Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 AM   #21
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
You could use on of these like wahoonc
Saw this Male Box in West Virginia while on the job.
Just had to stop and take a photo, truth IS stranger than fiction.
You have to admire the sense of humor that that homeowner has.

Mines a tad purdier than that I also live well down a private road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
Nah,
That was this guy living at the bottom of the "holler".
Saw this about dawn and thought "what the heck is that?"
Looked up the ridge beside / behind the house (not a mobile home) and saw the height of the tower and how it had been extended and then the angle of the dishes. Ah ha! He built the the tower to "see" the satellite over the ridge top and had to extend it to avoid climbing the ridge and cutting down somebody's trees.
Talk about smart like a fox
Gotta do what ya gotta do. I have camped in a couple of places where that would have been your only choice for any television reception. I had a crew from WV one time and they were known for thinking outside of the box. Great guys, just had to keep an eye on them so they didn't get TOO creative.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #22

Where did my mail go?

Here is what we did this winter.
Went to my home post office. Filled out forms and they held my mail. Once a week they would put everything in a big mail envelope and send it to my Florida address.

So on Wednesday evening they would send it out. Without exception I got it every Friday.

This will only work if you have a fixed address where you stay all winter. This was not a cheap way to do this but it allows you to get all mail that is going to your local post office. (Junk mail and all)

I think it was something like $15 per week. We actually flew home for some unscheduled personal business in February. I walked into the post office and picked up my mail while at home.

This worked well for us. I'm sure there are much cheaper ways.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #23

Where did my mail go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
We have been 4 month Snowbirds since 2009. We use TEMPORARY FORWARD with the USPS. It is absolutely HORRIBLE!! Back home, every Saturday, mail is put in our box. Neighbor checks on it. We call the post master at home to report, but it still keeps happening. All the important bills are paid on the internet, the utilities are set up with our checking account. But there are still important things that we do want. The Perscriptions are with Express Scripts and we can change our address to the campground address, so that is no problem. I started a Thread on this a couple of days ago and someone said there is a mail service with Good Sam, but you pay for it. This will always be an ongoing problems

Thanks for the information, we are a member of good Sam, went to there website couldn't find anything related to the mail service. Still have a month or so to figure this out..🤓, just sold the home headed out for a year with DH🚐😱😬😊
Oops just googled and found the site..thanks u rock👍

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #24
FL/WI-RVers

Where did my mail go

We have been snow birds for 8 years and we have done a few different things, but all in all I don't remember any real problems. We have the advantage of having an address in both states. We use the USPS mail forwarding, that gives us up to 6 months of forwarding and the option to extend it a month or two, if we don't want to head back to the cold north.
If we decide to travel for a month or two in between we have our mail forwarded to a reliable relative (that is willing to accept our mail) and they sort out the junk. When we get to a place where we will stay for a while, we make arrangements with a local post office to accept a single delivery and have our relative forward a package of our mail (minus our junk mail) to the post office and we pick it up there.
We don't know if we are just lucky not having any troubles, the biggest thing is to set it up soon enough, before we leave.
FLRVWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #25

Where did my mail go?

Before I choose either Good Sam (more expensive) or with another mail service for us, since we will be gone approx 12 months is there a DOWN SIDE to using a mail service. I first thought to use a PO box in the town we will be relocating in June 2017 having a friend pick up the mail, but just thought it was to much to ask of her plus having a bit of trouble getting a box that is available.
Thanks for all the feed back
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #26

Rented a Post office box for four months and had mail delivered there . Had family check it ever couple of weeks and call us if any thing important.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #27

Check with Escapees. Best mail forwarding.holding service in the country. We set up with the years ago, We use them as our permenant address, they will send your mail to you where ever you want and when ever you wany, they will sort it and eliminate the junk mail and you can ask them to contact you if you are looking for something specific to come in,
Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #28

Hey Carl17, did you have to change your permanent Street address?
dkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #29

For our extended trips (three months or less) we temporarily forward our mail to our daughter. She gets a bunch of our mail about once a week and advises us by phone or text. We know approximately when bills are due which we pay electronically from our checking account. We can go to any CVS drug store to renew prescriptions if necessary but we try to secure a 90 day supply of each before we leave home. This works pretty well and next winter we may just forward our mail directly to our snowbird campground and see how well that works.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS🇺🇸
PA-0034-339
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #30

Good advice here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardelarson View Post
What ever you do DO NOT have your mail forwarded anywhere. It took us a year to get everything stopped. There is mail we never received and other mail still forwarded 6 months after we stopped it!
Good advice here! We used the temporary forwarding service, mail ran 3 weeks behind from Cincinnati to Orlando. Some mail we never received at all, especially a letter I was expecting from the VA.

Next year I will buy and prepay flat rate boxes and have a neighbor send our mail when there is enough mail to fill a flat rate box.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #31

From reading all this.........it seems that the folks that are fairly satisfied have some neighbor/friend/family member that they trust that takes care of a lot of it for them. That seems to be what makes them be ok with things.

Second, it seems they also are the ones that travel on one/two trip(s) for a long time, to a semi-permanent residence.

Third, they seem to have some kind of 'in' with the USPS that many of us don't have. My mailman can barely find me on a good day......our mail is up and down the street most times, as is the neighbors. It's a subdivision joke that we all share!

That's a generality, yes........

I have no such help. And I'm going on many short trips......a week here, 3 days there, 3 weeks then, home for a month, 2 days, home a week, trip for 9 days, home 3 months...........well, you get the picture.

I doubt I will ever be gone long enough that I need my mail sent to me. I have as many of my bills and income done automatically as I can. But there's always a new doctor to send a bill, or a refund check from someplace, or such. But I don't need that in real time. I just need it sometime in the next month. Maybe even two months.

And for that scenario, I can't find any solution other than changing my permanent mailing address to a Private Mail Box where they'll more or less have major leniency with how my mail is done. I have just started it, and I can't even guarantee THAT will really work. But I can't find any other solution...........the only people I trust to get my mail while I'm gone are also retired, and gone about as much as I am!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #32

mail

dkrap you have to get a change of of address at the us mail office only.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #33

Your Mail can be bundled and sent to you regurlarly for a Fee as others have said
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote