Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

What's a girl to do.......

We live in Utah, to register and get tags for our Sunseeker we have to have it inspected 😱, the problem we are on the road Won't even be close to Utah to do this, so how does the RV'ers who are on the road full time get around this problem. Hope someone has a answer to this problem..Thanks

Happy Trails 🤓🤓
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #2

Sorry, I don't have an answer. But, I have a similar issue as our TV tag expires while we are on our long summer trips. I need to be in NC for a vehicle inspection before I can renew the tags.
When we return the tag is 60 days expired. It is one of the first things I do when we get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindimac View Post
We live in Utah, to register and get tags for our Sunseeker we have to have it inspected 😱, the problem we are on the road Won't even be close to Utah to do this, so how does the RV'ers who are on the road full time get around this problem. Hope someone has a answer to this problem..Thanks

Happy Trails 🤓🤓
Cindi Mac
You just get it done when you get back, If stopped just say your on your way back, you should have gotten temp tags if new, Mine ran out while out of state just explained it to a cop and they let me go. If your full time you have to get back to the state you have it registered in. A lot of full times have there units registered in the cheapest state they can find but they still need proof of residence of that State. One popular one is Texas and also Arizona. I'm pretty sure I'm correct on that, also call your DMV they can help you out with what to do...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Sorry, I don't have an answer. But, I have a similar issue as our TV tag expires while we are on our long summer trips. I need to be in NC for a vehicle inspection before I can renew the tags.
When we return the tag is 60 days expired. It is one of the first things I do when we get home.

Nc will accept an out of state inspection. However if your in a state such as FL. That doesn't do inspections you are just SOL. Hence the reason all my vehicles except my MC is registered in FL.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Texas has a system and when you go online to renew your registration there is a place to indicate that you are our of state and you are required to have in inspected when you get back to Texas.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

I have sent an email to the NCDMV asking the question. I will let you know what I hear from them.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

Thank you all for the suggestions. Its more than I expected from this website. You all made my day😌😌

Cindi Mac
Old 03-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

call your dmv- nys has online registrations - may not get the tag(unless u have a mailing address)but it will be on computer and you can download and print the completed registration
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #9

Glad I live in Oregon, no inspection register online.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #10

I would still call your local branch and speak to them - they are usually pretty helpful on the phone
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Yea it worked,😊😊😊, went to motor vehicle dept, was able to get an exemption for safety inspection. Thank you for the advice.
Happy trails
Cindi
PS. Wish everything in life was this easy...😬 now if the house would sell lol

Cindi Mac
Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #12

Here in Illinois we have to get an emissions test on our vehicles every two years. We have a car registered in IL but is used and stored solely in WI. We just filled out a spot somewhere on the notice, I think, that it was not in the state. Can't remember exactly how we did it. It was years ago. But if we can do it in Illinois you should be able to do it anywhere. ;-)
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
Glad I live in Oregon, no inspection register online.
Yeah I guess living in the Swamp has it's advantages after all....
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
A lot of full times have there units registered in the cheapest state they can find but they still need proof of residence of that State. One popular one is Texas and also Arizona. I'm pretty sure I'm correct on that, also call your DMV they can help you out with what to do...
In Texas it may be cheaper, but still requires a vehicle inspection. They do not do smog down here along the border and I am not sure if the big cities requires smog inspection.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
... One popular one is Texas and also Arizona. .
Registration in AZ is cheap, but watch out for that Vehicle Tax Our 2010 Jamboree was about $800 a year when we renewed registration last year.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #16

Arkansas has a permanent license for trailers which does not require renewal, but it does require annual assessment and paying of taxes.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindimac View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. Its more than I expected from this website. You all made my day����
You can also check out Escapees: www.escapees.com they are a RV club that caters to the Full Time RV'er.

Solutions abound on the Escapee's site!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
jkoenig24

Utah does NOT allow online registration renewals? Same for insurance? As for vehicle inspection, I'd contact the state agency that handles vehicle inspections and play 20 questions. You may have the option of getting an inspection in whatever locality you're in or, Utah may have a grace period for those out of state. Get the name of the person you speak / deal with. A quick search turned up this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Utah+vehicle+inspections

435-764-1737 looks to be the phone# to call.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #19
TARVIDSON

Montana has no vehicle inspection and has online registration. relicensing my 2015 Prism Motorhome was under $300.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:09 AM   #20

Thanks all!!!. I do believe that I must b a resident of that state to register the RV. We have rented our homes in both NM and Utah. So all I really have is a PO Box to forward our mail, And we found out the hard way with renewing our LICENCE that the state will not forward the renewal, so my concern, which is drive the RV back to UT just to get the darn safety inspection done. I will checkout the "Escapee" site, to see what my options are.
Happy Trails
Cindi

Cindi Mac