Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #41

Interesting question. We really don't consider it "camping". We were both Scouts and know what that is. We simply use the MH as a mobile hotel. We can stay in FL for three months for the price of a I BR condo for one month.

We usually spend a month travelling in other parts of the country (including the FROG Rally in Goshen).

And DW really likes the ability to get to the bathroom at 60 MPH.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
And DW really likes the ability to get to the bathroom at 60 MPH.

Bill
Parents had a MH. I always loved the feeling of being "regular" while going down the road and all the sounds inside that tight space. The roar of the highway, hum of the MH, splash inside the toilet, growl of the water pump and finally stepping out with 30 miles more behind us! What a fun way to get from point A to B.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I try and not define it. My wife and I grew up outside, in tents, cabins, snowmobiling, ice fishing, you name it. We started 'camping' again as a family when our daughter was very young. We transitioned through, tents, popups, travel trailers and now the fifth wheel.

Technology has always been part of our experience, at least in the last 7 years, largely a job requirement. It is what it is. My job enables me to afford the toys, and the job requires I sometimes work when 'camping'. So be it. Our family is not technologically driven by any means. We are just as happy playing board games, hiking or at the beach as using technology.

For us, 'camping' or however you what to term it has been and always will be about family time. It is about us, bonding as a family. We are just as happy in a wooded campground setting with no hydro as we are with our trailer sitting in an amusement park setting (we LOVE roller coasters and often combine using our trailer with amusement park visits).

I've had this debate with many people and it can be a fun debate for sure. For those purists out there, I usually wave from my theatre seating while they are breaking down tents in the rain..
There you go again newfie... bragging about that theater seating You only like it because you can sit there and look at your house across lake Ontario thru the windows....
Nights Camped 2013 - 54 (54 scheduled)
Nights Camped 2014 38
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #44

I still try to tent camp once a year with my friends. It's always a good time and makes me appreciate my camper more. I don't mind camping in the cold inside a tent, it's the rain that always seems to ruin a good trip.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #45

After 40 plus years of tents, popups, TT and now 5vers we call ours the hotel on wheels.. Might be true the camp fire is the closest we get to "ruffing" it.. But we have both been there and done it.. This summer we did 9 days with no electric.. we survived and it was probably the most relaxing vacation I have had in years.. No phones, no tv, no computers... it was great.. I rarely watch tv or even listen to the radio camping.. If they are on, it is only to keep up with the weather so that we don't get blind sided by any severe storms...
Nights Camped 2013 - 54 (54 scheduled)
Nights Camped 2014 38
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #46

We don't really care what you call it. Getting away from the house for a few days is priceless. Where you go is not important either. We always have our "home" with us regardlss of where we are. We like to go to state and COE parks. We leave the TV on for the dogs and only watch late night when there is nothing else to do. We take the Sat dish, but not the computer. The TT has the radio in case of bad weather. We enjoy visiting with old friends and new ones alike. We have rarely met someone that we can't stand on an outing. Rest and relaxation is our goal.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #47
Oklahoma Proud

We call it camping, but really our camper was just our lake house. Dont have internet most places so laptops stay home.
-We dont use campfires just propane as we all have sensitive sinuses that wood smoke flares up. ( 4th of july was awful- all the tenters had fires going and was getting sucked into our 5ers a/c. We all had sinus issues for a couple weeks after that.)
-I WON'T tent camp period. The kids say they would like to try it (bet it would only last a couple hours till bugs or a noise would bring them in). I told them that they could stay in the yard ( we live in the country) or outside when we are doing my "camping". I fought enough of sand in my shorts, tents, shelter halfs, and sleeping bags as a kid and in the Army. I don't have to do it now, so I'm not!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #48

We always have our own (Bed,bath,kitchen),LIFES GOOD! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #49
NELA

All I have to do is roll back the years and remember when there was nothing but canvas between us and the snuffling and STENCH of that bear.

I'm so very thankful for those two week cross country camping trips Mom and Dad took us on, seeing almost every amazing sight our wonderful country has to offer, but....

NO MORE TENT CAMPING FOR ME!

While we might not be glamorous, our TT (Francis) certainly is!

And I've always been squeamish 'bout hotel rooms. Did they *really* wash those sheets? What about the comforter? BLECH!

I know who has slept in our bed...us and *only* us. I know who has used our bathroom....us and *only* us.

Just like many (not all) other things in our lives, camping has evolved, for the better.

Don't wanna call what we do camping? mmmmkay, I'll just smile, kick back in one of our recliners, smile like a well mannered Southern Belle and say;

Bless your heart.

Then take a lady like sip of my Gentleman Jack and coke. /snork

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #50

Yep, my boy scout son says we are not camping and we are in a PUP, not even close to one of those fancy rigs ya'all have:-D.
Though to be honest, it is a fancy PUP as it is a HW with all the bells and whistles:-).
When we went to Yellowstone from Maryland, it did not feel like we were camping, it was more of taking our beds with us. We never even set out chairs or had a campfire. We came back to the camper to sleep after sightseeing all day. But that was out of the ordinary for us. Normally we travel within a couple hours of the house, set up for at least two nights, put out the chairs, light a fire and enjoy nature and family, and that is camping; no matter the rig sitting in the site.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #51

Thats right Gals,it is a (Travel or Camping?) unit whatever You want it to be! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #52

Since we graduated to the HTT I irritate my DW by telling her we RV and no longer camp, but I enjoy it just the same, especially since I can have a small serving of Hagen Daas every night before bed. I have a friend who says it isn't camping but he hasn't been out in 5 years himself. I still enjoy backpacking so no one can really give me too much grief. I'm sure there are some who believe its not camping if you're in a tent.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #53

We live in our rig in an RV park. Sometimes when we hit the sack we ask

each other, "Are we camping?" Then we answer and say, "I love camping!" It is what it is...and we love it!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #54
MI Camperz

We are usually in our 34' TT with deck, firepit, shed and all the park amenities including beach, dock, golf course, and swimming pool all summer (seasonal). It doesn't feel as much like camping compared to when we tented it in the U.P. of Michigan four days and 11 nights in SC. So, I guess we do both, but I still call my RV a "camper" .
Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #55

Some people have a cottage by the lake some people have a cottage in the woods other people have a cottage on the beach. I consider my fiver a cottage on wheels Yes we do sit by a campfire in the evenings and enjoy outdoors activities but I don't know if I really call that camping but it works for me. Lately we find ourselves going to RV parks with paved roads, concrete pads, manicured lawns and full hook ups with cable TV and WiFi. I consider that to be RVing not really camping.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #56
Another rat in the race

By my standards we RV, I was raised pack up a bag get lost that's camping. But by my friends standards we not only camp but rough it.

Typical camping trip:

4 people: 2 adults 1 16yr old and 1 5yr old 2 dogs (sometimes)

we use a campsite with hookups when we can

there is a TV but no one turns it on. Its been on twice, once at the dealer once when my 5yr old was sick.

we do have smart phones and if there's signal we end up using them some, if no signal no big deal. Went to Yosemitte spent 13 days there never turned on anything but a MP3 player for the drive.

Little known secret I try to pick spots without signal don't tell the kids

we cook outside on a BBQ or fire for every meal weather permitting

We eat outside except when too buggy

It's not camping unless we have toasted marshmallows

the kids use sleeping bags in their bunks

and we try to see something outdoors and different every time we go.

we take our bikes to get around

we stay outside as much as possible.

So do we camp or RV?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #57

I always say we are "Campering"

People 'get it' and its usually good for a laugh.

~Mike

Mikeschultz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #58
Trefty

"Glamping" the wife's new camper which is a 36qbok is definitely glamorous camping. However the way I look at it, when I walk out the door I'm doing the same thing as the folks in tents....
Bvague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #59
Camper Less Camping

When we stay @ State Parks...we're camping mostly...everywhere else we stay, we're Glamping...our 5'ver is the C.O.W. (condo on wheels) and that's how we love using it!

Geaux Kamping Now!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #60
Professional Curmudgeon

I call the TT "camper" to differentiate it from the "motorhome". But since we are getting rid of the MH, that is not longer a concern.
We don't call it camping; we call it "going to the beach" or "going to the woods" or "going to see <insert destination here>". It's just understood we are taking our base of operations with us.
Labor day weekend, we drove our car to Myrtle Beach to give away our old TT. We stayed in a hotel near the beach. To go to the beach we had to load everything we'd need for the day into the car, find public beach access, and carry chairs and umbrella with us. Returning resulted in loads of sand in our black carpet. There was no inviting awning with chairs and cold drinks waiting for us there.
That's when we decided we needed another TT - fast!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote