do the same.
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

If you love RVing just fix it and go. You will take it in the shorts on a trade or outright sale. I have never heard of anyone not having problems of one kind or another. It's the nature of the beast. I've owned four different rigs over 40 years, and every one of them had their issues. My current trailer is the second I bought new, and while I've had some issues, it has been pretty good so far. Still haven't had the issues I had with my Montana. Broken spring shackles, rubber roof de-lamination, saggy floors, leaking holding tanks, just to name a few. I repaired it and we went camping. Good luck pursuing lemon laws. I don't think they apply to travel trailers. Maybe Motor Homes, but I would imagine only to the chassis, not to the living space. I know it's frustrating, just don't wait till you're on the road to deal with things. Spend your time and get things fixed before you go so you don't get stressed during the trip.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #14

When I bought my previous trailer it had a long list of issues that revealed themselves during the first trip or two.

I started listing them on lined tablet paper. Took the trailer back to the dealer with two pages of defects that needed attention, two single spaced pages of them.

Told them I needed them either fixed or a replacement trailer. Got it back two weeks later with all of the major issues fixed and a few that were still not to my satisfaction but minor enough I just decided to fix myself.

I wouldn't worry about contacting lawyers or such at this point. I would doccument each and every defect/problem you've noted, making a list along with an album of pictures, and giving the Dealer an opportunity to correct them first. I'd also contact FR customer service and send them a "package" with your list and pictures.

Give them a chance first and advise you'd appreciate the issues being dealt within a reasonable time frame. Sometimes the unspoken words are louder than spoken threats.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #15

Like others we had a good number of issues with our Cruise Lite when we took our shake down trip. I started a list and most of the things were something I would fix rather than deal with taking back to the dealer. Then the slide started acting up so I decided it was time to get it in the shop. I got quite a bit of runaround at first but then I found a page on the FR website that had a "Customer Satisfaction" phone number. I called, explained all my issues and sent them the list and my "story". About 2 days later the dealer called and asked if I'd contacted FR. I said I did and from that point forward they were very helpful and resolved all my issues. I even got a follow up call a week or so after I got the trailer home asking if everything was to my satisfaction.

I don't think you should have to go through those sort of hoops, but evidently, that's what it takes sometimes.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, trailer