Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #1

Wheels off the ground

I have a Georgetown 351ds class A motorhome. I just parked at my site in Moab KOA. Site 105. Put the levelers down and both front wheels are off the ground about an inch. I have no idea if this is ok or not it's never happened to me before.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #2

I would suggest putting some blocks of wood under the tires. It would make it more stable and take some of the pressure off the jacks. I always carry a small amount of 2 x 6 and 2 x 8's of various lengths to help level the MH.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #3

Its 11pm now and I have now blocks of wood or even rocks to stack under the tires. I'll have to go out and look for some in the morning.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #4

No problem having them off the ground. Done all the time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #5

Theres two other rigs I can see near me that also have front wheels off the ground. I thought that it would stress the front suspension
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 AM   #6

Front wheels off the ground is perfectly fine, no need to do anything special. Rear tires off the ground is a safety no-no because the axle with the parking brakes is no longer preventing the vehicle from rolling or sliding.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

They are called "levelers" not "jacks", to support the weight of something off the ground is never a good idea. Think of the damage it would cause if the level system failed. I've seen this happen to someone with just a couple of inches off the ground
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

I drive a Georgetown 31L5.

I occasionally park where front (never back) tires are off the ground.

As a precaution, I over jack the front, place leveling blocks under the front tires, and then re-level. That way all tires are on the ground.

If, for some reason, I didn't have the leveling blocks with me, I would let the front tires be off the ground and not worry (a lot) about it.

Here is a link to the blocks I use: (Walmart or Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...s%2C218&sr=8-3
Old 07-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #9

Having the front wheels off the ground is not a big problem, but the rear wheels must be down for the parking brake to work. I no longer depend on the automatic option when leveling. Instead I look at the jack display and put the jacks on the high side first to just take up pressure, then I deploy the lower side jacks until the rig is level. For one thing, there is much less chance to raise any wheels off the ground and the jacks do not extend as far.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #10

fifth wheel - wheels off the ground

This just happened to me as well. I noticed afterward that the campground spots looked level, but were actually slightly uphill. I dropped the front jacks, and when I hit the autolevel, the final position was a completely raised RV - wheels off. I have been thinking about this and think I could have possibly manually re leveled by dropping both front and rear jacks but did not do so. I would have thought the logic in the autoleveler would keep the wheels grounded, but apparently not always if you are tilted up. This was not a huge upward slope. Never have seen this happen before on any other spot. I also have air bags in my truck and plan on checking for level BEFORE I unhook and autolevel from now on. I wonder if the bag was accidently overinflated giving me even more of an upward slope when I unhooked. I know some of this doesn't apply to class C, but do you know how level you were before the system leveled ?
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2camp View Post
They are called "levelers" not "jacks"

They're actually called "leveling jacks."
Old 07-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #12

We have a smaller Moho but occasionally have the same situation. No big deal. No harm. No foul.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
They are called "levelers" not "jacks", to support the weight of something off the ground is never a good idea. Think of the damage it would cause if the level system failed. I've seen this happen to someone with just a couple of inches off the ground
From the advertisement for your motorhome:

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...n-3-series-gt3
Quote:
Standard appointments include automatic hydraulic leveling jacks...
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #14

I see people with their front wheels several inches off the ground all the time. I am not comfortable doing that, even with blocks, so if the auto level keeps bumping it up and down excessively I will do it manually until I'm happy with it.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #15

I do see.what your saying but on a fifthwheel it supports it constantly and i have never seen or heard of fail safe for them. To me it looks like the same style ram.
Quote:
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel