Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Where to fill water tank. Complete Newb question

So I have a completely newbie question and I guess the only stupid question, is the one you don't ask. So......we are planning a trip to Michigan this summer. We are looking at staying and state parks when possible. My wife is finding that a lot of them or at least those in the area we want to stay, don't seem to indicate that they have water at the camp site. Is there usually a place to fill your tank at the camp ground or do we need to trailer it in from home or another camp site? Where do others find water to fill up their tanks?
Thanks

Nights camped in 2016: 26
Nights camped in 2017: ?
fireman1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A lot of state parks don't have water at the campsites, but they all "usually" have at least one or several fill stations throughout the park.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

Most S/P have water if they have a C/G,just not at Every Site! Just dont fill up around Flint,Mi. Also if you are going to stay for a period of time,might weigh the Per Day vs the year price$ for Mi.Park Pass! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Most S/P have water if they have a C/G,just not at Every Site! Just dont fill up around Flint,Mi. Also if you are going to stay for a period of time,might weigh the Per Day vs the year price$ for Mi.Park Pass! Youroo!!

Thanks for the advice on the park pass. My wife just mentioned something about the Mi. Park pass, but neither of us know what that is, so thats on my list of things to find out about today.

Nights camped in 2016: 26
Nights camped in 2017: ?
fireman1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #5

When checking in, ask where the water taps are so you don't have to hunt. Don't forget to fill-up before you set-up on your site (don't ask me how I know this).
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Some areas of state campgrounds will have a water spigot but not with a threaded hose fitting, just something to fill a container with. A "water thief" can be a handy tool for these instances. Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Some areas of state campgrounds will have a water spigot but not with a threaded hose fitting, just something to fill a container with. A "water thief" can be a handy tool for these instances. Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Agree but have a hose clamp also or another person to Hold the Thief at times! Youroo!!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

We stayed at a Michigan SP last August (Muskegon).

Once you go beyond about 4 days it is more economical to buy the annual pass rather than pay the daily rate. You can do that at the park office or on the website.

If a park has RV camping, its going to have a dump station. The fresh water fill is at the dump station (but separated from the dump area by at least 50 feet).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Agree but have a hose clamp also or another person to Hold the Thief at times! Youroo!!
That goes without saying, as most of the faucets are spring loaded, but then a small piece of rope can fix that!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Many State and federal campgrounds have a campground layout on their web sites, These usually show the location of water, restrooms, and dump stations. If not available call campground they can usually tell you the longest distance from a site to water in case you stay a while and need to refill. If the potable water source is at the dump station, DO NOT use any hose that may be attached.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Air Force Retiree

I have yet to find a State park in any state that does not have water available for filling your fresh water tank. A lot do not have threaded faucets so you should pick up one of these Camco Water Bandits to carry in you camper.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29764290wm...425512&veh=sem
Retired Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
Air Force Retiree

Camco Water Bandit at Walmart

Camco Water Bandit - Walmart.com
Retired Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
Just A Member

I have stayed in just about all the Michigan State Parks. Which ones are you looking to stay in ????

Here is the link to the reservation website. It will have the campground maps and all other info.

https://www.midnrreservations.com/

I like to use Google Earth to zoom in on the campgrounds and check out the sites.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

Friend filled up in Flint😳 he has extra thumb now 👍

Brim & Dee Cary
Arlington Texas
Flagstaff 8528IKWS
GMC 2500
DFW Texas
Brim1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Always Learning

I fill up at home and ride with a full tank.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #16

It is my understanding that the daily pass was eliminated a few years ago when the passport was initiated. The passport/annual for a resident is $11.
wboglejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
I have stayed in just about all the Michigan State Parks. Which ones are you looking to stay in ????

Here is the link to the reservation website. It will have the campground maps and all other info.

https://www.midnrreservations.com/

I like to use Google Earth to zoom in on the campgrounds and check out the sites.
The Google Earth trick is amazing! Not only can you check the sites, but you see what's surrounding the campground also!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #18

I've stayed in a number of parks, both state and national where filling an RV's water tank form the hydrant, even with a "water thief" is strongly discouraged, and in some cases, prohibited. The solution to this problem is a couple of 5 gal collapsible camping water jugs. Fill them at the hydrant and bring them back to the RV to fill the tank.

The last time I needed to do this, I connected a water hose to the bathroom sink using a hose adapter I bought at the hardware store. The other end of the hose went to the fresh water tank fill point. I changed the pump intake to the winterize position and stuffed the winterize intake hose into the water jug. Turn on the cold water at the faucet, turn on the pump, and watch the water drain from the jug and go into the fresh tank.

If you have an outside shower, you can do the same thing using that connection instead of the bathroom faucet.

The only caution about doing this is that when you normally de-winterize, you need to make sure you clear out any antifreeze from the hose that feeds the pump. I do this by flushing the antifreeze out with water using the winterizing hookup.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #19

Smile

The last 2 summers we traveled to Michigan and spent 2weeks each summer camping both the lower peninsula and UP. Non of the state parks have water or sewers on THD sites but do have fresh water, usually located near the dump station, and the dump station. After getting registered we stopped and filled the water tank before setting up. On our way out we stopped to empty the tanks and opened the low point valve to drain any water that was left. Didn't want to carry the weight of the water. We never had any problems getting water. Most MI state parks are very nice and furnished with elec, fire ring and picnic table. If you travel to the UP and staying at Tahquamenon Falls I highly suggest insect repellant. The Mosquitos were so bad we left a day early. About the pass. You can order a pass (called a passport). Online for $31.00 (last yr price). It will get you into all state parks for a year. I suggest you make reservations a sap because some of the parks are hard to get into. Especially the ones on Lk Michigan. I hope you have a good trip. Michigan is beautiful.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Since you are a Non-Res.the Daily Fee is 9$ or Annual Pass of 31$ easy to Fig the cost! Youroo!! Also our #1 pick is Hartwick Pines SP!

Tags
tank, water, water tank