Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

Angry Who are they after?

Didn't know where this might fit so here it is. Has anyone else seen the newly released ATT/DirecTV residential user agreement that goes into affect in January 2018? Read some of it and sounds like several things have changed. Just thought I would mention to see if anyone else thought it was directed at any particular crowd (RV folks). Just bought the dish and all and was using my home box etc on the road. Sounds like this outlaws that.........or has it always been that way.
??????????????
hollandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not man enough to read all that! Can you tell us to which section you're referring? Where did you find the "home box on the road" stuff?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Didn't see anything regarding home box on the road. Said that was what I had done as well as many others. Several told me that they do that and have had no issues. Well this agreement in 1N says that is prohibited as I read it. Did not know if that is the way it has always been or was it new. Sounds like you cannot take any equipment and move it to another location. Sounds like they want you to lease another set of equipment for your rv or boat etc and pay additional programming and equipment charges. For what it's worth.........
Old 12-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

They can want lots of things. If they tried to enforce it I would drop them and go to Dish regardless of how much I have tied up in equipment.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Kinda my thoughts exactly. Just thought I would share since it just came across my email. Funny how it runs concurrently with the growth of the rv lifestyle. They will eventually come up with some plan to address this new need but you can bet it will cost more. Have a great day.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

They have had that for years, but really do not enforce it. They want you to sign up for there RV plan. I have ignored it for years now. I just take my bedroom receiver with me, I don't get local channels unless I'm within 200 miles of my home, but the over air will bring them in most of the time.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
They have had that for years, but really do not enforce it. They want you to sign up for there RV plan. I have ignored it for years now. I just take my bedroom receiver with me, I don't get local channels unless I'm within 200 miles of my home, but the over air will bring them in most of the time.

X2
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Steelhorzz

I've had quite a few conversations with Direct TV when I upgraded my receivers.
I specically asked about their compatibility in my RV.
I was told no problem, (except my local channels would not work outside a few hundred miles).
No one ever mentioned issues of legality, or having to purchase an additional contract.
When they installed my new receivers I spoke to the installer again asking him about having to change antenna settings when I used the "boxes" on my RV.
He actually changed the dish arm on my house to match that of the RV. He said, "now you don't have to do that, the settings will be the same". Now that's Service!!!!
My last trip was 2 weeks ago.
Everything works.
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
I was told no problem, (except my local channels would not work outside a few hundred miles).
No one ever mentioned issues of legality, or having to purchase an additional contract.
When they installed my new receivers I spoke to the installer again asking him about having to change antenna settings when I used the "boxes" on my RV.
He actually changed the dish arm on my house to match that of the RV. He said, "now you don't have to do that, the settings will be the same". Now that's Service!!!!
Everything works.
Glad I can live without TV when camping. We play cards and board games.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
Everything works.
May I ask how far you were from home? Also did you get local channels at you site or local from home? Thanks

Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

Do not know about Direct tv receivers, dropped them five years ago due rising prices. On some Dish receivers, they have a coax in for ota channels. Helpful when camping, receiver will find ota channels and display the ones it found on TV guide display. Will display signal strength as well to assist in antenna pointing. Dish claims only to support local channels on the satellite at a range of 100 miles, which tends to be very close. Down fall for Dish as I remember getting better range with Direct.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Dish doesn't have that problem. If you travel outside your area with your home receiver you can call them or use the MyDISH app/website and change your location to get the local programming.

I have never tried it, but I inquired about it. YMMV
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
May I ask how far you were from home? Also did you get local channels at you site or local from home? Thanks
We live in So Cal.

If we go out for a few days, I usually don't take the boxes. We can always use the parks canle hookup.
I only take them on longer trips.

My last trip was up to Seattle, WA.
We were gone for 2 weeks.

The trip before was to Cleveland OH area.
We were gone for a month across the country.

We always get local stations where ever we are. (Not our local So Cal stations).

And we pickup national channels,

I.e. TMC.... Food Network.... SYFY.....

And whatever pay channels you are signed up for. We get Starz.
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #14

Dish has a number to call for assistance on rv setup 1-866-262-1240. Have used them twice at cg and was helpful both times. The last in changing receiver to use either of the two arcs, Eastern and Western (got more HD channels). Side note, we use bedroom receiver as well, having Dish reset you to have local have channels in cg, sets home DVR receiver as well. We have a couple of shows we record and watch when we return home. Generally are too busy to watch on the road.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #15

We had Directv when we lived in the condo, and when we went full time, by sending them a copy of our MH registration, signed up for the RV package, using the same two receivers we had in the house. That was fifteen years ago. With the package we get all the usual cabler type channels, and network feeds from both east coast and west coast. Could car less about local channels. We now have a monster 5th wheel, with a carry on portable dome antenna, mounted to the ladder (so I can move it if we get stuck behind trees , etc) Upgraded to a DVR several years ago, and have both the satellite dome LNB.s set up so we can watch one channel while recording another. Have heard too many horror stories about Dish customer service. Been with Directv since 1996, have never heard of any reason to switch
Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #16

We have the DirecTV app on our iPads, so don’t need anything more when traveling. DH can watch what he wants and I can watch what I want any time.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #17

DirecTV Local Channels when camping

When I contacted DirecTV about local channels when away from home, they told me all I had to do to receive locals when not at home was to call them and give them the ZipCode of my location and they would turn the local channels on.
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #18

Dorect TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
Glad I can live without TV when camping. We play cards and board games.
Glad that works for you. As for me, I have no friends to play with. Need TV.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
When I contacted DirecTV about local channels when away from home, they told me all I had to do to receive locals when not at home was to call them and give them the ZipCode of my location and they would turn the local channels on.
This is exactly what we did with DirecTV when we went to the Texas Hill Country... although our phone agent required the entire/exact address of our RV park. He told us to call back when we returned home and have them change our address back to our home. All was well.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Yes, they will do that, but only of your staying in one place, they want to charge you, like if your trying to do it every place you stay when traveling. They will do it once a month or so for free. We had a whole long thread on this a couple of months ago. Also Direct is not Constance on the policy, it depends who you talk to has been my experience dealing with them, that's why a lot of members went to no hassle Dish, but you pay for that extra.[emoji482]