Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #1
Whine about Winegard Carryout Satellite

I just wanted to share my experience with Winegard and their carryout satellite for anyone thinking of purchasing one.

I purchased their original carryout in 2012 and have used it maybe 10 times. It has not worked correctly for the last couple of years, but when you use something as infrequently as I did this, I always figured "I" was the problem.

While camping and having issues with it this year, I decided I was going to get to the bottom of the problem. Long story short, the problem is with the actual satellite dish, not my set-up. Here's is where my annoyance with Winegard begins.

I called Winegard technical support. It took 3 attempts to hook up with a technician. On their message, they suggest you send an e-mail instead. I did that and am still waiting for a reply. After I finally got a tech, she suggested three points where I could check voltage. If everything was fine there, then I would have to send it in to Winegard (Iowa). There are no authorized repair dealers anywhere else in the country.

If I decided to send it to Iowa, paying postage there and back, there is a $70 charge to even look at an out-of-warranty item. Then I could start paying for the fix. I guess I can maybe get all of that, all that it annoys me. However, the tech implied in our conversation that if everything looked okay at the voltage-test points, I would maybe want to consider "upgrading" rather than bear the expense of the return and repair. So I guess I'm supposed to pay $650 for another lemon that only works 10 times when I've already paid $400-$500 for the first one.

After I tested it and found the voltage was fine, meaning I'd need to send it in for repair, I e-mailed the rep back to ask for a general ballpark estimate to determine whether it was worth it. She has not bothered to reply.

So, just a fair warning to someone thinking about buying a carryout satellite for Winegard, know that at least one customer had a terrible experience, both with the product and with the company's customer service. I know they are a big name in this business and perhaps my experience was isolated, but I for one, will not be buying their products in the future.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
thanks for the review we are looking into portable dishes. and i like to read all experiances not just the good ones especially when it comes to that much money

2011 Coachmen Cattalina 26bh SOLD
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 31SE
2014 Ford Expedition EL HD TOW PACKAGE
2015 Nights Camped 14
2016 Nights Camped 39 and counting

USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
raforan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
We have the g2 carry out for the last year or so. . We haven't had any trouble and have used it several times.
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
We have the winegard 2 and haven't had any issues.
Whitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins
I have tailgator.. It is good when it works sometimes it is a pain... I think the issue is they all have TINY little dishes in them... They can only work so well. THey are not a 2 foot across dish that you cannot fine tune so that makes it even harder to get a perfect lock unless you are in a tree-less field!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
Whine about Winegard Carryout Satellite

I have a carry odd ball Shaw Direct in Canada. This is a special unit. Will not work with anything else. In the clear I can get good signal. A branch anywhere near the path game over.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
When I have trouble with my carry-out satellite dish, the problem is most likely with the receiver. In the instructions provided with DISH Network, it states to connect the receiver to a FIXED antenna to download updates and programming if the receiver has not been in use for an extended period of time.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #8
Interesting on the Dish update information.

Thanks to everyone else who responded. We're waiting to hear from Winegard regarding a return for repair.

Let me say again--their customer service is very poor! I'm happy for those of you whose satellite works, because trust me, you don't want to have to wait on any kind of customer service from Winegard.

Again for those of you in the market, just buyer beware.

dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
Maybe you should cut your losses and craigslist it for sale at a discounted price with buyer fully understanding there's an issue. I'd consider a permanently mounted rooftop mounted real HD satellite dish.

2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

satellite, winegard