Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #1

where to stay

We are full timers now and planning to go West in the Spring. I am having difficulty finding a suitable campground near both Glacier Park and Yellowstone. Since we have dogs that love to hiking with us we particularly prefer places within 1/2 hour drive of National Forest land. Also, I have a high preferenece for full hook-ups, and, if possible, pull thru availalbility. Does anyone out there have recommendations for the Glacier and Yellowstone vicinities for monthlong stays in each place? We are trying hard to avoid boondocking. We have a 35' TT.
Thanks for your help in advance.
uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Yellowstone Valley INN in Wapiti; which is on state rout 14, 16 and 20. This is about 15 miles from the east entrance into Yellowstone. They have full hook-ups and pull thru sites at reasonable prices. I have attached their web site link for you.
Yellowstone Valley Inn, Lodging & RV Park near Cody, Wyoming & Yellowstone Park, Yellowstone Cabins
Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillracer View Post
We are full timers now and planning to go West in the Spring. I am having difficulty finding a suitable campground near both Glacier Park and Yellowstone. Since we have dogs that love to hiking with us we particularly prefer places within 1/2 hour drive of National Forest land. Also, I have a high preferenece for full hook-ups, and, if possible, pull thru availalbility. Does anyone out there have recommendations for the Glacier and Yellowstone vicinities for monthlong stays in each place? We are trying hard to avoid boondocking. We have a 35' TT.
Thanks for your help in advance.
There used to be a KOA just outside the west entrance to Glacier National Park. Stayed there in the camp cabins 15 years ago.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Stayed at Yellowstone's Edge this summer. It is between Livingston and the park north entrance. Beautiful place on the Yellowstone River.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160713_183826.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	126851Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_212443.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	126852

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

There are quite a number of them near both parks. Both trailer life and internet should show them. With two dogs, be sure to be with them and under their control. There are animals out there who would consider them as dinner. They're beautiful and unique places that are very different. You'll love the trip.
Igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
Site Team

If you want hookups, for YNP, Grizzly in West Yellowstone gets the most recommendations.
For West Glacier, Mountain Meadows gets high marks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #7

I just read my post and goofed: it'll probably be better if your dogs are under your control rather than the way I stated it ��. I guess I'm so used to my pup running the house I forgot. Those two campgrounds mentioned are good in our experience too. You may want to get your reservations in fairly early..
Igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #8

We really liked West Yellowstone KOA.

Johnson's in St. Mary is basic, but has a beautiful view. http://johnsonsofstmary.squarespace.com/

West Glacier KOA is also very nice.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote