Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #21

If you are in Florida, you can run but you cannot hide. Storm path is too unpredictable right now.... Thursday should provide a better forecast.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #22

If Irma was forecast to hit my hometown with a really strong winds I would make sure DW was in another town away from the path and I would come back and ride it out. I don't live in a flood plain, even in our small town the looters would be out in force. Besides nobody really knows where Irma is going to hit. It may be coming right at you and all of a sudden it jogs to the right or left. If Irma does head our way I have three pecan trees that I have to drop, all three are leaning after Matthews came last year
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #23

Some of the suggestions here are to go NW to get out of the path. One of the strong possibilities is for Irma to come up into the Gulf. Mississippi and Louisiana are NW and these two areas catch a lot of major storms. Irma will be tracking north. If this was Texas, NW would be logical. The spaghetti models for this storm are all over the place.

One of the pictures after Harvey showed a MH on its side on the highway. The driver and passenger seat were showing above the dashboard. There was no roof and no windshield. It looked like a huge convertible with the top down. That's not a position I would want to be in with my family. There are very few major roads out of Florida and I have been in stop and go traffic for hours on I-75 on a good day.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #24

Most people I know here where I live in Central Fl are hunkering down. Lines are forming at gas stations people filling gas cans for generators emptying shelves of water and there really won't be any shortages, according to what I heard on the rasio this morning. I'm not to worries about flooding more about high winds. he RV can stay in the storage yard I'll let the insurance co. worry about it
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #25

I'm sitting in daughter's driveway in York, SC.....south of Charlotte. I am probably going to have to leave for a while (and hopefully come back later in week) but I can't decide right now which way to go. My fear is to leave too soon and not have satellite TV, etc., weather channel (though I do have Sirius XM radio) and not know what's going on.......an then with my luck, I'd leave a safe spot only to drive right into the path.

Some place is going to get hammered. I'm trying to figure out where to head.......I can't drive 800 miles a day, especially in a jammed evacuation scenario......and I need to plug in somewhere in a day or two to recharge batteries or lose food (not the worst thing, just a consideration)...........

I have 70 gallons of diesel in the truck.......and can be gone in a matter of a few hours.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #26

Did last bit of shopping to tie down my TT this morning @ Home Depot & was informed the critical supplies for big stores are heading to Miami first & then the Tampa & central FL stores will be restocked. Glad I bought water yesterday morning cause the shelves in Tampa were empty by last night. Hoping for the best ...stay safe everyone

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #27

Storm plan

I have lived beachside Daytona Beach for 48 years and only leave if it is a 4 or 5. I go up to stay with family who live halfway between Asheville and Charlotte, NC. Even during a 3 - the power is sometimes out for 10 days after the storm has passed, so there is not a lot of point in me going to any place more temporary. Before I retired, I worked in tech support and could work from my sister's house in NC, so I was lucky in that regard as well. The one time I left the fifth wheel because the storm escalated to a 4 at the last minute, winds already too high to pull, so I extra chocked all the wheels, lowered the landing gear as low as I dared, tightened the stabilizers, filled the fresh water tank, turned off propane and everything else and left it in the driveway pointing north south between two houses. The storm passed through as a 3, I lost half the shingles from the stick house, but not even a drop of water in the 5er. I still don't know why God is so good to me and I don't think I should ever try that again.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I live close to Wilmington NC and I'm staying put, I'll hook up my truck to the Cedar Creek and bring the slides in. In case the power goes out I'll crank up my Honda's and stay in camper. I have great insurance if anything bad should happen
Just south of you in Ocean Isle Beach. Looks like we will only get some of the aftermath this time. I'm staying too and my plans for mid-month may need to change.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #29

If you are me the storm will just follow you. So just go the opposite way from me and all is good[emoji23]

Seriously take care this is still days out and there is real way to say where it will go. I am in the Charlotte area and some long term tracks take it here. We may go west.

We have family in fl who have not been through a major storm. They are staying put.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #30

West Virginia is only 12 hours away from you, I'd go there. The mountains break up the wind and the res plenty of high ground.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #31

I've been thru 3 hurricanes in the Florida Keys, 2 in motorhomes. Although we had a home on Little Torch Key we didn't want our RV and home in the same place so we moved our RV to Big Pine Key. The first hurricane we had a Shasta class C motorhome,and drove it to the shelter. Inside the shelter ther was such pandermonium we moved to the RV and circled the building staying on the lee side, it was a low concrete biulding. The second hurricane we were in an Allegro 34' class A, We stayed in the Big Pine shopping center and kept it headed into the wind like a weather vane. The hurricanes were Category 1 or 2 . We only had short notice on these and felt we would get stuck on the overseas highway so took our chances on staying. I do not endorse staying if you have ample notice to leave Depending on the track its hard to escape one in Florida if the track runs up the state and you are in south Florida, its 300+ miles before you can turn west, if you can get there with the traffic.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #32

Atlanta motor speedway has opened its camping area. Maybe Telladega or other race tracks up north.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
West Virginia is only 12 hours away from you, I'd go there. The mountains break up the wind and the res plenty of high ground.
Stay out of the valleys. Those will fill up real fast in a soaker.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #34

We're in NW FL. and just returned from a great trip up near the Canadian boarder with our new TT. We have it parked at a friends next to a brick building. Going to see what happens tomorrow but plan to fill the FW, grey and black tanks with water. If it meanders our way I'll get the shutters up. I have been through many storms in FL. but Hugo took the prize for me in damage and expense when I lived near Charleston. Hurricanes are fickle and deadly. Go if you can, if you can't seek a shelter. Don't stay in a MH, or any towed conveyance.
Hurricanes pack a 3 way punch. Wind from 2 directions that spawn tornadoes and Storm surge. Lessons learned.
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer