Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

When to trade?

We bought a new 2016 Sandpiper. We have been in it now 10months give or take. We full-time and travel a lot, as my wife is a travel nurse, so new location every 13weeks. I talked to one guy that says he trades every 2 years so he is able to keep a new trailer and does not loose money this way on the trades. I see some relevance to this. It may be easier to sell a newer camper when we quit this lifestyle as opposed to one we've fulltimed in for say 5 years. So, any thoughts?
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

one could argue very easily that it would be smarter to buy a 2 year old camper every 2 years than a new one every 2years

the highest cost of ownership is usually the person who eats the initial depreciation. Which is usually the person who drives it off the lot
Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Team

What works for one person may not work for another. I can see where it could work out trading every other year if you have payments to start with. I was looking at trading my unit for a newer larger one but it meant having a payment which I don't have now. The value of my unit wasn't much to start with so it didn't end up being a good move for me. But then I'm on a tight fixed budget. Now if I had a payment I would had been in a better position to switch without needing to pay a lot out-of-pocket.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Money wise there is no good time to trade bottom line is you will probably loose.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

True, but playing with Nada values that are based off of MSRP leaves some room. For instance, Looking at The book value on a 15 , cause 2016 isn't published yet, it comes in at 15k more than I paid. I've never bought new before this one and honestly don't care to do it again. However We are thinking of getting a toy hauler in another year two. But will be looking used for sure.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
What works for one person may not work for another. I can see where it could work out trading every other year if you have payments to start with. I was looking at trading my unit for a newer larger one but it meant having a payment which I don't have now. The value of my unit wasn't much to start with so it didn't end up being a good move for me. But then I'm on a tight fixed budget. Now if I had a payment I would had been in a better position to switch without needing to pay a lot out-of-pocket.
True, and that's kinda where we are. We get a housing stipend and doing an rv is cheaper than motels/apts. But when we decide to quit traveling I want to be able to sell and not have a payment sitting in my yard.