Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
Explorer

I just read my post this morning and I think my grammar needs some help; went a little fast last night. The Balloon Fest was in October, Fall not Spring, and the we took 18 days with no school holidays at that time.

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #22

While it can be frustrating to find your normal spot full up, I will say it has forced me to explore a little and find other places to go. That so far has resulted in interesting trips/locations I would never have thought of taking and 1 campground I know I will never stay at even if my tetnis booster is recent.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #23
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
It would be much easier to get sites if you were not allowed to book them a year in advance. PA State Parks allow booking 11 months ahead. Assateaque SP in MD allows 364 day advance booking. How many of us can book that far ahead. They should start cutting back to a few months in advance.
Personally, I like the idea I can book up to a year in advance - and it's all MD State Parks, not just Assateague. I take full advantage of that fact and PA's long advance booking, too.
Now, when it comes to Federal campgrounds - Army Corps of Eng, US Forest, Bureau of Land, etc. - there's a 6 month advance reservations. Have you ever tried getting a lakeside site in Seven Points at Raystown Lake? I'd love to know the secret.
DW and I actually start planning now for our trips next year - where we want to go, how many times and for how long. 9 trips planned this year, at least three of them are 5 or more days. 9 mini-vacations with a couple of them a little longer than the others. Looking forward to each and every one.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #24

We've booked a Washington state park prior to and over labor day for the past several years - and had a terrible time get the reservations, since they started booking 9 mos out and magically all the weekend spots were taken by the time we booked. Apparently, people were gaming the system since there were no cancellation penalties prior to arrival date.

They changed it this year, and it really made a difference. Any changes incur a change fee AND you lose a portion of your per night fee for the nights you cancel - and the closer to the date, the larger % it is.

I really prefer to know where I'm going to be staying, so I do prefer the reservations myself - but it's frustrating when you can't find a spot where you wanted to stay.

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #25

Update....Since I went ahead and canceled our trip to Table Rock before I re-booked another site and between all the stuff we have going on this summer its just not going to work out this year. Even though its pre school, they are going to be doing some really cool stuff that week and it will be the last time he sees some of his friends as they all are not in our district where he will go next year. Insted... I think I more than made up for it by booking a 10 day trip to to Door County WI just before the kids go back to school. MY wife spent a lot of time up there as a kid and it didnt take much convencing. I am putting down the deposit Friday at the Wagon Trail Campground. If you have any photos of this spot....please share. The reviews for this campground are great. As much as I complained about the winter here...By August the temps there should be mid 70's and inthe 50's at night. Awesome! This will be our first trip over three days and out first multi day travel event. It should be fun.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
DW and I actually start planning now for our trips next year
That would be great if everyone was able to plan that far ahead. My kids are in other activities that have events scheduled over the summer. We do not know a ear in advance when those events will be. I could pull them out of those activities to go camping however, we pay a lot of money for the kids to participate and I also believe that if you sign up for something you show up for the activities & events. I really irritates me when kids are signed up for baseball (I help coach) and they don't show up for practices or games half the time. When you only have 10 kids & only 8 show up because the others decide last minute to go on vacation the team suffers.

I know PA has a 11 or 12 month advance reservation. A lot of the state parks we visit are not bad to get into except for certain times. You would have a better chance of getting that "Dream Spot" at Raystown if the advance reservation was cut shorter.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #27

I remember the days, when we would leave after work on Fri get to the campground, find a camping spot and set up. No reservations and could always get a spot, those days are long gone. Life just isn't like it use to be, but camping is still as fun. Enjoy your fun camping days with your child, you will never regret it.
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping

« Fading | windjammer »