Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
RV Vagabond Jerry

Where to hide a handgun

Where in a Class A home is the best place to hide a handgun so the police and border patrol won't find it?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Well that is an interesting question.. And a bit concerning. I carry in our trailer but not to hide it from the law or sneak it across a border...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

If you are planning to enter Canada with a hand gun I recommend that you leave it at home. If the custom officer finds the gun the charges are not worth the risk.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you're legally allowed to own a firearm, I wouldn't worry about hiding it, just make sure you are transporting it within law. As for border crossings, if it's illegal, don't do it! If caught you will lose that firearm, and your freedom for a while.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

If trying to get into Canada, with a prohibited or restricted handgun will not end well for you if caught.
Canadian border patrol is pretty darn good at finding things, just as good as USBP.

I won't even mention the southern border.

And it sounds like you should leave it home if worried about the police finding it.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If you're legally allowed to own a firearm, I wouldn't worry about hiding it, just make sure you are transporting it within law. As for border crossings, if it's illegal, don't do it! If caught you will lose that firearm, and your freedom for a while.
My guess what he wants to do is illegal... OR you are correct no reason to hide it.

For the legally carrying folks I mounted a safe the wardrobe to keep it secure from the wee one and have a safe in the truck for the un-safe "gun free zones."

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Question? Why would you want to hide a firearm from the police? They are on your side. As far as border patrol, if you try to sneak a weapon across a border, you are smuggling and deserve what you get.
I am a firearms instructor and never go anywhere unarmed, if not to protect myself or my family, then to protect those who can't or WON'T protect themselves or their families. Watch the news!
I have a concealed carry permit, as does my wife, my son, my daughter and my son-in-law. I haven't had to use a firearm since 1969 and hope I never have to again. The first thing I do at a traffic stop is to present my CCW to the LEO. It's just professional courtesy.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #8

I always stop on the US side and let a FFL dealer keep them for the 35.00 transfer fee. Pick them up when you get back to Danger Zone
Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Question? Why would you want to hide a firearm from the police? They are on your side.
I am the police and I will have to disagree with that... There is a federal law that lets me carry anywhere in the US and its territories... But certain places (NJ and NYC for a few) will arrest me for carrying.. Check the laws and make sure ARE GOOD. I am fine if I get a carry permit handed to me, I figure this is a sign that this is a GOOD GUY I have stopped. Others... Well there is others...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

C'mon, you really don't think you are going to come up with something the professionals have not seen before?
Went to Canada this summer. They ran my passport and probably due to my CCW asked us twice, forcefully, if we were transporting any weapons and then sent us to secondary and removed/searched every freaking last box, bag, container, compartment and crevice of our camper and tow vehicle. It was a d@^n good thing I left my weapon at home.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
C'mon, you really don't think you are going to come up with something the professionals have not seen before?
Went to Canada this summer. They ran my passport and probably due to my CCW asked us twice, forcefully, if we were transporting any weapons and then sent us to secondary and removed/searched every freaking last box, bag, container, compartment and crevice of our camper and tow vehicle. It was a d@^n good thing I left my weapon at home.
I do not think your CCW is attached to your passport. For us at least in PA a call needs to be placed to the state your CCW is in to confirm it. There is no nationwide database you are put in for us to look at. Your number probably just came up as the next victim for secondary inspection.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

I do believe Federal law covers transportation of a firearm from one "Location where you are legal" to another " location where you are legal" even if it is through a state where your permit is not excepted as long as you are just passing through. FLETC has classes on this.
There have been cases where this has been challenged and abused by local LEOs, but that is nothing new. That is what lawsuits are for. Personally, NJ and NY [Sullivan Act] are two states that will never see my smiling face after working with DEA in both states many years ago. They make up their laws as they go.
If I were to come across a LEO at a traffic stop gone bad, he WILL get my help. Three tours in Vietnam with the Infantry has taught me to help my friends and law enforcement.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I do believe Federal law covers transportation of a firearm from one "Location where you are legal" to another " location where you are legal" even if it is through a state where your permit is not excepted as long as you are just passing through. FLETC has classes on this.
There have been cases where this has been challenged and abused by local LEOs, but that is nothing new. That is what lawsuits are for. Personally, NJ and NY [Sullivan Act] are two states that will never see my smiling face after working with DEA in both states many years ago. They make up their laws as they go.
If I were to come across a LEO at a traffic stop gone bad, he WILL get my help. Three tours in Vietnam with the Infantry has taught me to help my friends and law enforcement.

You are correct... BUT!!!!
I think the weakness in the federal law for citizens to pass through the states is that you cannot ever STOP. I think that was how Chicago and NYC skirted the laws... You made the mistake of stopping in their country... So now they say the law does not apply anymore..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #14

Quick Facts
  • CBSA officers in Southern Ontario Region seized 117 firearms (non-restricted, restricted and prohibited) and 199 prohibited weapons in 2013.
  • All travellers are required to declare all goods they are bringing into Canada, including any firearms and weapons in their possession.
  • Failure to declare goods (including firearms) and other Customs Act contraventions may lead to prosecution in a court of law.
  • Travellers may not import prohibited weapons or prohibited devices into Canada. This includes items such as pepper spray, mace, brass knuckles, switchblades, stun guns, silencers and replica firearms.

If you do try to bring a weapon that is prohibited you could face up to 10 years in prison. The CBSA agents have been known to x-ray vehicles to find hidden compartments.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Closed due to OP asking for advice on how to perform a criminal act.
Closed Thread