Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Always Learning

Who else doesn't "camp"?

I read a lot of conversations on here, on FB and other forums where people will ask a question about TV, DVD players, game systems, WiFi, cell phones or some other decidedly non-camping type of activity and inevitably you get the response of, "I go camping to get away from that stuff."

We consider ourselves RV'ers and travelers. We often will either be out sight-seeing & enjoying the area that we're in or hanging out inside the camper. Most of our meals are around the dinette table.

The only association to "camping" that have is the fact that we're in an "campground" (and even that- usually in an RV park). Most of our outside activities revolve around the campground amenities- pool, mini golf, etc. Depending on who is with us or around, we may do "camping" types of activities - being outside, eating outside, having a fire, cooking on a fire, etc. But it's definitely not our norm.

Anyway... out of curiosity, I know we're the minority, but are there others out there like us who go places in their RV but don't necessarily "camp"?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

I think that "camping" is in the eye of the beholder. I used to think that staying in a camper was not camping. I am sure therer are those out there that say anyone who is plugged into 110 in not camping. We bought our RV to "camp" as we call it but also to go other places and drag our hotel room with us. We don't do alot inside but we do eat our meals in there.

I think camping is getting away from whatever you want to get away from. I like to sit by the fire and play with my cell phone (see who is on this website). I like watching the news in the morning with my coffee. I like eating inside where its climate controlled and fly-less (I don't hear anyone saying they go camping to get away from the AC)

My $.02
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

I consider myself more a traveler then a camper.

Except for the fire part, I love lighting a fire every night that I am not in a hurry and cooking over the wood fire at least one night too.

I may have a little Pyro in me tho.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

When I was younger I used to "camp". We would actually hike in, tent camp and hike back out. That was 20+ years go. Now that I am married and have kids its a little different. We had a PUP and now the current TT in my sig. Today it depends on what we are planning on. We still do go "camping" to get away from it all for a couple trips a year. Cell phones are off, laptops are home, TV is mainly just used to distract a little one while trying to get something done otherwise its off as well. Its nice to just get away to do nothing and detox from day to day work, life, etc. On those trips we will take the kids hiking, to the beach, etc.

Now if we are taking a destination vacation and just happen to be in our TT that is a different story! We go to Disney and I dont consider that camping. We may only take the kids to the parks one or two days but the rest of the time we are at the pool, Downtown Disney or somewhere else doing something. We are on a regular trip and just happen to be in our camper vs. a hotel room.

I have to say I like both style trips equally.
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
I consider myself more a traveler then a camper.

Except for the fire part, I love lighting a fire every night that I am not in a hurry and cooking over the wood fire at least one night too.

I may have a little Pyro in me tho.
I think the fire is the best part of camping. I don't care how hot it is, come nightfall I am starting a fire. I can't believe that there are actually "camp"grounds where it is not allowed. I used to cook over the fire too but I have gotten lazy in my old age
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #6

My days of lying on the ground in a knapsack or pup are long over. We're RV Gypsies and prefer hauling our caravan behind us and enjoying being comfortable. When we want to get down and dirty, we'll spend hours outdoors, around a fire ring or whatever knowing that A/C and a hot shower are only steps away.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

I try and not define it. My wife and I grew up outside, in tents, cabins, snowmobiling, ice fishing, you name it. We started 'camping' again as a family when our daughter was very young. We transitioned through, tents, popups, travel trailers and now the fifth wheel.

Technology has always been part of our experience, at least in the last 7 years, largely a job requirement. It is what it is. My job enables me to afford the toys, and the job requires I sometimes work when 'camping'. So be it. Our family is not technologically driven by any means. We are just as happy playing board games, hiking or at the beach as using technology.

For us, 'camping' or however you what to term it has been and always will be about family time. It is about us, bonding as a family. We are just as happy in a wooded campground setting with no hydro as we are with our trailer sitting in an amusement park setting (we LOVE roller coasters and often combine using our trailer with amusement park visits).

I've had this debate with many people and it can be a fun debate for sure. For those purists out there, I usually wave from my theatre seating while they are breaking down tents in the rain..

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #8

I consider it "camping" if we are not home, or in a hotel room. We just recently got our trailer, but I have done tent and popups before. Most times we will be at RV parks/campgrounds and the odd time dry camping at a music jamboree. Yes we will have T.V. and such with us as well.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Thats camping

Camping.. okay ideally for us it when I dont have to do the normal every day stuff around the house.. Like a vacation or just not seeing house for weekend.
Unfortunately this year has been hard to take long trips far from home.
So camping for us is like this... Take today for instance. I will get off work and drag Big Bertha to the local cg about 8 miles away from home. Have to get the best site. Then set up camp and go back home to mow the yard have dinner with the woman who has to work tomorrow(I dont work on fri.)
I mite even spend the night in the Big Bertha.
Wake Friday morn have coffee with some of the old timers at the park then go shopping for the weekend supplies for camping Like Beer and food did I say beer??
Stop at home for why i dont know, be back at camp by dinner time friday if not sooner. Maybe have something on the grill when the woman get there. Have a fire play some bags bs with the fellow campers.
Then go to bed and maybe getsome
Get up saturday morn early and go to work for a few hours then home and shower...Then back to camp hoping the woman wants to stay at camp ...but she want to go garage sale shopping or something like that, shoping of some kind thats for sure.
Back to camp hang with our fellow camping friends have a fire play games or maybe just watch a movie on the 42"tv and relax in the theater seating.
Then go to bed and hope to get some more
Wake up on sunday and drag our butts about going home. And do it all over next weekend!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

OK, I will be the tool that refers to the Websters:

Definition of CAMP 1
a : a place usually away from urban areas where tents or simple buildings (as cabins) are erected for shelter or for temporary residence (as for laborers, prisoners, or vacationers) <migrant labor camp>

I am pulling a camper to the campground, to sit by the campfire with my happy campers... but yeah, I am RV'ing really.

That said, the Philadelphia Eagles have camp in Philadelphia. I wonder how they get the campfire ring burns off the turf before the season begins.

-
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
That said, the Philadelphia Eagles have camp in Philadelphia. I wonder how they get the campfire ring burns off the turf before the season begins.
-
Not that it would matter if they didn't.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

I do believe that the correct word here to describe it is..............

GLAMPING !!!!!!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Site Team

Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
-

Is anyone gonna be watching in philly??? Guess will never know

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #14

Camping or RV'ing

We, like most people started out in a tent, sleeping on the ground. Now that we have moved up to a TT, I consider what we are doing is Camping/RV'ing. We do not bring a television on most occasions, and if we do it usually is when we are there for longer that a weekend. Use it to watch a dvd if we get a rainy day. Apart from sleep, we spend about 95% of our time outside of the trailer. All our food is cooked outside also either on our Weber or over an open fire. Have an oven in the TT but have never used it. No i-pad or cell phones unless we have to call out. We use our trip as rest and relaxation time. Reading, hiking, biking, etc.

Bill and Diane
Cobalt, Ont
2012 Grey Wolf 18RB
2011 Dodge Ram
Equalizer Hitch
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #15

I dont camp. I never did while I was in the military either (ARMY fixed wing aviation) and I dont want to now. we travel to see places, and I carry 3 flat screen TV`s and a xbox also A/C is nice in the hot summer nights. when I was a kid we went every weekend and sleep on the hard ground. I am a adult and made my mind up of no more hard beds we always have a fire and roast stuff. kids and the wife like my camping just fine thank you....lol

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...I know we're the minority, but are there others out there like us who go places in their RV but don't necessarily "camp"?
Your minority is mightily populated.
When we got our used 1995 Sunline, we discovered what a "travel"trailer is. Now we have our Rockwood and have used it mainly as our motel on wheels, setting up a base camp in an RV or state park and taking day trips. We kept our pop up for "camping" as in boondocking.
Now DW has become used to having her own bathroom and shower. Port-a-Johns and shared facilities have become, shall I say, "unattractive." So she suggested we put dual batteries on Rocky, up the propane to dual 30s and get a Yamaha generator so we can camp w/o hook ups. All that being accomplished, Rocky is ready to travel and camp.
We still use the pop up for remote places Rocky won't physically fit into.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #17

If having taking an ice cream cake for my birthday with us in the camper isn't camping why did they install a freezer in my camper?

maybe they are mistaken and that they are referring to "tenting" not "camping"....

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #18

"Camped" last weekend. 98% of the time in the TT napping, watching Netflix or DVDs, playing video games, board games, sippin frosty adult beverages, just good quality time. It's the 'getting away' that's so great. No feeling guilty about not getting to the honey do lists around the house.

No 'real' camping for us. I wouldn't mind it so much, but the wife would have none of it. She tried it once to appease me, never again.

Georgetown, TX
rbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Your minority is mightily populated.

Teach
Interesting. I'm not shy when saying that I don't "camp" - I'm happy with what we do.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
If having taking an ice cream cake for my birthday with us in the camper isn't camping why did they install a freezer in my camper?

maybe they are mistaken and that they are referring to "tenting" not "camping"....

The freezer is for the warm beer. Learn something new everyday on this forum

Zelda the campin dog