Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

What's the best way to maintain battery?

We keep our trailer parked beside the garage. An extension cord from the garage supplies power. I keep it plugged in all the time in order to maintain the battery charge. Is it OK to do this? I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons? Will this wear out the inverter? Would it be better to unplug from shore power and just use a battery tender on the battery instead?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggler View Post
We keep our trailer parked beside the garage. An extension cord from the garage supplies power. I keep it plugged in all the time in order to maintain the battery charge. Is it OK to do this? I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons? Will this wear out the inverter? Would it be better to unplug from shore power and just use a battery tender on the battery instead?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

It really depends on your converter, and what kind of charge it puts to the battery. You need to make sure to check/maintain the proper water level if applicable to the type of battery you have.

This may help:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Why is no one ever the right amount of whelmed?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Thanks. After reading the article I was curious about my converter. The trailer was built in 2014 so it doesn't quite fit into the "older" category in the article and according to my owners manual it is supposed to drop its charging level down to a maintenance level. So I put a voltmeter on the battery and got 13.63 volts. I think this is probably too high to be a maintenance level voltage drop.?. Am thinking that it would be better to leave the trailer unplugged and use a dedicated battery tender on the battery.
Thanks for the link.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggler View Post
Thanks. After reading the article I was curious about my converter. The trailer was built in 2014 so it doesn't quite fit into the "older" category in the article and according to my owners manual it is supposed to drop its charging level down to a maintenance level. So I put a voltmeter on the battery and got 13.63 volts. I think this is probably too high to be a maintenance level voltage drop.?. Am thinking that it would be better to leave the trailer unplugged and use a dedicated battery tender on the battery.
Thanks for the link.
WFCO converters (most common OEM converter these days) are spec'd to drop into trickle mode (13.2V) after 44 hours at small constant load. The WFCO in my A-frame would never drop into trickle mode at home, even after 2-3 weeks at 13.7 volts, and the trailer folded down with everything except propane/CO detector off.

I ended up replacing the WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics equivalent. In the meantime, I simply unplugged the camper after 2-3 days to recharge the batteries AND disconnected the battery. If disconnected, a fully charged battery will not need any maintenance for up to 3 months - and then a simple charging for a day or 2 will recharge it completely again.

just my experiences
Fred W
Rockwood A122 A-frame
Old 08-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply.
That sounds like the same thing I am experiencing with mine. 13.6 - 13.7 seems too high for a "floating" or "trickle" charge regardless of what the owners manual says.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
WFCO converters (most common OEM converter these days) are spec'd to drop into trickle mode (13.2V) after 44 hours at small constant load. The WFCO in my A-frame would never drop into trickle mode at home, even after 2-3 weeks at 13.7 volts, and the trailer folded down with everything except propane/CO detector off.

I ended up replacing the WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics equivalent. In the meantime, I simply unplugged the camper after 2-3 days to recharge the batteries AND disconnected the battery. If disconnected, a fully charged battery will not need any maintenance for up to 3 months - and then a simple charging for a day or 2 will recharge it completely again.

just my experiences
Fred W
Rockwood A122 A-frame

Yep, just don't let the batteries drop below 12 volts before recharging as this can shorten battery life.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

Over the weekend, I installed a quick disconnect on each battery, then a solar powered battery tender with regulator on each battery.

I've found them at the local battery stores and at Harbor Freight for $40 to $45 each, they all have great user ratings.

When I get settled in the new home, I will move the 5er from the KOA storage and plug is into a dedicated 50amp/120VAC outlet, along the side of my garage.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery