Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #11
Originally Posted by wvcampincpl View Post
But to answer your question, here in WV the national forests have campgrounds and they are boondocking sites. Some are close to other sites; maybe a dozen in one area but others you may be the only site for a half mile or mile.
That's more consistent with dry camping, boondocking (dispersed) I believe is more of an unimproved site

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #12
Originally Posted by flyrotor

That's more consistent with dry camping, boondocking (dispersed) I believe is more of an unimproved site
Ok I see what you are saying, still learning terminology. In that case the national forests would be dry sites or at least where I have been because you can only camp at designated sites. I guess improved depends on what is considered improved. I am guessing some gravel and a picnic table makes it "improved"

David & Sherry
2012 Wildwood 28BHXL
2013 GMC Sierra SLE
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
You could also be BOONDOCKING if you have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, and NO JACK!! Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
It's a little sad to read this for me. There are many places in Canada where you can still easily boondock. Especially around me in northern Ontario. There is much land that is publically owned still and openly available. Logging opened up a lot of roads to lakes that would otherwise be unavailable.

A backroads map or GPS add on will take you places around here that very few people see, and the fishing is amazing at many of them
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Boondocking tips

The best way to learn how to boondock is to do it. Start with a night or two in a no-hook-up campground, where help and advice and probably a water faucet are available. Talk to other boondockers. Keep a log of what situations shortened your boondocking trips, such as running out of fresh water, gray water tank filling up. Then find ways to overcome them, i.e. carry extra jugs of fresh water, reduce your use of fresh water, etc.
The next step if finding boondocking campsites. Start with public lands administered by the BLM and National Forest Service, as well as Corps of Engineers, state fish and game refuges, state forests, etc.
For even more information, check out my ebooks: [I]Boondocking: Finding the Perfect Campsite on America's Public Landsand 111 Ways to Get the Biggest Bang for Your RV Lifestyle Buck.or go to my Healthy RV Lifestyle website for more RVing info. Happy travels.
bobdifley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Land Between the Lakes (LBL) in Tennessee/Kentucky is a great place to boondock, dry camp or go the full hookup route.

Following the rules and with the proper permit there are many out of the way places to camp.

There are several Campgrounds within LBL.

I have hunted up there many times and have never felt crowded by people. Turkey, deer and ticks are another thing altogether.

kanati is offline   Reply With Quote