Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #21

Wife gave up on trying to really surprise me long ago... says I am not hard to please, but impossible!
So now she says give me a short or long list of your wishes.
She knows if I want a gadget that I want a particular one not just anything for sale.
Has me to make a list of things just like I would buy it... Brand, Model, Name, options etc.
Since my wants are many I always am surprised and it is just what I would buy!
Now she still surprises me with things not on the list... and you guys know if they buy it, you have to wear it!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #22
ARLO

Rules are rules Remember: Happy wife, happy life!
remember to look surprised when you open it.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Bought my wife a Lincoln welder for her birthday.
For Christmas she is getting a table saw.
You're going to love those diamond earrings that she's getting you!

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #24

Jim34RL, nailed it!

Friday is our 49th anniversary. I don't have too many screwdrivers but I got all kinds of BBQ untensils. I think I use three of them.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #25

My wife of 35 years stopped trying to surprise me years ago. If I want something I generally just buy it. This year I figured I'd better talk to her before I dropped $300+ on a TPMS for our RV. To my surprise she said it could be OUR present for each other. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You can never, I repeat, NEVER have too many screwdrivers!

pliers - they seem to have legs
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #27

I Agree with SC. I always did the same with my Son. Drove him crazy! Even when I buy myself something it goes under the tree until Christmas. I'm still excited I finally get to use/wear it after the holiday.
cmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #28
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
For the most part my wife and I buy stuff throughout the year when we see something that we want. We make a list of those things and give special thanks for the ability to afford to live the way we want at Christmas time. We worked hard for what we have and we are making the most of it. Why wait until Christmas to enjoy the items.
X2. I give the kids and grand kids $$ and tell them not to get us anything. Pxxxes them off but we don’t NEED anything, thank goodness, and frankly have too much stuff anyway. Simplify, simplify.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #29

Has made Christmas soooo much easier for all gift giving from DH on down thru the grandkids:

Something they want,
Something they need,
Something to wear,
& Something to read.

Then there is the real 'gift' ... this past year it involved renting a boat for the day to go saltwater fishing on the reef while camping, 2 yrs ago parasailing, last year an annual membership in a local museum. Decided that next year will be jet ski rentals at some time out....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #30

I am not much of a shopper and in past years job demands just made it difficult so my wife buys her own present, wraps it and puts it under the tree. It is really fun on Christmas morning when my older daughters and grandkids see what she got and lay the attaboy Dad (Grandpa) on me. Wife goes along with it.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #31

I don't like surprises, but I very much appreciate when someone takes the time to give me something. Usually the more common or insignificant the gift, the more it means to me. Hands down, my favorite gifts come from my son. That being said, I have never, and will never, go snooping to see what gifts might be given to me in advance. That's cheating! So it's safe to say I'd rather not know in advance and have to sit and stare at the package like the OP said.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #32

Screwdrivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I disagree. I have a drawer full of screwdrivers and inevitably, whichever kind I need (phillips or flathead) I always manage to pull out 5 or 6 of the opposite kind first.

Then I always ask myself, why do I have so many screwdrivers?!?

And up here, in the great white north, Robertson Screwdrivers (Square tip) in addition to Phillips and blade. Now they have TORX screwdrivers as well ( I guess someone didn't like the Robertson?)
The screwdriver / tool companies will have to put their heads together and come up with another one in the next year or two, as we will ALL have the four existing ones in every size in our tool box.
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
And up here, in the great white north, Robertson Screwdrivers (Square tip) in addition to Phillips and blade. Now they have TORX screwdrivers as well ( I guess someone didn't like the Robertson?)
The screwdriver / tool companies will have to put their heads together and come up with another one in the next year or two, as we will ALL have the four existing ones in every size in our tool box.
I have both of those as drill bits. I just built my deck this past summer with all square head screws.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #34

I found out what I'm getting because my wife shopped on amazon and we use the same account. I happened to look at the orders section and saw everything she had ordered. I'm not going to tell her that though. And whatever I buy her will not be on Amazon.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #35

Robertson

Quote:
I have both of those as drill bits. I just built my deck this past summer with all square head screws.
And did you find the square tip Robertson very easy to use constructing your deck? I also (of course) built my deck utilizing the Robertson screw. The Robertson is, probably, the most common screw in Canada! (Yeah!!)
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #36

I like the square head Robertson bits.
Unfortunately, it seems they are on their way out in any home and deck construction. Home Depot doesn't stock them antmore, they are pushing the PosiDrive. Basically a Phillips head with half size slots between the normal Phillips slots. You can use a square drive in them in a pinch.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
And did you find the square tip Robertson very easy to use constructing your deck? I also (of course) built my deck utilizing the Robertson screw. The Robertson is, probably, the most common screw in Canada! (Yeah!!)
I did. The other nice thing about them is they have less of a tenancy to strip out compared to Phillips head if you need to take them back out for any reason.

I just helped my parents take their deck apart since they were moving from another CG to the one we are at. Their deck was built with Phillips head screws and there were a number of them that we simply couldn't get out and had to resort to a pry bar.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #38

Quote:
I have come to hate Phillips heads with a passion. They rank up there with straight slots. I thought Robertsons were great until I started using TORX heads. What Robertsons are to Phillips, TORX are to Robertson. When I rebuilt the deck, I used TORX exclusively, and thanked my lucky stars when I had to remove a TORX head. TORX are readily available at Lowe's. I'm not so sure about Home Depot, as was noted.

Of course, I needed a set of TORX screwdrivers and drive bits. But the TORX bits and tips never seem to wear and strip, unlike Phillips.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Bought my wife a Lincoln welder for her birthday.
For Christmas she is getting a table saw.
Knew a couple in Anchorage that did pretty much the same.

He bought her a Table Saw for Christmas and she bought him a real nice saddle for her horse.

They then just swapped after the gift exchange on Christmas Morning.

FWIW, the older one gets and the more "stuff" they have accumulated over the years, the more difficult it is to buy for them at Christmas.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Knew a couple in Anchorage that did pretty much the same.

He bought her a Table Saw for Christmas and she bought him a real nice saddle for her horse.

They then just swapped after the gift exchange on Christmas Morning.

FWIW, the older one gets and the more "stuff" they have accumulated over the years, the more difficult it is to buy for them at Christmas.
Works great!
I bought her a pool table for mother’s day a few years back. Best gift I ever bought.
Last year she bought me a new truck. Although I still can’t seem to find the keys.........
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote