Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #21

Costco in Canada carries the husky.

I buy anything I can at Costco since they are usually the best price and have an almost no questions asked return policy.

They husky had good reviews when I researched them to replace my Lippert that died when I had a bumper pull. Dealer covered it with an off brand under warranty.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #22

Last time I hooked the bars up a friend noticed a tire on rear of truck completely off ground so lt more weight than tongue
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #23

Yes, water is the enemy of these units! When we store for the winter, I stretch a ziplock bag over ours. However, I also believe “bigger is better “. Depends on your use frequency. We do a lot of long trips 5 month etc where you may be unhooked an average of every 4 or 5 nights so there is a lot of wear and tear on your jack. Just MHO!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #24

So I ended up getting the Husky HSB5000R. I'm sure it's overkill, but I figured I'd go with the 5000# jack with the good reviews. The cool part is that it also has a remote key fob. Hopefully tomorrow, I can practice backing up and dropping on the ball without exiting my truck. We shall see.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_190147.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	204905
Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
Jayhawker

This is what we use to keep our tongue jack dry and out of the sun/weather. Cheap and effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	204906  
Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
This is what we use to keep our tongue jack dry and out of the sun/weather. Cheap and effective.
Same here, except instead of bungee we use the safety chains to hold bucket on. Much more water repellent than the commercial vinyl cover, which we use while towing.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Much classier than the Orange HD bucket I currently have on it. I ordered a custom cover that had clear plastic openings for the lights and access to the switches. Like the Grinch's heart, it was two sizes too small.

I'm just amazed that they have not figured out how to make these units waterproof. I mean there are a lot of things which are designed to be outdoors, why can't they figure out a tongue jack?
Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #28

Quote:

Man, that’s high tech. Where can I get one?
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #29

Bought a Barker 3500. A little overkill for my 23 footer but it works great.
Rincon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #30

3500 jack from Wesco

Well after 40+ years I broke a Jack, actually bent it. What a pain. Then I called WESCO (used to be Westinghouse Distribution Company in Elkhart) still there but seems to have undergone multiple ownership changes but still at the same place and the same name just new owners The jack on my Flagstaff 29RKWS was an FIC-3500-2 so I called and drove up to get one. This is what I ordered. In spite of Road construction, 2 detours, rush hour traffic, I got there less than 5 minutes before closing and picked it up.

R-DL FIC-3500-2 ELCTR TLR JACK BLK

So last year I thought, I am old enough to break the jack so thought I should have a spare. Ordered another over the phone so this one I had shipped by UPS. Cost a little more but the price was still really right.

R-DL FIC-3500-2 ELCTR TLR JACK BLK Total Cost shipped was $77

The new spare jack is sitting in the garage for the next time I do something really stupid. Seems most places are adding more than 100% markup and the local Flagstaff dealer had nothing less than $225. Now that I have a new spare waiting for my next stupid mistake I should never ever need to use it.
gradeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #31

I bought this one from Amazon...

Here's the one I bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ours stopped working in September and I like this one because of the reviews. It was $117 when I got it last year. Keep an eye on it because I'm sure it'll go back down. It was easy to install and it has worked flawlessly so far.
DaleV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #32

Husky 82084 Super Brute Electric Jack - 4000 lb. Capacity

Had this for the past season. Not one complaint. Compared to the others I've seen or tried, this one seems to be the most solid one on the market.

They do make heavier duty models (i.e. 4,500 pound), but the 4,000 model should work fine.

williamblainbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #33
Newb to Toyhauler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleV View Post
Here's the one I bought from Amazon:

Ours stopped working in September and I like this one because of the reviews. It was $117 when I got it last year. Keep an eye on it because I'm sure it'll go back down. It was easy to install and it has worked flawlessly so far.
The black one is $119. Ordering one now. I'm tired of the manual crank...from level to my hitch is a lot of cranking.
CopperBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #34

The jack that came with our unit had the motor mounted such that I couldn't get the tailgate down with the trailer hooked. The bolt pattern wouldn't allow for rotating the head (3 bolts thus only 120 degree offsets). I bought a Bulldog unit via Amazon that had additional cutouts in the mounting flange that allowed the head to be rotated 90 degrees- problem solved. The Bulldog unit is more powerful, much faster and includes a level bubble on the head. Nice unit!

Bulldog Reese 500200 A-Frame Power Jack 4000# White
Steve_Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:18 PM   #35

The leveling bubble in the head is THE point where water gets in and ruins everything! My first power jack had the bubble. Jack worked great until I went to unhook at a campground for a week-long stay. Ran REAL slow, but finally lifted enough. When I went to hook back up a week later, I needed to borrow a socket and extension to manually crank it up and down. When I got home later that day, even a socket and BIG breaker bar wouldn't budge it.

Bought a replacement that looked about the same - same bubble level, with one difference. It had an O-ring for a washer around the bubble level. Unfortunately, when I looked at it again a few weeks later, the O ring was gone. Now a bucket resides over the top of the jack, and I battle the wasps that want to nest in the bucket!
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #36

My LCI power jack pretty much died the first weekend trip this year after sitting all winter. Taking it apart, I saw it had water intrusion like others mentioned. In my case, the motor developed dead spots from the water and corrosion.

Rather than $185 on Amazon for a new jack, I found several brand new motor/gearbox assemblies on eBay and bought one for $42. it was very simple to install, the wires plugged right in and works like new again.

I also bought a waterproof cover this time so it doesn't happen again. I got the cloth bag type so I can just leave it on and still use the buttons.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric