Old 10-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
When is it too windy to tow safely?

Heading home tomorrow and they are forecasting 22 mph winds.

My rig is 11' high and 35' long.

Is this safe or am I asking for trouble?

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Here in MD wind restrictions go up on our bridges over the bay and rivers at 40 mph sustained, meaning no house trailers can cross.

I can only tell you from experience towing our former Windjammer TT (34.5 feet long), at above 20 mph sustained, it was a TON of work and exhausting.

DW and I did a return home from the eastern shore/ocean of MD to central MD in 25 mph sustained winds. I hurt after getting home, plus more than one white knuckle moment was had as gusts hit us. Our sway bars surely helped, but it is still just a sail behind you. I am sure you know this already.

Good luck and safe travels.

(SOB) 5'er - Alpha Site
TV - 2015 F-250 Platinum (Betty)
Overnights... 2016 - 18 (so far), 2015 - 23, 2014 - 7
Deciding if the full time lifestyle is for us...
Mobilemikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
Site Team
If you drive in higher winds, try to go slower and maybe stick to back roads. I try to avoid heavy winds but work schedules don't always allow for that. 20-25mph will be tiring but it is possible if you do it safely. If you feel it is unsafe, just pull over and ride it out til it dies down. If you are in mountains or going over long bridges that will be worse.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Just drove 200 miles with 20-30 mph winds. Definitely could feel the higher gusts push the trailer a bit. Slowing down is good advice. Each rig is different and a heavy tow vehicle helps a lot. Only you can decide if you feel safe or not.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Was driving through the Pecos country in TX with signs on the side of the interstate warning of dangerous cross winds. I agree with the above advice that speed makes all the difference. 60 mph was much more manageable than 65.
gspot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Mod free 5er
Heading into or having a tail wind is no problem. Side winds are a whole different animal. Much harder to pull a tt in side winds than a 5er, but both are a challenge.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
If higher winds are forecast, I typically fill my fresh water and add to the black and grey water tanks. My fresh water tank weighs 800 pounds all by itself. The tanks are low in the trailer and the stabilizing weight adds up quickly. Slow down and consider stopping or changing course if the wind gets worse.

2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
It depends on the weight of your trailer and if it's a true or 5th wheel and if the wind is coming from the front/back or side. I have pulled off at truck stops a few times when experiencing side winds.
Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
All good advice. I drove the I-10 across Texas & west from El Paso pulling a 37 foot TT. The worst was the 40 miles straight north from El Paso to Las Cruces, NM. Cross winds were unbelievable! Don't. Know
how sting but definitely white knuckle all the
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Heading home tomorrow and they are forecasting 22 mph winds.

My rig is 11' high and 35' long.

Is this safe or am I asking for trouble?
On 21 March My 2014 27RR was 10 ft high 34 long fullwater tanks pulled by 2014 F250 Lariat crewcab diesel on Highway 95 at dusk Hawthorne Nevada....(Did not know three semi's blew off earlier in the day) 65 mph started blowing me around...hit the diesel hard which straitend me out...then hit trailer brakes that got me to 50 mph and controlled ! another block down that road we were hit with something like 80+ wind ...everything rolled down mountain destroyed ....rolled many times but F250 air bags all went off, set belts kept wife and I in tops kept roof up ...and an EMT just off work was first responder ! All I remember was helicopter ride to Reno Renoun Hosptial in snowstorm ! 6 weeks in rehab there and my broken neck repaired here in Minnesota 27 july.....31 july I got use of right arm n hand back ...wonderful. Wife sufferd fractured sternum n ribs 4 weeks in hospital. Now have new F250 king ranch diesel and looking at Wolfpack trailering to you all...In January Im gonna find that EMT to extend thanks...for truck photos send email to

juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote