Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #11

I've read some of those "horror stories" on this forum and others. Of course these seem to be the majority of the ones folks post. I doubt its a good sample of actual dealings.
Like everyone else my concern would be service. If your estimating $500/trip, then a few times back for warrany work and you'd eat up the savings.
Also be prepared to stay close by RVW(if this is your choice to purchase from) for a few days to make sure the bugs are worked out.
Most common issue I've read about is folks not getting what they ordered. Kind of a "bait-n-switch" deal.

Best-o-luck.

Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #12

Good afternoon Carsonizik3. We have just recently ordered our fourth travel trailer from RV Wholesalers and would recommend them. We've not had any problems dealing with them, saved thousand of dollars on each travel trailer we've purchased from them, and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems with the travel trailers we've purchased. The salesman we're currently working with has been excellent. As someone else mentioned, they do have a "network" of service providers nationwide in case something does go wrong with your unit. If you have specific questions about our recent purchase, please PM me.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #13

I have a TT on order from RVW and so far the assistance and response to questions has been great. I looked locally as well, but like you the extra $3,000 to $3,500 for the same TT wasn't worth it to me. I will be making a similar length trip to pick it up so our situation is nearly identical (except you're buying a much bigger trailer).

My thoughts are if I need service in the 2 years the full warranty is good for, then so be it I'll deal with the local service place affiliated with RVW. If they are shotty or delay my service then guess what...they won't get my business once the warranty is up. My money is good all over the US and some foreign countries too . Also I would assume RVW appreciates word of mouth business and has some agreements with Service Network they have set up. If the service is bad I will happily call RVW to complain if that's the case.

In this ecomony I wish everyone the best luck in finding the best deal they can. Retail prices are a thing of the past, this is a savvy consumer world thanx to the internet. I understand local dealers need to make a buck, but why would they pass up guaranteed money from servicing somebody else's products. A paycheck is a paycheck right.

My solution would be that if service shop keeps my trailer longer than expected or does a crap job I'll be happy to come grab it off the lot and then proceed to pass on the bad experience to everyone in the area. So for Dealers to act that way seems like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot for merely getting paid to complete a service they are charging for anyways. Plus there are always independent service and repair places like Camping World.

Just my $0.02
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
BC: Ram OEM
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #14

Bait and switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodog View Post
I've read some of those "horror stories" on this forum and others. Of course these seem to be the majority of the ones folks post. I doubt its a good sample of actual dealings.
Like everyone else my concern would be service. If your estimating $500/trip, then a few times back for warrany work and you'd eat up the savings.
Also be prepared to stay close by RVW(if this is your choice to purchase from) for a few days to make sure the bugs are worked out.
Most common issue I've read about is folks not getting what they ordered. Kind of a "bait-n-switch" deal.

Best-o-luck.
I have made it clear to RV Wholesalers every color and every option we want. They "guarantee" it to be what we ordered or we don't have to buy it. I told them I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't exactly what we ordered. They said they wouldn't expect anything different. So I think that won't be an issue. At least i hope not.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
camping

$2365.38 plus all the interest over the years. we bought local because the dealer here gave us a great price. I asked him (he is the owner) if his service department would work on units from the wholesales and he said "yes- money is money and who knows maybe a future customer" - I laugh at that now because his service department was terrible. I asked that question because of all the posts about the dealers who tell potential customers they won't work on units purchased at other dealers. I found out a few months ago he "replaced" several of his employees.

if it were me I would go and get the best price I could - if there are small warranty items you might be able (depending on your ability) to take care of them yourself - (have had FR mail me parts.) if major issues than it might be better to take it into the factory- a long drive but they will do a better repair.
just my 2 cents

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #16

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodog View Post

Best-o-luck.
Can't see why an "ordered" trailer would not have what was ordered. Granted something may have been missed during the build, but I would be sure to check and double check the order and spec/build sheet prior to taking delivery. And any discrepancies get a "we owe" in writing or don't accept the trailer. I plan to have my salesguy email me pics, copies of paperwork, etc before I even think about driving out there.

In my experience, with any purchase and it's always better to be a little suspicious and over-inspect everything before you leave the store
Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #17

Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
Can't see why an "ordered" trailer would not have what was ordered. Granted something may have been missed during the build, but I would be sure to check and double check the order and spec/build sheet prior to taking delivery. And any discrepancies get a "we owe" in writing or don't accept the trailer. I plan to have my salesguy email me pics, copies of paperwork, etc before I even think about driving out there.

In my experience, with any purchase and it's always better to be a little suspicious and over-inspect everything before you leave the store
It will be what we want or it will stay there. Bottom line. Trailer has every option except slide awnings. Color is Kahlua with couch and Dinette. (thats what the wife wanted). So it should be easy to find something if its not on there.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
Enjoying Member

When we bought our Wildwood we checked all the dealers both locally and out of the area. Locally no one was even close to some that were out of state. We live in west central Florida and it was going to be a major hike to pick up the ones that were extremely less cost. We spoke with RVW and almost bought from them. We were treated extremely well from everyone at RVW but we got a slightly better deal from a small dealer in TN. Tn would be a good bit closer and the expenses to pick up the rig were a lot less. So we purchased the identicle rig in TN as the one at RVW. We saved $4500 and our expenses were around $500.

When thinking about the service issue we looked at it this way. I have quite a bit of experience in the vehicle industry and the manufacturers frown heavily upon their dealers not providing speedy professional service to the clients of theirs. If they find a particular dealer that doesn't service vehicles in a professional and speedy manner based on where it was actually purchased or any other reason they have the right not to offer incentives to that dealer or even forbid them from selling that brand.

This brings me to the fact that after some months of owning our FR product we ran into warranty issues and took the rig to a local dealer. This dealer is one of the largest in the south east. They were timely at first and we ran into some workmanship issues and then an issue waiting on parts. The dealer was always forthcoming and helpful and the warranty issues were all taken care of. We did need to get in touch with FR warranty personnel to compensate us for lost use of the rig for 2 months but all was taken care of. From our experience I am sure if you ran into any issue with a local dealer all you need to do is firmly explain it to FR and it will be handled. We were offered to move our rig to another dealer or even have it shipped back to FR if we didn't want to continue dealing with the local dealer after the workmanship issues from the first repairs. We were also assured it would be handled to our satisfaction no matter what our choice was. It was all handled to our satisfaction with us paying attention to it step by step.

In conclusion I would say save the money while you have the opportunity and if you need service just take it to your local authorized FR dealer and keep in touch with any and all repairs. The service guys are not going to spend any extra time looking up what salesman sold the unit or where it was purchased. They may ask but my response would be "what does that matter". It's an expensive purchase so stay in touch with your service people and if something doesn't seem right just call FR. We have nothing but great things to say about the people we dealt with at FR and they worked closely with the local dealer who does make money off of warranty work and got the work done properly.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonizik3 View Post
It will be what we want or it will stay there. Bottom line. Trailer has every option except slide awnings. Color is Kahlua with couch and Dinette. (thats what the wife wanted). So it should be easy to find something if its not on there.
Agreed on that plan...unless they knock another $1000 off for their mistake

Trailer sounds nice, best of luck on the pick up. Maybe I'll see you there
Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #20

Awning

You may want to think about getting the slideout awning. They are nice to have

papap is offline   Reply With Quote