Old 03-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #11
Thanks again for everyone sharing their opinions, I was looking for other sides which I got. Also thanks to wmtire for keeping thread alive! Lot of locals here making their voice heard and I'll be very surprised if the ban goes any further than just brief discussion. I guess the way me and many here see it is we pay taxes and license fees same as anyone who parks their automobiles on the street (there are hundreds of vehicles parked on the street). With that said I don't see a difference. Ban trailers then you must ban them all and that won't happen.

Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:49 AM   #12
I would not like having campers and boats parked on my city's streets as the streets belong to the public and parking them on the street would inconvenience the motoring public in many instances, however I would disagree with any ban that forbids you from parking it on your own private property.

jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 AM   #13
Site Team
Most communities in Il. have the same ordinance of no trailers in drive,yard or street. Unless your loading for a trip, they may allow you 24 hours or so.
Used to hide my pup in the backyard
Glad I live in a unincorporated area now and the drive works just fine
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 4 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would have to agree with no parking of boats, trailers on the street for more than a few hrs to load or unload. As has be stated, the streets belong to the general public for traffic, not storage. For storage, either use your yard or a storage facility. JMHO
I agree with the folks who have expressed this school of thought. Also, large vehicles parked at streetside can affect the sightlines of those trying to pull out of driveways, in addition to making the roadway narrower. So it can become a safety concern as well.

That said, I would never want to live in a community where I could not park my vehicles where I choose on my own property.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
We are allowed to park whatever for however long we want, as long as it is not on the street.
No commercial rigs parked within the city limits overnight.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
We don't have such an ordinance but those of us with rv's boats and trailers keep them on there property. I keep ours at a gated storage a few miles from home. When getting ready for a trip I bring it home a day or two ahead and back it in the driveway, takes up half and all the way to the sidewalk. I think it's just being courteous to the neighborhood not to park a trailer on the street for extended periods and it is a hazard.
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
I have almost 2 acres of land... Need 10 the way it's laid out. I have more crap than my neighbors like...I am sure. They have crap too. Some yards nice and some not.. Mine isn't the worst and certainly isn't the best, but it sometimes aggravates me to "navigate" through a neighborhood with stuff in the road. I am used to seeing it and if I don't have a trailer it's no so bad. When towing anything it makes me a little nervous. I would never want mine on the street. This is Arkansas and eventually something will hit it. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
Luckily I am allowed to park my pop up in my yard. I park it just to the side of the driveway. I do see RV's parked on the road at times but not normally. I am curious now as to our town's bylaws. Here in MA, we do not really have HOA's. That is just not common for many single family homes.

I do feel that if the RV has a plate and insurance (like a car), then it should be afforded the same right as a car. If the town wants to ban all on street parking for cars, then so be it. I would be against it personally, but the majority wins.

P.S. Interesting thread. thanks for posting.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #19
I park my trailer on the street only to load and unload. One time my neighbor had his Winnebago parked on the street across from mine and there was not enough room to get a car between them. I can also see a safety issue if a child darted across the street from behind a RV it could be disastrous.

48 days camped in 2014 and 14 this year

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
2013 Ford f150
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #20
Here in my city, you cannot park anything on the street or connected to a TV unless you are loading to go. My TT is in my driveway from the time the winter parking ban is over until I winterize and put it long term storage. I asked the question about parking on the street and it ws deemed as a safety issue as firetrucks etc could not get to your house if 30 odd feet of TT is blocking. The city makes the arguement that if a vehicle is parked on the street it could be quickly moved. It would also depend how wide the street was, most new developments, the street closely resembles a single lane. Again here it is against a by-law to overlap a sidewalk if on your side of the street, so on the otherside of the street they are pooched for trying to park anything.

2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote