Old 09-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
Gold Tee Box

Where is the worst concrete roadway?

Give me asphalt please...

Just returned on a 2000 mile 14 day trip and drove on some of the roughest concrete interstate roads.

I39 north of Bloomington, IL was shake n bake n rock n roll n bounce...It is a good thing we have a stable WDH with no sway, or we'd been all over the road.

I was holding on hoping the TT wouldn't break loose from the hitch, and we were keeping it between 60-65 MPH.

With the rough ride, and the road noise, we couldn't hear the radio or speak to one another.

The John Kilpatrich Turnpike around Oklahoma City is another rough ride, like crossing waves in a boat.

It was so nice to get on a smooth quiet asphalt highway.

Perhaps Garmin can set a preference for asphalt only?

30 campgrounds/256 nights since 2015
Teetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #2

Re: Worst Roads

We've driven our '06 Forest River Lexington on many So. and No. California concrete roads and we were actually losing inside trim pieces from the horrible road conditions. We avoid So Ca. freeways like the I-5.......after a trip I do a post trip inspection to makle sure all the pieces are in place!!!

louiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #3

Yes I-5 in California is one, also I-95 in South Carolina, also I just went through Pennsylvania, those are also jaw jarring. They are really all over in any state, I think the whole US interstates highway system has seen its better days. When it rains they also don't drain well, now with asphalt they have what is called open grade, for rain water run off, much safer and on the most part smoother. Concrete is very old school for roadway construction.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post

I39 north of Bloomington, IL was shake n bake n rock n roll n bounce...It is a good thing we have a stable WDH with no sway, or we'd been all over the road.

I was holding on hoping the TT wouldn't break loose from the hitch, and we were keeping it between 60-65 MPH.
We just ran through I39 last Thursday. There were a couple of spots that weren't great but I didn't think it was that bad...I had the cruise set between 73-75 with no wdh or sway control.

Really bad was some of the approach's to bridge decks in Indiana on 70-74 and I swerved to miss a few pot holes that looked like they could have claimed a tire or two.

But I agree on give me asphalt.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Louisiana...eastbound I-20 in the Shreveport area. HORRIBLE!!!

Unfortunately nationwide our Interstate Highway system has been neglected as have a lot of secondary roads. But, honestly when pulling our fifth wheel we prefer to stay off the Interstates because of that, and traffic. Besides we get to see a whole lot more of America getting off the major highways.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017: 712 ~ Nights Camping 2018: 120
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

We are US State Highway travelers,see more, slower pace, and by far Smoother Roads! The "Roughest section of Concrete in the USA is the Campground entrance to the Amana Colonies"! This had to be part of a "abandoned Test Track for Suspension " there could Not be any other reason! Youroo! !
Old 09-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

Arkansas
Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

There is a several mile section of I-26 just east of Asheville, NC that is really bad! Fortunately it is probably less than 10 miles before you hit smoother asphalt!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

rj, just wait till you go westbound
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #10

I usually don't have a huge issue with concrete roads, but then we hit one of the interstates around Corning NY. Think it was I90 northbound coming into Corning (but could have been 86 as we were on both) - we were bucking something awful; it was a relief when we got onto asphalt. I find it interesting that we don't always get the severe bouncing - must have something to do with the joints and the spacing.

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote