Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Whats the best RV membership???

Hello folks, we are newbies to this RV thing and were wondering what is the best membership to get? We are planning a trip to the USA next year for 2 months and we need to know where all the campsites are, how to access them and basically a kickarse directory!! LOL

I hope someone can help us out!!!

Thank you so much!

Jay
Jay Shockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #2

We have both KOA and GOOD SAM. KOA is a bit more expensive than the average campground, however, you receive a discount and points that add up to $$ off camping each time you stay at a OA. Google both and get the full details.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

Get the RV Parky smartphone app or the RV Travel Savings Guide by Good Sam (available on Amazon or at Camping World stores/website).
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #4

Get iExit too.....it's Next exit for your phone. Not a 100%, but it's getting there..
Jim
Old 09-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

After looking at the various apps and books you may find you prefer no membership and just keep all options open. We find we prefer stats and national parks, Corp of engineer, local city campgrounds, etc. Try both on short trips to find what you like.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #6

The best is this forum! And it's free.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
Always Learning

It really depends on how often you're moving and the dates. For a 2 month trip, I would likely sign up for Passport America as it gives you discounts to many campgrounds, but usually is only good for a couple of nights and excludes weekends. When it works, it can be a great savings. And I would sign up for Good Sam as it often gets you a smaller discount at places without exclusions (usually).

http://learntorv.com/various-members...and-fulltimer/
Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #8

As a fellow Canadian I like Passport America. It saves 50% off participating campground daily rates and usually about two nights camping pay the yearly dues. There are usually restrictions on length of stay and weekends or holidays however, when we travel to the US for six weeks or so we usually save several hundred dollars on campgrounds. It may not be for you but worth looking into. Enjoy your RV.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #9
Always Learning

As for campground directories. I use a couple of resources:

1) I tried a lot of apps out and ultimately found that the $10 Allstays Camp & RV was better for me. I tried iExit, RV Parky, and others.
2) www.campgroundreviews.com for checking reviews
3) from a computer (not phone or tablet), RVParky.com has a very simple Trip Planner that I find better than anything else out there. I just hate that it's not mobile friendly.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It really depends on how often you're moving and the dates. For a 2 month trip, I would likely sign up for Passport America as it gives you discounts to many campgrounds, but usually is only good for a couple of nights and excludes weekends. When it works, it can be a great savings. And I would sign up for Good Sam as it often gets you a smaller discount at places without exclusions (usually).

Various Memberships for the Weekender and Fulltimer | Learn To RV
Totally agree with ependydad. We have Passport America and it usually pays for itself within 2-3 days even with some of the restrictions. Good Sam is good practically all the time and at most all parks. Check their website for more information Passport America Campgrounds and Good Sam Club
You might also be interested in campgroundreviews.com that way you can always check out the campground before making any reservations. These are reviews written by RVers who have stayed at these parks. Have fun in your travels.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
Retired Techie

X2 on the AllStays and I think I have tried most Apps. Especially good for Passport America, Army Corp of Engineers, City/County parks (order that I look when on the road). As for "Clubs" Passport America, Good Sam (for discount at parks only not fuel discount or any other offerings), and am considering KOA. Just returned from a four week excursion from Mich to LA and back. Took PA 50% discount most nights but quality varied. Love COE parks for quality but are usually off Interstate a ways.
Stayed at KOA three nights because they were the best option for the night.
This is just my second year of RVing over 50% of then time so I am sure their ore options I have not found yet.
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
Sunstar35F

Good Sam & Passport America plus Senior Pass for National Parks & Fed Rec lands

First if you are over 62 get a America the Beautiful Senior Pass (Free) for National Parks and Federal Recreation lands. Also helps with discounts at State Parks. Passport America has worked out well for us and we are mostly weekend campers. The first 2-3 nights at a 50% discount covers the membership fee. Also have Good Sam and that has saved us 10% at a lot of Parks so it pays for itself within a year easily. Also gets you fuel discounts at some truck stop gas stations. If you shop or get service at Camping World there are good discounts there as well. One of our friends stay at KOA almost exclusively and of course utilize their KOA membership. My advice is that for the first year pick one or two and see how it goes. Just keep a little log on what you would save. One note on Passport America. Many of the campgrounds who honor that do not advertise that they are Passport America Parks. You have to look in the Passport America directory or mobile app and then ask the campground when you make reservations. It seem many of those campgrounds don't like to advertise you can get a 50% discount.
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

Next Exit, as an interstate travel guide in the USA

And while you're on the road, we have really found the book "Next Exit" to be invaluable. Works on interstates in the USA as it provides an exit-by-exit listing of every service you will need while traveling in all the major categories: food, gas, lodging, camping, shopping, & more.
We really find it a help in identifying not only diesel fuel stops, but more importantly, if the stop can physically handle us and our 32' fifth wheel, once we're there.
Apparently now available both on line by subscription as well as the physical book; but with the number of times we can't get on-line, we've found, over the years, that the book has been of more value to us.
Travel Well!

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

dgkbear

RV Parks & campgrounds best I've used
dgkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #15

We have Passport America - after 3 stays paid for our Annual Membership, we decided to get the Lifetime Membership. Passport America credited our annual membership toward the Lifetime membership!

We have more than recouped the cost of the Lifetime membership in only 1 1/2 years of membership!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkbear View Post
RV Parks & campgrounds best I've used

That's the best apps I have found. I also have Passport America plus GoodSam plus the parks senior pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #17

We are also Canadian & we are Snowbirds. We use Passport America for the half price discounts and AAA RV Plus for trouble on the road. Without the RV, if you have a breakdown AAA will only send one tow truck. With AAA RV they send 2. One for the TT.
We also have the book Next Exit for services along Interstates and we have a 2 year old copy of Woodall's Campground Directory. Buy most everything at Camping World.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post

You might also be interested in campgroundreviews.com that way you can always check out the campground before making any reservations. These are reviews written by RVers who have stayed at these parks. Have fun in your travels.

I used campgroundreviews.com when booking reservations for our cross country trip last July. It was very helpful. To payback, I have so far put in reviews for everywhere we camped from CA to NY via the I-40 (old route 66). I kept my paper itinerary with my campground notes, and soon I will put in reviews for our return trip we did vis I-70.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #19
Traveling Two

Passport America and Good Sam's seem to be the best for us.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #20

+1 for Passport America and Good Sam. We use PA pretty regularly, and it pays for itself after just a couple uses. It's best for one or two night stays while en route somewhere. GS gives a smaller camping discount. We use it mostly for fuel discounts and Camping World discounts. If you decide to join either and want a referral (I believe you get a few extra months on PA with a referral) feel free to use mine. My Passport America number is C-681060. Good Sam is 839950094.
https://www.roadbrewing.com
TheRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote