Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #31
daydreaming about camping

I truly the miss the days when camping as kids we would unload and my sister would begin the process of foraging for firewood.

I usually haul in firewood with me. All mine was cut local and I am not in one of the MO counties that is quarantined.

I have thought about using craigslist when we go somewhere out of state. search the local CL for someone selling downed wood and pick it up once I am there.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #32

I believe that a lot of pallets are made from ash. It also seems that I read somewhere that they believe that is how the Emerald Ash Borer got here in the first place, from overseas, residing in pallets. The entire State of Ohio is now under quarantine, so I can freely move about the state with my bed full of......pine. My favorite campfire wood. Burns good, easy to start, I even have fires in a light rain when others give up.

Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #33
Fulltime family RVer

I've looked at sellers selling hardwoods - oak and whatnot. I wasn't sure if they were safe (i.e. is it ok if you don't have ash?).
Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #34
Fulltime family RVer

I leave tomorrow for camping for the weekend. I found a Craigslist hookup just down be the road from the campground for real firewood. He said he'll sell me $20 or so of wood.

I've also bought a $9 bundle of these:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-371992128.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	28355

I'm going to try and be scientific in my comparing and contrasting!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I leave tomorrow for camping for the weekend. I found a Craigslist hookup just down be the road from the campground for real firewood. He said he'll sell me $20 or so of wood.

I've also bought a $9 bundle of these:
Attachment 28355

I'm going to try and be scientific in my comparing and contrasting!

Looking forward to what you think about the bricks. That is interesting.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #36
MI Camperz

Personally, I appreciate the "Stop the spread of Green Emerald Ash Borer" campaign, but I think it's like trying to stop a swarm of Locusts. Coming through!!
Please don't hate me because I may not be technically or politically correct on that.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #37
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've looked at sellers selling hardwoods - oak and whatnot. I wasn't sure if they were safe (i.e. is it ok if you don't have ash?).
Ash borers attack Ash and that is all. They kill the trees.
Whole areas are defunct of Ash. But all the rest of the trees remain.

A great place to get FAQs:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/faq.cfm#q8.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #38

Our area is now infected with the Ash borer. They were found beside a truck stop. Most likely the Ash borer came off a truck while it was stopped. The problem is that a lot of the hard wood for sale in our area is ash. Some people do not burn all of their wood and take the remaining wood home. If you do have ash in the pile and the borer is present in your wood you have now infected another area. Our CG is only 2 miles from the infected area. The majority of the trees in the CG are Ash. If you want a "real" fire you can purchase fire logs that will burn 3 to 4 hours and some even have the snap of "real" wood. A box of 6 will cost about $15. We have a propane fire pit and people walking past think it is a real fire. the advantage with propane is that you can have a fire during a fire ban and you are not having to find firewood. The area we are in have a ban of importing and exporting fire wood. You would be surprised at the extent people will go to in order to hide their firewood. Nature is too fragile to have a person bring an invasive species into an area just because they want to have a "real" fire. If we do not change our ways then in a few years many of the places we like to camp at will be gone.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

I boxed up the wood bricks for the truck ride. Their product pages say they don't soak up moisture, but water destroys them (they're a little crumbly to move around).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2875990062.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	28360   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1846117406.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	28361  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #40

I could be tared and feathered and run out of town for this but there is something else you can do and still have a nice fire with no smoke and nothing to hide.
Little Red Portable Campfire - Camco RV 58031 - Campfire & Outdoor Fireplaces - Camping World
We have one and used it at last years rally in Goshen, we use it here in Casa Grande AZ and set out around the fire pit many hours after dark, some people cook s'mores on it and it does give off heat. When your done turn off the propane, it's clean and can be used where fire pits or open fire is prohibited.
The nice thing about it is no wood mess and you don't have to sneak wood into the park and worry about being fined.
Food for thought..

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote