Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #41

I'll admit I'm lazy. I never worry about what's on the slides before I bring them in, unless it's water. Then I just raise/lower the nose until it runs off, then bring the slides in.

Pine needles and leaves don't bother me or the slides so I just ignore them unless there is a whole trees worth up there. I'm usually on the roof removing the Tailgater, so I might holler for Liz to hand me up a broom to sweep off a pine cone or meteorite. Those things are a little too big for the slide sweeper to handle.

We had a unit with slide toppers and hated them. I tried adjusting, and they were just always noisy and I still had water and debris blowing under them during storms. Now that is fun stuff to try and clean off with a topper in the way
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #42
Happy Camper

I usually spend about 5-10 minuets on the roof with a broom removing debris from the tops before closing my 3 slides. Fast & easy.

If your unit has a built on ladder, it is usually safe for at least 300 lbs walking on the roof.
Happy Camping
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #43

It all depends on where you camp but definitely have equipment available to clean it off when necessary. We've removed pine cones, twigs, sand, and snow; all that could damaged your rv. Its better to remove debris on the outside rather than bring it inside. We carry a telescoping ladder and a brush with a telescoping handle.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #44

I love being under the trees, but I have no slide topper, so it's up the Harbor Freight fold/extend multi ladder with the Ryobi leaf blower for me. There is usually a good bit of debris. The blower does not make enough noise for long enough to bother anyone, especially at the times I'm leaving camp.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

If we are camping somewhere with trees, DH will get on the roof (we have the factory ladder) and use the leaf blower for a quick clean. It only takes him a couple minutes and he is done. We do not do this during quiet hours and it is one of the last things he does before finishing up for departure. If we are somewhere like we are now that there are no trees then he doesn't bother. We wash the roof twice a year but blowing it off is very helpful in maintaining the roof. Wet leaves make a mess of a clean roof. Twigs, etc can mess up slide seals so we are extra careful about this stuff. We used to use a broom on the TT (flat roof and only one slide), DH had about enough of that and tried a blower after seeing someone else use it. Now we have a fiver with a sloped roof and 4 slides. The blower is very helpful. He has been known to use the blower on the patio mat too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #46
Canadian Member

If there is a lot of stuff fallen from the trees on the picnic table I’ll consider sweeping the roof and slide topper.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #47
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm a fan of slide toppers. Our first TT had a 12' slideout that didn't have a topper. We camped in wooded campground and had all kind of issues with leaves, dirt, grime and sap. Even has sticky tree residue get on the slide seals that caused the slide to stick to the side of the trailer when closed. I had to use a butter knife to loosen the seals.
Once we got a topper installed, never had the issue again and NEVER had to sweep the slideout roof either.

Ditto. I watch close while we're camped, but have never had an issue. As the slide toppers roll up...debris drops off.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #48

never sweep them......they are designed to "roll under" and all debris falls off as it rolls in.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #49
msnadine

Hi - I ordered slide toppers when I bought my 5th wheel, simply because I didn't want the issue of moisture and all other things getting rolled up inside the slides. I has paid off. I also have noticed that a few folks have a small leaf blower to take care of a myriad of things around the campsite - to include cleaning off the tops of the slides. Yes, I think investing in a tall ladder would help you if you go that route.
msnadine639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #50

Slide toppers. Like OkiMarine says, I push the button to pull in the slides. I do clean them, when I clean the rest of the RV.

Don't believe the crap about the toppers being terrible and a lot of work. A couple of very vocal people have problems with them and now the world will lend if you use them! they provide some shade to the slides, keep garbage and water from collecting on them, etc. They solve a lot more problems than they cause.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #51

We have 3 slides on the moho - two have toppers and the third is under the awning. Never had slide toppers before and won't ever be without them in future . Toppers, 3 Max Air vent covers and automatic levellers. Priceless

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #52

I bought a simple electric leaf blower with gutter cleaning attachment. Works great, no ladders needed. Also does great to clean site.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #53

I don't care to move a ladder from slide to slide to slide. I just go on the roof & blow the top of the slides off with a battery powered Ryobi blower. Every time. The whole process ( including climbing up & down is about 3 minutes.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #54

Seems to me that it would be quite difficult to condition the outside slide seals with the toppers installed?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #55

I blow off top of slide
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #56
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post
Question for my fellow FRF friends

When you've stayed at a campground and are closing up to head home or off to your next adventure - do you brush off or try to clean off the stops of your slides - the slide toppers and tops of your awnings before bringing your slides and awnings in?

This was not much of a concern on our last camper - only 1 superslide - only about 18" deep - AND it was close to the ground. Now the New Flagstaff has 3 slides and two awnings and it takes at least an 8' ladder to try and reach the tops.

Are we over thinking the cleaning thing?

And if IT IS something everyone does - please give us some tips of what you use to do the job.

THANKS SO MUCH!
Debbie
Hello... our flagstaff has a walk-on top, so I carry a cordless blower with me. I always blow off all 3 slide toppers and both awnings before bringing them in. I feel like small sticks and twigs could poke a hole in one them.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg0 View Post
I bought a simple electric leaf blower with gutter cleaning attachment. Works great, no ladders needed. Also does great to clean site.
This sounds like the best solution to me. Mind telling me the make and model and where you bought it?

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #58

It depends. If your under trees or there's been a wind storm find a way to look (ladder or step stool you carry, your walk up roof ladder, observing from a distance away).
I have felt compelled to clear small branches from the slide toppers. Not frequently but I've done it.
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #59

Our trailer has a slide topper as well as an awning & we ALWAYS clean them off before rolling everything in and up. We currently use a broom BUT...

I really like the idea of using a blower, especially a cordless one. May have to look into that.
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500
campkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #60

Our awning covers our 1 super slide, and weather permitting, I keep it out at least far enough to cover the slide. Even then, I still check the top of the slide before I retract it.
kenginn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, campground, cleaning, mpg, slide