Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #61

Glad I got my flu shot!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Back on June 28 & 29, 2018 on my way back to Yuma from a two month trip from Arizona to South Dakota and back, I stopped for two nights about 10 miles east of Holbrook, AZ along I-40

This was the place...
Seriously? That's considered a campground?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #63

We've been camping with a group of friends now for more than 40 years. Many of us have respiratory problems that prevent us from lighting wood fires in the fire pits that are provided at nearly all the sites we visit. Allergies are a bummer.

Nearly all of us now have propane fired portable fire rings that work just great. Clean fires with no smoke and lots of heat.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
We really like our propane firepit. No smoke and no flying sparks. As much as we like it our neighbors like it just as much.
I wished more were like you, If all firepit's were banned it would not bother me at all, nothing worse then someone bringing wet wood and smoking up the place and making your clothes and trailer stink from smoke
Old 01-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #65

We love to have a campfire with real wood. We do not mind paying the CG for firewood rather than hauling it with us.
I always put a "Y" on the water line and run a second hose to the fire ring. It is a good practice for fire prevention plus I completely douse the fire when we retire for the night. Everyone should have a fire hose set up before they start a campfire.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #66

We were at a campground in Pigeon Forge TN that our next door neighbors fire pit was five feet from our slide. Needless to say we won’t be going back to that campground. Most of the other fire pits were at the back of sites but not ours, the sites were really tight. My little granddaughter loves to roast marshmallows and hotdogs over a fire, to make everyone happy I’ll have to purchase a propane portable fire pit. Campfires don’t bother me as long as the campfires are not closer to my camper than there’s. We don’t camp in National Park campgrounds much. I understand that people like campfires and enjoy sitting around the campfire. The site we stayed at in Pigeon Forge was not supposed to have a large camper like ours in that spot. With a smaller camper there would not have been a problem. But anyway you live and learn. When making reservations I never ask if the campground I’m staying at for the night allows campfires.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #67
Tom

Count me down as one who loves to breathe fresh air not saturated with smoke.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Newbie issues: I’ve tent camped multiple times a year for the last decade and every campsite has had a fire pit. I get a TT, and make a reservation at a local RV campground and they don’t have a fire pit. What!?! Then they say I can bring my own...WHAT!?! I start looking around and notice that when you are not at a state or national park, you often don’t get a fire pit. What the heck is going on? Camping and fires go together like sunshine and summer.
We have stayed in multiple state park campgrounds in WV and OH. All gave had fire rings at each camp site. Nearly all gave bans on transporting firewood even across county lines during to tree pest infestations to protect forests as best they can. But sell firewood, we don't mind buying it there as it helps support the upkeep of the park.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #69

Beachbourbon, I am clearly with you on this one. We have camped a lot of places and all but a handful have been public campgrounds. To each his own, but a wood campfire is important to the whole camping experience for us. Only if there is a ban, it is pouring rain or it is 90 degrees out will we pass on a fire. This is a personal preference and I am not trying to push my style of camping on anyone and it is important to note how boring it would be if we all liked the same things. What we like is privacy and serenity that public campgrounds can provide as well as larger sites, often more scenic locations and very important, lower rates. Happy Camping in 2019 and beyond.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I’ve camped during fire bans and was told it does not apply to fire rings in designated campsites. The ranger was very clear this was o.k.! But suggested keeping the fire smaller than usual. We had a campfire during the fire ban many times because we don’t boondocks and stay in campgrounds with fire pits.
I suppose this depends on the jurisdiction. In CO, we have "stages." In the most basic stage, fires are allowed in fire rings in campgrounds, but prohibited in boondocking areas - even those with established fire pits contained with stone. Last summer we spent roughly 50% of the season in Stage II...no wood fires anywhere. And we had a brief period where propane fires were prohibited (gas grills and so on included) outside.

Fire bans vary from county-to-county, and sometimes vary within a county. I live in Park County (home of South Park - yes, THAT South Park), and the county is huge. Rules can change depending on which side of Kenosha Pass your in. And Jefferson County, right next door, ranges from mountain terrain to the plains of eastern CO.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Count me down as one who loves to breathe fresh air not saturated with smoke.
I have campfires because the smoke make your clothes stink and let alone the camper, Our old popup when we were camping the fire pits from next door camper hot embers floating in the air when he would toss in new wood or stir the fire burnt our side screens when we were out for the evening , people don't care where their smoke blows or sparks.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #72

If you are going to remove my remark about the previous post being snarky, please take bareftn's very sarcastic remark off as well. Like I can control which way the wind blows. Really!?!
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #73

The thread is "where are all the fire pits"

NOT

"I want to piss and moan and this looks like a great thread to spew my opinion".

Even though it has nothing to do with the OP's question.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
The thread is "where are all the fire pits"

NOT

"I want to piss and moan and this looks like a great thread to spew my opinion".

Even though it has nothing to do with the OP's question.
Agree
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
Old 01-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #75
Site Team

Enough already!!
(Sigh....)
Thread closed.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread