Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Wheels tires and axles

Should my wheels look like this? My trailer is only a few months old and I noticed this when I pulled into my driveway. I also looked under the trailer and it also appears that the axels bow up in the middle. Is that typical or did I get some sort of lemon? Thanks for any assistance.

Chris[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	FA1B81F6-F3F4-4F88-9E56-55682D9D432E.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	204760[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EE31FB2-DCD6-4C0F-8E93-FFC23882A5B1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	204758   Click image for larger version

Name:	3FA46A09-C553-428C-A4EE-6AD4611CE570.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	204759  
BaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

Tires typically look like this when you turn a corner. Do you have to back into your drive at an angle? I'm thinking your tires might look normal if you hook on straight and pull up and back in, taking the side stress off the tires caused by a turn.
And yep, most trailer axles are bowed.
It is a little concerning that the one tire/wheel is angled out so much (leaning). Might want to have that looked at by a professional.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

When I back the trailer into my driveway, I have to pull forward and then back to straighten the tires/axles. If I don't, and the tires are really out of whack, I can get tongue movement after I unhitch where the jack foot just about slides off the Lego block. Scary when the trailer shifts like that.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks. I was worried I got a defective unit. Will it hurt the trailer if I leave it like that for a day or should I straighten up? Thanks again for the help!
BaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaRV View Post
Thanks. I was worried I got a defective unit. Will it hurt the trailer if I leave it like that for a day or should I straighten up? Thanks again for the help!
Just jack up each tire slightly and it will fix it without having to hook up your tow vehicle. I use to have to do that with my boat trailer as there was no good way to pull forward and back again.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

I have a very restricted approach to our TT parking spot in the driveway and minimal room to pull straight forward after it's in its spot. I do like Babock said - I jack up each wheel until it's off the ground so it can go back to a normal orientation. My thought is if I don't do that, it will put a strain on the spindle that might lead to premature failure. A bit of extra effort but I think it's worth it.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

I am not worried about the spindle..just the tires themselves. The spindle has a lot more forces put on it all the time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Tires typically look like this when you turn a corner. Do you have to back into your drive at an angle? I'm thinking your tires might look normal if you hook on straight and pull up and back in, taking the side stress off the tires caused by a turn.
And yep, most trailer axles are bowed.
It is a little concerning that the one tire/wheel is angled out so much (leaning). Might want to have that looked at by a professional.
Yes to the above. All this misalignment is due to the fact that your trailer is parked with the residual results of turning. Pull straight ahead eight feet and everything should look fine. Yes, the axles are arched at the factory to give the proper camber when they are loaded.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, wheel