Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen
wow... I saw this on the Woodalls forum. check it out...very interesting

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Electrical fire hazard from using electric space heaters
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #52
Graduate Member

Update - Got the Vornado - the smaller pyramid looking one. Worked great. That together with my other heater kept the whole MH quite comfy.

Granted, the temp was only around 34-36.

2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Update - Got the Vornado - the smaller pyramid looking one. Worked great. That together with my other heater kept the whole MH quite comfy.

Granted, the temp was only around 34-36.
Interesting you found one. We were just at Home Depot and I purchased another one like the ones we use for $22. The wife likes using one around the house, hear and there, so I figured it'd never make it back to the camper when the new one comes in. Glad to know that you were able to stay comfy with the 2 heaters. I figure if we use the fireplace we ordered in the unit and place a heater in the bedroom and bunkhouse, we ought to be able to keep it pretty comfy too. I still will run the furnace blower just to have some air moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130106_212526[1].jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	22773  

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Okay, but..... RV's don't use receptacles that are used in building construction, and therein lies a problem. I know this thread is going a little sideways, but I thought I would add/clarify something.
That's odd, as our Flagstaff uses regular receptacles. I just changed a ground-fault one last year. Went to the local lumber mart near the campground, picked one up, and it turned out to be the identical, and I mean INDENTICAL unit.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #55
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
Interesting you found one. We were just at Home Depot and I purchased another one like the ones we use for $22. The wife likes using one around the house, hear and there, so I figured it'd never make it back to the camper when the new one comes in. Glad to know that you were able to stay comfy with the 2 heaters. I figure if we use the fireplace we ordered in the unit and place a heater in the bedroom and bunkhouse, we ought to be able to keep it pretty comfy too. I still will run the furnace blower just to have some air moving.
Try a Vornado. It was weird, but the main selling point seemed to be the amount of air movement - and it was ALOT. A ton more than we thought out of such a little thing. Anyway - they run about $75, but we didn't even turn the furnace ON, much less the furnace fan.

Which reminds me - I was thinking about your mod on this last weekend trip. I'll have to double check ours tonight (forgot this weekend), but I think our furnace just has a fan - auto and a fan- on switch. Wouldn't that work the same as your mod (and the same as a home furnace) where you just click "fan - on" and it circulates air?

I'll check that tonight, if I remember.
2012 - 26 days

Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #56
Site Team - Lou

While we have an electric fireplace with a 1500 watt VAC heater, when we have guests and the doors are closed our 5th wheel bedroom gets COLD. We mounted a Wall Mounted Electric Heating | Best Electric Heaters Energy Efficient | Envi High-Efficiency Whole Room Electric Panel Heater on the wall and it keeps us toasty even with the doors closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 July 2011 046.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	22777  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
Graduate Member

I've been reading about those Herk, how did you mount it? That's been my only concern with these, is how to mount it to the RV wall.
2012 - 26 days

Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Try a Vornado. It was weird, but the main selling point seemed to be the amount of air movement - and it was ALOT. A ton more than we thought out of such a little thing. Anyway - they run about $75, but we didn't even turn the furnace ON, much less the furnace fan.

Which reminds me - I was thinking about your mod on this last weekend trip. I'll have to double check ours tonight (forgot this weekend), but I think our furnace just has a fan - auto and a fan- on switch. Wouldn't that work the same as your mod (and the same as a home furnace) where you just click "fan - on" and it circulates air?

I'll check that tonight, if I remember.
If yours does that would be exactly what my mod does. I think I've seen/heard about the Vornado. I just figured since the furnace blower serves the basement/underbelly, it'd be a good idea to use it to recirculate the air, and have some of that warm air flow through those areas. I also like multiple sources for electric heat, wifey seems to always have a need for more heat than the rest of us. Glad you found a solution that works for you.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #59
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
If yours does that would be exactly what my mod does. I think I've seen/heard about the Vornado. I just figured since the furnace blower serves the basement/underbelly,
Didn't know that it circulates below too. Might have to rethink my set up.

But that vornado, when compared side by side to my little "milk house" heater was night and day difference. (exactly like this - Aloha Milkhouse Heater ó 5120 BTU, 1500 Watts, Model# 83030 | Electric Space Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment )

The vornado had a nice even temp and all air circulating within minutes. The smaller (and still 1500w) milk house heater warmed the 3 feet in front of it. I'm really thinking of getting a second vornado, but one new and one old worked well down to about 34.

But I'll definitely take a look at my furnace blower to see if I can control that seperately. Thanks!
2012 - 26 days

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #60
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I've been reading about those Herk, how did you mount it? That's been my only concern with these, is how to mount it to the RV wall.
I used regular hollow wall anchors. The heater is very light and the wall itself does not get hot. I did remove the Valence drapes on both sides because I did not want to chance a fire. I need not have worried as the heat is not hot enough to light the material and the convection air current will not move it around.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote