Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I know in IN you will get fined by the DNR if you bring firewood into a state park that doesn't meet their criteria.

You can bring firewood into a state park, reservoir, state forest or state fish and wildlife area if
  • It is kiln-dried scrap lumber.
  • It is from your home or other location in Indiana and has the bark removed. (Ideally, ½ inch of sapwood beneath the bark will also be removed.)
  • It is purchased from a department store, grocery store, gas station, etc. and bears a USDA compliance stamp.
  • It is purchased from a local firewood vendor outside the property and has a state compliance stamp with it.
  • It is purchased from the property campstore or on-site firewood vendor and has a state compliance stamp.
Also, it's illegal to burn downed wood in IN and OH. It's a hefty fine.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNoise View Post
Look for firewood on some of the backroads near your campground.

I just spent the weekend at Spring Gulch, PA and an Amish house was selling a half pickup truck load for $25. I could name 2 private farms in Gettysburg, PA to get firewood. I don't like to haul all the extra weight from my house to the campsite.
Yes Master... Great pro pic ! One of our faves !
Once we may have had some in the truck when camping in KY, a ranger did see it, and told me to not unload it on to the ground. But if it went straight from trk to fire,we were ok.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I'm no expert, but I doubt the ash borer can survive being in a campfire. I've never tried hauling wood out of state, but I do burn the hell out of what I bring camping.
I assume you were joking; however I think it's worth clarifying for anybody reading this forum for advice.

While insects and disease will be distroyed by the heat of the fire, the risk lies in the insect or disease speading before the wood is burned. It could be the time you arrive at the campsite to the time you burn the last piece of wood is enough for an insect to wander off. It could also be as a result of splitting wood that pieces of bark fall off or the insect gets shaken out of it's burrow.

As much as I like paying as little as possible for anything, and that I also take some efforts to try to save money on firewood; the rules about transporting firewood exist for a reason. And to echo what others have said, please don't burn anything with staples or nails that could pose a hazzard for other campers.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #24

I am also somewhat confused by these rules.

I live in Southern Ontario and all of the camp fire wood that you buy in the provincial parks comes for the Province of Quebec, as indicated on the packaging.

Also I notice a number of tarps on the back of pickups are hiding firewood

Link. http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/emerald_ash.html

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #25

As mentioned, scrap lumber is a good source or if you don't want to buy the campground's stuff and aren't allowed to bring it in pick up a couple of those 12 hour pressed logs you can buy in the hardware stores.

While not the same as burning crackling wood, it will give you a nice fire.

Or, throw one of the pressed logs in the pit, buy a small bundle of campfire wood and occasionally throw a piece in to give the cracking and real wood smoke smell....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
Always Learning

Has anyone used Wood Bricks or have an opinion on them (note- I like the idea and really would prefer if your opinions could match MY opinions )?

US Recycled Wood Products - wood brick info

They have a "camp" wood version:
Camp Wood Brick

And, it appears that they're food safe:
Chicago Brick Oven uses them

Other than aesthetics and possibly price, I'm having a hard-time seeing the downside to them.

Thoughts? Opinions (preferably those that match mine )? Witty commentary?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #27

I have found the best practice to be to call the local forestry office where I will be camping to get the rules for that area. Even then that hasn’t produced consistent answers. I’ve had seasonal workers/interns ask me why I want to gather down and dead wood when I can just purchase it in the campground! Lets see…$50 - $100 a weekend is why. Checking websites for info also works but sometimes the information is not easily found and very clear. When I do get in contact with the right people they generally have been very helpful and thankful that I am pursuing the information. Last year a DNR worker stopped me from cutting up some wood to use in a State Forest campground. He believed that what I was doing was in violation of the rules. I knew I was ok. I contacted the forestry office chief for that area later and he told me that he would let his people know of the rules. That DNR worker was applying rules for a State Park to a State Forest. I know its a hassle and a pain but putting in some time and finding the right people can make dealing with these rules a lot easier.

I am coming to grips with all the firewood rules and they make me miss the old days when beetles sang and bugs were a menace to my skin rather than trees!

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Has anyone used Wood Bricks or have an opinion on them (note- I like the idea and really would prefer if your opinions could match MY opinions )?

US Recycled Wood Products - wood brick info

They have a "camp" wood version:
Camp Wood Brick

And, it appears that they're food safe:
Chicago Brick Oven uses them

Other than aesthetics and possibly price, I'm having a hard-time seeing the downside to them.

Thoughts? Opinions (preferably those that match mine )? Witty commentary?

I think those are a great idea! As much sawdust as I make in the shop I would like to make my own if I could! I do save my scraps and take them with me camping.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Explorer

Fire in a Can

I am a wood guy, even just got an 11ton splitter(I’m getting to old) and living the city is tough. I found a source that trims trees and removes down trees and when the wood is good and accessible he calls me.
But I am getting tired of hauling wood so I bought a Fire-in-a-Can and 50ft of hose. This is very quick and clean but it doesn’t pop/crackle, it doesn’t smell nice(doesn’t smell bad either) and it doesn’t radiate heat(note the pic, everyone has on a jacket). It does cook marshmallows fairly well, it has a nice flickering flame and it still gathers the family.
I carry a great buck-saw, a hatchet and an ax so if I can find wood, I’ll get it. Here in Cal. State parks do not want you to scavenge wood. I still carry wood on short trips; I love the full fire effect: smell, sound, heat, poking at it, even the work involved.
Another Idea
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireCan_web.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	28337  
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #30
Always Learning

That's part of my issue with these woodblocks- I've got a soft spot in my heart for wood fires.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
daydreaming about camping

I truly the miss the days when camping as kids we would unload and my sister would begin the process of foraging for firewood.

I usually haul in firewood with me. All mine was cut local and I am not in one of the MO counties that is quarantined.

I have thought about using craigslist when we go somewhere out of state. search the local CL for someone selling downed wood and pick it up once I am there.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #32

I believe that a lot of pallets are made from ash. It also seems that I read somewhere that they believe that is how the Emerald Ash Borer got here in the first place, from overseas, residing in pallets. The entire State of Ohio is now under quarantine, so I can freely move about the state with my bed full of......pine. My favorite campfire wood. Burns good, easy to start, I even have fires in a light rain when others give up.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
Always Learning

I've looked at sellers selling hardwoods - oak and whatnot. I wasn't sure if they were safe (i.e. is it ok if you don't have ash?).
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
Always Learning

I leave tomorrow for camping for the weekend. I found a Craigslist hookup just down be the road from the campground for real firewood. He said he'll sell me $20 or so of wood.

I've also bought a $9 bundle of these:

Name:	image-371992128.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	28355

I'm going to try and be scientific in my comparing and contrasting!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #35

Quote:
I leave tomorrow for camping for the weekend. I found a Craigslist hookup just down be the road from the campground for real firewood. He said he'll sell me $20 or so of wood.

I've also bought a $9 bundle of these:
Attachment 28355

I'm going to try and be scientific in my comparing and contrasting!

Looking forward to what you think about the bricks. That is interesting.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #36
MI Camperz

Personally, I appreciate the "Stop the spread of Green Emerald Ash Borer" campaign, but I think it's like trying to stop a swarm of Locusts. Coming through!!
Please don't hate me because I may not be technically or politically correct on that.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
MI Camperz

Quote:
I've looked at sellers selling hardwoods - oak and whatnot. I wasn't sure if they were safe (i.e. is it ok if you don't have ash?).
Ash borers attack Ash and that is all. They kill the trees.
Whole areas are defunct of Ash. But all the rest of the trees remain.

A great place to get FAQs:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/faq.cfm#q8.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #38

Our area is now infected with the Ash borer. They were found beside a truck stop. Most likely the Ash borer came off a truck while it was stopped. The problem is that a lot of the hard wood for sale in our area is ash. Some people do not burn all of their wood and take the remaining wood home. If you do have ash in the pile and the borer is present in your wood you have now infected another area. Our CG is only 2 miles from the infected area. The majority of the trees in the CG are Ash. If you want a "real" fire you can purchase fire logs that will burn 3 to 4 hours and some even have the snap of "real" wood. A box of 6 will cost about $15. We have a propane fire pit and people walking past think it is a real fire. the advantage with propane is that you can have a fire during a fire ban and you are not having to find firewood. The area we are in have a ban of importing and exporting fire wood. You would be surprised at the extent people will go to in order to hide their firewood. Nature is too fragile to have a person bring an invasive species into an area just because they want to have a "real" fire. If we do not change our ways then in a few years many of the places we like to camp at will be gone.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #39
Always Learning

I boxed up the wood bricks for the truck ride. Their product pages say they don't soak up moisture, but water destroys them (they're a little crumbly to move around).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2875990062.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	28360   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1846117406.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	28361  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #40

I could be tared and feathered and run out of town for this but there is something else you can do and still have a nice fire with no smoke and nothing to hide.
Little Red Portable Campfire - Camco RV 58031 - Campfire & Outdoor Fireplaces - Camping World
We have one and used it at last years rally in Goshen, we use it here in Casa Grande AZ and set out around the fire pit many hours after dark, some people cook s'mores on it and it does give off heat. When your done turn off the propane, it's clean and can be used where fire pits or open fire is prohibited.
The nice thing about it is no wood mess and you don't have to sneak wood into the park and worry about being fined.
Food for thought..

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote