Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #21

Honestly, that last pic looks like normal rubber roof residue that shows up as the roof ages and oxidizes. My gutters are full of it between cleanings (9 years old in the SW sun). I know I'm past due for a cleaning/conditioning with Protectall when it starts leaving the residue and streaks down the sides by the gutters.
But why it would stick to any surface like glue, is a complete mystery to me.
I hope the company responds, as I am extremely interested in what they have to say.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Give the roof a thorough washing with Dawn or Spic and Span and give it a few days (hopefully it will rain) and see what things look like before proceeding to clean the sides.

I am NOT disputing anything you say... I'm just having a hard time justifying the all 4 sides thing.

I've never owned a 5th wheel where the water from the roof ran down over the rear wall and even less on the front cap unless I had the front/rear a foot (or more) low but not both?

I sure hope you figure it out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #23

Maybe the problem is over? Try running water on the roof and see what happens.
Frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #24

Long Shot.

Do you live near a large airport. If so, It is possible that a chemical reaction to a fuel dump has taken place. Sounds far fetched I know but, this happens more than you know. As far as what to use for cleanup, it might be just as bad as fuel. I would not want to suggest anything. That would be for you to test in a inconspicuous spot. Hope its not fuel. Good luck.
texasbozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbozo View Post
Do you live near a large airport. If so, It is possible that a chemical reaction to a fuel dump has taken place. Sounds far fetched I know but, this happens more than you know. As far as what to use for cleanup, it might be just as bad as fuel. I would not want to suggest anything. That would be for you to test in a inconspicuous spot. Hope its not fuel. Good luck.
Thank you texasbozo for the replay

I do live near an airport, about 15 miles as the crow flies. That being said the way that the landing strip is positioned and the route the planes take coming in they're are far off. That said if it was fuel dump I would think it would be on one side of the camper and not on all 4 sides.
Bholland85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #26

Fuel dump/ Over populated area?

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #27

Done for now

First off, thank you everyone for your thoughts, ideas, etc.
After checking and ruling out ideas/suggestions - paint over spray, fuel dump, airborne pollutants, etc - I have just chalked it up to "something went wrong when applying the product or the product is bad". I have reached out to Protect All (Thetford) and they have asked questions and I have sent pictures to be told the chemist is looking in to it, so we will see.

Maybe a dumb question or idea but is it possible the rubber membrane roof was not dry enough to soak up the treatment which caused the treatment to stay on the surface and not fully soak in/dry, which in return stayed on the surface and when it got wet broke down in to the small partials and the rest is history?

So what did I do? I spent 2 days (about 8hrs total) washing the roof, gutters, ac unit cover, TV antenna, vent caps, etc - over and over and over again with dawn dish soap.I did this until I could swipe my hand across the roof in 5 different locations without getting the partials on my hands. After this luckily a buddy came over to give me a hand, we washed all sides of the camper with small hand held sponges/brushes using 2 different soaps - Blue Original Dawn and Beast Wash. Local RV dealer was nice enough to give me a water bottle full of the beast Wash to try (they were sold out of the gallon jugs). We had a little system set up which we had 2 different buckets with the different soaps. We applied/scrubbed with the dawn first and then camper back and did the same with the Beast Wash. I will be honest, Dawn seemed to work a little better when using a little bit extra elbow grease. After cleaning the whole camper we went back and foam cannon cleaned it with Mothers Car Wash/Wax. At this point the roof seems to be good and the sides are cleaned, we have rain in the forecast tonight and most of the day tomorrow, so time will tell. Im going to take pictures today of the spots that were bad (now clean) and then check them once the rain has stopped. Fingers crossed we are good however I have a gut feeling when I de-winterize it and do a good clean after it sits all winter that im going to have to do this process again.

I will be searching for a new roof cleaner and treatment after this ordeal. Again, I have used this product a handful of times but after this situation I will be on the hunt for a new cleaner/treatment

Picture 1 - this is of the left slide. this slide was pushed in and the water coming off the roof sitting on top of the seal caused this build up

Picture 2 - this was taken while I was washing the camper to show the small white partials in the water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White Markings - Left Side Slide .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	220274   Click image for larger version

Name:	White Markings - Awning .jpg
Views:	68
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	220275  
Bholland85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags