Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #51
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I hate CG store wood. It is overpriced, usually crummy. If they want us to buy CG wood, then get some serious wood in large enough quantifies at a decent market price.
That was largely the impetus of this post- the campground store wood would end up being so expensive, it would be one of my largest expenses if I had a nightly fire.

But my guilt stops me from just buying a cord of wood for the house and taking some with me each trip. My focus a bit was on- "if I avoid ash, is that a problem then?"

I am very hopeful of these wood bricks. They would give me a nice option if I can't find decently priced wood near the campground.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #52

Even wood with ash bore's is no problem as long as you burn it completely. Bring it, burn it all or take the rest home and you will not spread anything. Can't bring anything into Indiana state parks though without it being verified to be bore free.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Even wood with ash bore's is no problem as long as you burn it completely. Bring it, burn it all or take the rest home and you will not spread anything. Can't bring anything into Indiana state parks though without it being verified to be bore free.
If you bring Ash from home that is infected with Ash bore you could infect an area from your home to the CG and back. If the CG has Ash trees on their property and you bring in infected wood the infestation could happen before you get to burn your wood. The moving of ash around the country is how most of the areas that are be infected happen.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
May I ask what happens with the wood from the time you pick it, transport it, and then get around to burning it? Is there an insect or two cannot get off along the way from the trailer to the fire?
Basically, is it worth it to take a chance to allow this bug to migrate further just to have campfire?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #55

I keep my wood in a sealed container in my pickup bed which has a fiberglass cover. Nothing will spread during transport. These critters are inside the wood. If you split the log at the campsite it would be possible to spread it, but I don't. It goes straight from sealed bin to the fire. You may disagree, but I have researched this and doing what I do will not spread this disease.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #56

Yes, I'll disagree but it how can I debate this with an expert!

How is this pest spread?
We know EAB adults can fly at least 1/2 mile from the tree where they emerge. Many infestations, however, were started when people moved infested ash nursery trees, logs, or firewood into uninfested areas. Shipments of ash nursery trees and ash logs with bark are now regulated, and transporting firewood outside of the quarantined areas is illegal, but transport of infested firewood remains a problem. PLEASE - do not move any ash firewood or logs outside of the quarantined area. -

See more at: Frequently Asked Questions | Emerald Ash Borer Information Network

Goodbye....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #57

Quote:
I keep my wood in a sealed container in my pickup bed which has a fiberglass cover. Nothing will spread during transport. These critters are inside the wood. If you split the log at the campsite it would be possible to spread it, but I don't. It goes straight from sealed bin to the fire. You may disagree, but I have researched this and doing what I do will not spread this disease.
So if one of the little pests does escape and infect the CG it's not your problem. If we all thought like this the world would no last very long. But your need of a fire does outweigh the chance of infesting an area.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #58
Steve Jackson

How did this bug get here to begin with? Are we sure this isn't just some scheme between firewood providers and campgrounds to generate more cash?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #59
Fulltime family RVer

Ok y'all. Lets take a breather from this topic and see how the wood bricks perform tomorrow night. Hopefully without torrential downpours like I endured tonight while setting up!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
So if one of the little pests does escape and infect the CG it's not your problem. If we all thought like this the world would no last very long. But your need of a fire does outweigh the chance of infesting an area.
X2