Old 09-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Whats the best RV membership???

Hello folks, we are newbies to this RV thing and were wondering what is the best membership to get? We are planning a trip to the USA next year for 2 months and we need to know where all the campsites are, how to access them and basically a kickarse directory!! LOL

I hope someone can help us out!!!

Thank you so much!

Jay

Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #2

We have both KOA and GOOD SAM. KOA is a bit more expensive than the average campground, however, you receive a discount and points that add up to $$ off camping each time you stay at a OA. Google both and get the full details.

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
Usually Confused Member

Get the RV Parky smartphone app or the RV Travel Savings Guide by Good Sam (available on Amazon or at Camping World stores/website).

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #4

Get iExit too.....it's Next exit for your phone. Not a 100%, but it's getting there..
Jim
Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #5

After looking at the various apps and books you may find you prefer no membership and just keep all options open. We find we prefer stats and national parks, Corp of engineer, local city campgrounds, etc. Try both on short trips to find what you like.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

The best is this forum! And it's free.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

It really depends on how often you're moving and the dates. For a 2 month trip, I would likely sign up for Passport America as it gives you discounts to many campgrounds, but usually is only good for a couple of nights and excludes weekends. When it works, it can be a great savings. And I would sign up for Good Sam as it often gets you a smaller discount at places without exclusions (usually).

http://learntorv.com/various-members...and-fulltimer/
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #8

As a fellow Canadian I like Passport America. It saves 50% off participating campground daily rates and usually about two nights camping pay the yearly dues. There are usually restrictions on length of stay and weekends or holidays however, when we travel to the US for six weeks or so we usually save several hundred dollars on campgrounds. It may not be for you but worth looking into. Enjoy your RV.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #9

As for campground directories. I use a couple of resources:

1) I tried a lot of apps out and ultimately found that the $10 Allstays Camp & RV was better for me. I tried iExit, RV Parky, and others.
2) www.rvparkreviews.com for checking reviews
3) from a computer (not phone or tablet), RVParky.com has a very simple Trip Planner that I find better than anything else out there. I just hate that it's not mobile friendly.
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It really depends on how often you're moving and the dates. For a 2 month trip, I would likely sign up for Passport America as it gives you discounts to many campgrounds, but usually is only good for a couple of nights and excludes weekends. When it works, it can be a great savings. And I would sign up for Good Sam as it often gets you a smaller discount at places without exclusions (usually).

Various Memberships for the Weekender and Fulltimer | Learn To RV
Totally agree with ependydad. We have Passport America and it usually pays for itself within 2-3 days even with some of the restrictions. Good Sam is good practically all the time and at most all parks. Check their website for more information Passport America Campgrounds and Good Sam Club
You might also be interested in rvparkreviews.com that way you can always check out the campground before making any reservations. These are reviews written by RVers who have stayed at these parks. Have fun in your travels.

2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote