Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

What's your opinion?

Hello All!
Recently during a city council meeting an issue was brought up regarding people parking campers, boats, and utility trailers in public streets. The proposal is to ban all these types of trailers from public streets and in turn impose fines for not following along. I myself am obviously biased as I own a boat and a travel trailer, but I think this proposal is ridiculous. Now the town I live in is a small river town and we are surrounded by the Mighty Ohio river and State parks to enjoy camping and boating. This type lifestyle here is promoted due to the beautiful country we live in. That being said there are not many places here to park your boat or camper in that are secure (gated). Some of the comments that have come from this discussion have included things like "Campers on the street are an eye sore" and "I want a bicycle lane instead."
I think our council must have way more important issues to discuss but if anything if they want to improve this condition maybe they need to think more along the lines of some standards to invoke such as do not block stop signs etc. My honest opinion is this comes more from opinion of people that do not camp and just don't like to see campers parked. Then I think this is just another way to make the hard working tax payer pay more money. Why they cannot just use some common sense but common sense and politics usually do not go hand in hand.
I would like to know everyone's thoughts on this issue and how this is delt with in your community.

Thanks!
Aaron
Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #2

In Central NY, most towns/villages/cities have parking bans in effect from 2am to 7am where nothing can be parked on the streets.

As far as campers, trailers, boats, etc, most people, myself included, park them on their lawn. My town has a law where a camper cannot be on the property for more than 24 hours straight. It's not really enforced though unless codes gets a complaint from a neighbor. Thankfully, I'm close with my neighbors.

For the people that can't park on their property due to either room or steepness of their property, they simply rent space from someone like UHaul or a self storage facility and park it there until they are ready to load up and head out.

Frank
Whitesboro NY
2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500 5.7L
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

This has been the ordinance in my Boro since the 70s - long before I lived here. It's also a blue-collar dominant town too, and has been since after WWII. We are right on the river, have a popular boat ramp, historic battlefield and fort, and a Scout campground. Boats, campers and livelihood trailers abound. No one except a landscaper took issue with the no street parking, but he got nowhere. Never a problem to park on your property till a couple years ago when mayor and council changed. They literally changed 5 words in the ordinance, and advertised the council meeting to vote the minimum by law - 1 local print only paper. Those five words effectively banned ANY such parking in the Boro! I know the Chief of Police well, and he tipped me off before enforcement began. We faught back in ways they had no idea the "commoners" (as the clerk called us) could and had it rescinded. The will of the few don't stand above the many when organized and informed and approach with controlled emotion but fierce conviction! Our neighbors love our camper, and residents out walking any given night stop and talk about camping, travel, and campfires! It's in the front driveway all season, and far from an eyesore as it's maintained immaculately as is our home and my bluegrass lawn! Be heard, be active, and don't let decisions that effect you and your home happen without your input, even if it doesn't go your way there could be compromise. I know another town where they negotiated storage for residents on municipal property.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

Slippery slope on this one fore sure.

Just my opinion though, the street should not be used as a permanent home for a car, truck, camper or boat. Unless it is a defined parking spot where there is no driveway. The street is not your property, it is everyone's who pay taxes to use the street. Should you be able to use it for a period of time, 24/48 hrs, my thought is yes.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

Appreciate the replies from everyone so far and I will definitely make my case to council. From social media I have a feeling the topic will not go far as many are uniting.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Im kinda with x96.
And I hate driving down streets that are narrowed from cars, trailers etc. Parked on the street. And to me i think it can be an eye sore. I would much rather see them neatly parked in the yard or drive, but no matter where it is, some people could make anything look trashy.
I understand the ops most likely has a rather new camper like a lot of us on the forum, so most of us might not be the "eye sore" issue.....but there are always the ones that will have a tarp over thier camper or a cousin Eddie rig or a car on jack stands for months, that can ruin it for everyone, so i can see the counsels point.

I don't have a good answer for solving the op's problem, but sounds like a storage lot or storage facility could be a profitable venture in his town!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Im kinda with x96.
And I hate driving down streets that are narrowed from cars, trailers etc. Parked on the street. And to me i think it can be an eye sore. I would much rather see them neatly parked in the yard or drive, but no matter where it is, some people could make anything look trashy.
I understand the ops most likely has a rather new camper like a lot of us on the forum, so most of us might not be the "eye sore" issue.....but there are always the ones that will have a tarp over thier camper or a cousin Eddie rig or a car on jack stands for months, that can ruin it for everyone, so i can see the counsels point.

I don't have a good answer for solving the op's problem, but sounds like a storage lot or storage facility could be a profitable venture in his town!
Storage facility would make some good money. To be honest I have yet to see an eye sore setup though especially in the neighborhood I live in. For instance my camper is a 2015 and my neighbors goose neck is I would say a $50-60K coach, also the neighbors down the street have a really nice unit. It's not like anyone around us has the street trashed. I think some guidelines need to be set as how close can park to stop signs, intersections etc. but again my opinion it's a little too late to impose such a law now. My street is pretty private, if I cannot use it to park anything on then what purpose is the extra curb room?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #8

As x96 says..."The street is not your property, it is everyone's who pay taxes to use the street. Should you be able to use it for a period of time, 24/48 hrs, my thought is yes. "

However, that being said there are even rules restricting that. In numerous areas in this city they cannot have anything even a truck parked in the their own driveway after 9pm. It must be in a garage. These are part of the HOA rules. Also their grass cannot he taller than 3" and must be watered only between 5-7pm. They are set up like this to make life the way these people want it...orderly. I do not live in an area like that and will not. I park my MH on the front lawn if I wish. BUT then as the first sentence says....The street is not your property and I do not have to drive an obstacle course to get down your street.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Would have to agree with no parking of boats, trailers on the street for more than a few hrs to load or unload. As has be stated, the streets belong to the general public for traffic, not storage. For storage, either use your yard or a storage facility. JMHO
Old 03-14-2015, 03:36 AM   #10
Site Team

The site team has been discussing this thread, and wanted to make sure it adhered to the 'no politics unless RV related' guideline, which it does. It should be good to go, as long as it stays that way.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #11

Thanks again for everyone sharing their opinions, I was looking for other sides which I got. Also thanks to wmtire for keeping thread alive! Lot of locals here making their voice heard and I'll be very surprised if the ban goes any further than just brief discussion. I guess the way me and many here see it is we pay taxes and license fees same as anyone who parks their automobiles on the street (there are hundreds of vehicles parked on the street). With that said I don't see a difference. Ban trailers then you must ban them all and that won't happen.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:49 AM   #12

I would not like having campers and boats parked on my city's streets as the streets belong to the public and parking them on the street would inconvenience the motoring public in many instances, however I would disagree with any ban that forbids you from parking it on your own private property.
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 AM   #13
Site Team

Most communities in Il. have the same ordinance of no trailers in drive,yard or street. Unless your loading for a trip, they may allow you 24 hours or so.
Used to hide my pup in the backyard
Glad I live in a unincorporated area now and the drive works just fine

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would have to agree with no parking of boats, trailers on the street for more than a few hrs to load or unload. As has be stated, the streets belong to the general public for traffic, not storage. For storage, either use your yard or a storage facility. JMHO
I agree with the folks who have expressed this school of thought. Also, large vehicles parked at streetside can affect the sightlines of those trying to pull out of driveways, in addition to making the roadway narrower. So it can become a safety concern as well.

That said, I would never want to live in a community where I could not park my vehicles where I choose on my own property.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #15

We are allowed to park whatever for however long we want, as long as it is not on the street.
No commercial rigs parked within the city limits overnight.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

We don't have such an ordinance but those of us with rv's boats and trailers keep them on there property. I keep ours at a gated storage a few miles from home. When getting ready for a trip I bring it home a day or two ahead and back it in the driveway, takes up half and all the way to the sidewalk. I think it's just being courteous to the neighborhood not to park a trailer on the street for extended periods and it is a hazard.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #17

I have almost 2 acres of land... Need 10 the way it's laid out. I have more crap than my neighbors like...I am sure. They have crap too. Some yards nice and some not.. Mine isn't the worst and certainly isn't the best, but it sometimes aggravates me to "navigate" through a neighborhood with stuff in the road. I am used to seeing it and if I don't have a trailer it's no so bad. When towing anything it makes me a little nervous. I would never want mine on the street. This is Arkansas and eventually something will hit it. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #18

Luckily I am allowed to park my pop up in my yard. I park it just to the side of the driveway. I do see RV's parked on the road at times but not normally. I am curious now as to our town's bylaws. Here in MA, we do not really have HOA's. That is just not common for many single family homes.

I do feel that if the RV has a plate and insurance (like a car), then it should be afforded the same right as a car. If the town wants to ban all on street parking for cars, then so be it. I would be against it personally, but the majority wins.

Vin.

P.S. Interesting thread. thanks for posting.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #19

I park my trailer on the street only to load and unload. One time my neighbor had his Winnebago parked on the street across from mine and there was not enough room to get a car between them. I can also see a safety issue if a child darted across the street from behind a RV it could be disastrous.

48 days camped in 2014 and 14 this year

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
2013 Ford f150
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #20

Here in my city, you cannot park anything on the street or connected to a TV unless you are loading to go. My TT is in my driveway from the time the winter parking ban is over until I winterize and put it long term storage. I asked the question about parking on the street and it ws deemed as a safety issue as firetrucks etc could not get to your house if 30 odd feet of TT is blocking. The city makes the arguement that if a vehicle is parked on the street it could be quickly moved. It would also depend how wide the street was, most new developments, the street closely resembles a single lane. Again here it is against a by-law to overlap a sidewalk if on your side of the street, so on the otherside of the street they are pooched for trying to park anything.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote