Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

When it rains, it pours...

Yesterday....hub bearing gave up the ghost and nearly caught the whole rig on fire...weekend of camping down the drain along with some more money. Today took the trusty green machine (2011 green Ram TV) to find out the random pinging that has developed my be more serious than I thought....possible rotating assembly issue. Thank you Dodge for 100k warrantees.

At least I got to feel up the new 2500 Cummins while I was waiting for the rental counter to open..I would love to get in one of their beds...but it would make the wife jealous.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
wow... must be the summer of bad bearings. Sorry for your luck.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Never thought of it that way...might need to buy some stock in Timken and Clevite.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

Update- Orginal shop that did the axle work innitally pushed back esentially saying these things happen until i reminded him that I paid him to inspect the bearings and also that it appears that the castle nut lock was missing after i pulled the dust cap off. His tune changed.....and agreed to look at it. We have not come to any agreement but I assume i will be sharing in the cost of the repair. I am ok with that within reason....because i cant exacty prove he did anything wrong and he cant prove he did it right. He was not willing to pay anyone else to do the work and picked up the trailer on a low boy flat bed. Impressive! Wait and see i guess. Truck is still in the shop....they believe it to be a lifter that may have collapsed.....Its been a fun week.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

I just purchased a used 2013 grey wolf definatly going to check wheel bearing before we go camping in a couple weeks
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

I know now it pays off to do the work yourself.....I think I am also going to get a spare set of bearings to keep on hand I case this happens again. What bothers me the most is that when you pay someone for a service you expect they are competent able folks doing the work and there is no need to double check their work...I was wrong. After this is all said and done i am going to pull the remaining wheels and replace all the bearings just for peace of mind. This really has the wife freaked out....and I understand why.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

Ry,

Ya know bearings fail due to poor assembly, poor lubtication, or overload! Watch your load as well including side to side. Sounds as though those axles are bout maxxed out as designed and fitted.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #8

that's not a bad idea to keep a spare set of bearing and some grease. definatly be better then leaving you trailer along side the road
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #9

Years ago I had a small popup and a trailer for hauling my motorcycle. When I would go on a long trip, I would pull the entire hub assembly off the motorcycle trailer, bag it - grease and all - and carry it in the popup. Of course, I never needed it, but I tend to overprepare.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Ry,

Ya know bearings fail due to poor assembly, poor lubtication, or overload! Watch your load as well including side to side. Sounds as though those axles are bout maxxed out as designed and fitted.
I think you are on the right track here..It seems the MFR's now days are putting the least amount of anything they can into the product. When you look at some of the running gear on any of these trailers its hard not to scratch your head and wonder how these components take all the abuse....Spring shackles, Bolts bushings and what not supporting the 2-3 tons of load in all directions...
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Site Team

X2 on the extra set of bearings. Did that with all my trailers / campers...except the one I have now.....thats gonna change!! Although I never once need them.
Good luck with your toys ry!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

maybe the reason he (dealer) insists on doing work themselves is because they screwed up and they know it. somebody else would be able to point out what DIDNT go correctly with their repair and he doesnt want that happening.

just an opinion, but sometimes im skeptical.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

Considering the equivelent of the cotterpin was missing....I think you may be right. Its a shame to as they seem to have a good reputation in the Heavy truck/trailer world and I litterly could walk to the shop from my house. In the last year they started catering to the RV folks even offering storage, Ice, propane and even a dump station for the storage customers. He did already go a long way getting a heavy haul flatbed to move the trailer 30 miles to his shop. We will see how it plays out.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #14

Anyone use a synthetic axle grease such as Mobil 1.

I have the Ezlube hubs on my 266, I plan on putting in a couple of pumps in each before the next trip out.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho
Anyone use a synthetic axle grease such as Mobil 1.

I have the Ezlube hubs on my 266, I plan on putting in a couple of pumps in each before the next trip out.
Not sure would help much. Grease begins to fail when the soap liberates the oil whithin. Don't think better oil would help that situ.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote