Old 06-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #21
We were headed to Key West last and stayed in Davie KOA overnight. In the high 90's all day. About 5pm started a/c 99 degrees in rv. at 8:30 only came down to 92 degrees I knew we were in trouble. Had no toad so called a cab and headed for the Comfort in in Plantation Next morning headed home. Funny thing bought a toad before we left and was going to get it set up when we got home the following week. Still in shop waiting for new a/c and just got the toad back all set up with Blue ox.We'll do the trip again next month. When you have no a/c and it's in the high 90's IT'S TO HOT TO CAMP.

poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #22
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Yes we take up a lot of sites , but look how much money we are pumping into your economy , I know the owners of the camp grounds never say no to our cash
I get it, but the economy doesn't help us find camping spots. We work full time, so traveling to other states isn't feasible very often.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #23
I have two a/c. One will keep everyone freezing.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #24
Never too hot to stay home! Back in the early 90's I had a Rockwood pup with no A/C or anything else. Just a plain Jane. I was camped in Las Cruces NM the 1st week of July and remember checking the temperature at was still 107. We survived.
'15 F150 Ecoboost Maxtow Scab '13 Freedom Exp. 233RBS
Days camped 2016 53,
Days camped 2015 33,
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #25
Professional Curmudgeon
Single 15k unit here, too. Temps outside today reached 98F but inside camper was 75F. Could have been colder, but I had it set to 75.
Manufacturers do say to cool down in stages. Start at 10 to 15 degrees F lower than ambient, then another 5 or 10, and keep bumping it down until you are comfortable.
2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #26
My TT is very similar to yours, 26TBSS. I have triple bunks where you have two double size bunks.

I got to try out our newly replaced 15K dometic at Sam Houston National Forest
this past week. Temps were in the low 90s during the day and my spot had shade on one side. Typical near 100% humidity in my area.

The A/C kept up great, but I also put some measures in place to assist it.

-Tinted the front bedroom windows and rear bunk window (20%), this was done at first to block light at night, works great at reflecting heat too.

-Roll of Reflectix from Home Depot, cut to fit big u-dinette window, couch window, shower skylight and bathroom vent (ALOT of heat comes in from the skylight and vent)

-Reflectix type cover made to fit for door window

-Awning down on sunny side
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS / Fastway e2 1k WDH

2016 Ram 2500 CC 6.4L 4x4
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #27
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
This is my first summer with a travel trailer, so no experience in the heat. We've got a trip planned for Father's Day weekend, and of course a major heat wave will be spreading over the south and the plains states. Where I'm headed, temps are forecast around 97 by day with the low being around 72. 27' box and one 15K AC. There will be some shade and we'll find stuff to do during the day away from the trailer, but my biggest fear is really at night. I'm picturing 85 degree air blowing on me in an 80 degree camper at night.

What's been your experience? Seems everyone travels through the summer, so is it really that bad?

First hand experience will be your best answer. And everyone fares the heat differently.

For us, we have decided when it reaches the 100 degree mark and above, and depending on the humidity also, we would rather stay home and enjoy ourselves rather than be out in the miserable heat. We are ones that don't like being cooped up in our TT. Not our idea of a great time. So to us there's always other outings to enjoy, so missing one trip won't be the death of us.
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #28
Don't know miserable heat and have only run the a/c 3 times in the past 5 years.

My secret is to camp above 10,000 feet ASL. At these altitudes, overnight temps are in the 30's an daytime temps are very pleasant and range form the 60's to 70's. We are heading out this morning to a campsite at 11,300 ASL and we are ready with two full propane tanks to ensure we stay nice and warm at night.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #29
We generally don't book sites in July and August because the temps are unpredictable. We'll play it by ear and if the temps cooperate we go. If it's so hot I have to hide inside the TT, we'll opt for home
2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #30
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
We generally don't book sites in July and August because the temps are unpredictable. We'll play it by ear and if the temps cooperate we go. If it's so hot I have to hide inside the TT, we'll opt for home
X2 - Normally we avoid camping June thru Sept. When we do, it is best to park in the shade to help with AC, and be by a nice spring to swim, float, snorkel, and just stay cool!

If I want / need to stay inside, we might as well stay home and by the pool! I do understand the need to go in the summer months with kids and the school break, so just go and make the best of it with everyone's suggestions !

Have fun !

2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is online now   Reply With Quote