Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anthony View Post
As far as staying close to where you bought the r v for a few days, it wasn't until our fourth trip, about 9 months after we bought the trailer that major problems showed up. Wayne

Wayne,
Sorry to hear you had "major problems"...could you elaborate? I'm wondering what can happen and what to prepare for. Did you buy from RVWholesalers? Were the issues taken care of to your satisfaction?

WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
BC: Ram OEM
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonizik3 View Post
Did you buy a unit that was on the lot or did you order one? It will take 5-6 weeks for us to get ours because it will be ordered to our specs. My deal is I give a deposit, we get all options,colors,packages,add ons, etc, down on paper, we order it.(we have already discussed this) When it arrives we go up and go through the unit with a fine tooth comb and only when we are satisfied is when we go in and do the financing and paperwork which will have no hidden fees and no "extra" hidden charges. The price of $35,800 is the total price out the door period. I have already discussed if one dollar is added or its not what we ordered we walk. They have agreed so we'll se what happens.

It was on thier lot.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #33

Here is the new news

Ok I just keep digging on this 365 and now I have talked to another dealer who says he can beat anybodys deal. So I give it a whirl. After discussing price and the deal that RVW is offering I got the same pitch. "They can't buy that camper for that price. I don't know how they can price you that camper that cheap!" I explained that I had been working with RVW for awhile and they had answered all my questions and they gauranteed the camper would be exactly what I ordered with no hidden fees etc. Then he came up with I had better watch RVW because they had worked on some of the campers thet had sold and they had "added" some of the options on the camper at the dealership and these "add ons" were not from the factory. Things like a/c units or "refurbished" fridges and water heaters?
Also since they were in Ohio they could do this legally. Also if I paid the deposit and got there and the camper wasn't what I wanted they could keep my deposit.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #34

Well if you signed a contract that says this is what was ordered from the factory and it ends up that's not what you get then you can take legal action. I can't see them changing stuff that was part of an ordered unit for other items, unless you wanted additional items after the order was placed.

When I started my TT search I was originally going to purchase an in-stock unit and add some options to it. They said they could add many options right at their shop, which makes sense since alot of options are available as aftermarket products. Of course replacing parts with re-furbished or lesser quality parts is not good or moral business practice and in my estimation that would illicit a serious barrage of negative consequences.

Now I can't speak from experience, but I would assume that like a car the trailer will have a window sticker (or build sheet). This should show all options that were ordered and installed at the factory. So if this a correct assumption and my ordered 19 build sheet has something missing, but the Roo has the option installed that doesn't appear factory then I would certainly call them out regarding their practices.

Does anyone have a legal reference as to what can be done in Ohio in regards to the statements above about "refurbs" that is different from the rest of the country?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #35

dealer add ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
Well if you signed a contract that says this is what was ordered from the factory and it ends up that's not what you get then you can take legal action. I can't see them changing stuff that was part of an ordered unit for other items, unless you wanted additional items after the order was placed.

When I started my TT search I was originally going to purchase an in-stock unit and add some options to it. They said they could add many options right at their shop, which makes sense since alot of options are available as aftermarket products. Of course replacing parts with re-furbished or lesser quality parts is not good or moral business practice and in my estimation that would illicit a serious barrage of negative consequences.

Now I can't speak from experience, but I would assume that like a car the trailer will have a window sticker (or build sheet). This should show all options that were ordered and installed at the factory. So if this a correct assumption and my ordered 19 build sheet has something missing, but the Roo has the option installed that doesn't appear factory then I would certainly call them out regarding their practices.

Does anyone have a legal reference as to what can be done in Ohio in regards to the statements above about "refurbs" that is different from the rest of the country?
I'm with you. I will be ordering my 365 saq. And the unit will have a build sheet with it. From a business standpoint I can see why some of these dealers don't like RVW. Their what we call in the landscape business a "lowballer". Some dealers have told me to go to RVW they simply aren't going to sell a unit for that price. And I appreciate their honesty. I look at many landscape and lawncare jobs every year that I being a solo operator I simply can't compete with some of the big guys on. And I tell the customer to hire the big guys. 95% of the time its all about money. Again they get "fleet price" on mowers and equipment and can run a little cheaper with illegal helpers.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #36

As far as the comments made by another dealer that RVW adds substandard options or appliances, that is unsubstantiated. In my opinion, they are trying to justify their higher cost. We had RVW add 3 max-air vent covers and a slide awning at the dealer. They did a fine job.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #37

I am sure many folks have had no issues w/ RVW, but be sure, they are a wholesaler, and could care less if they make you happy. They deal in volume and if a problem occurs these owners could care less. I know, I traveled from Florida in May to pick up a new trailer only to find it had a huge hole in the roof. I was never reimbursed for any expenses and RVW was unwilling to make things good. It cost me $1500.00 I finally bought locally in Sept and glad I did. Local dealers handle service issues with much more dedication than you will get 3rd party per se thru RVW. Buy from them if you must but buyer beware.

TJ, Paula, and Mickey the wonder dog
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab
TJfromfL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #38

Answer to road dog66, on the third trip, one of the lights above the couch fell apart, which was minor. I've mentioned this a few times on this forum, but on the fourth trip, the emergency escape window blew out. Had a couple different vehicles on the interstate trying to get my attention, but when I would stop to see what was wrong, the window was closed and couldn't see any thing wrong. I put cardboard in my windows when in storage, and if the window was unlatched, it would be obvious with the locking bar sticking out. When I got to Padre Island and watered up, the valve in the outside shower had come apart, and after reassembling, still leaked a little, which increased as time went on. Trip in July was a water leak in rear corner (think it might have come in around the window in a driving rain. In September, during rain in Wisconsin, water was leaking in thru the A. C. Added sealant around the sponge rubber gasket, and that seems to have fixed it. No problems with the appliances yet, just the basic trailer. Wayne
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #39

Wayne,
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear most of the issues were minor and easily repairable. The escape window one was kinda interesting though. Reading your other post I was thinking you had major appliance, A/C or water heater issues, gaping holes or a cracked frame, etc.

I do still understand the frustration with a purchase not being 100% perfect from the factory, but all in all I'm expecting to have some similar issues to yours. I'm relatively handy and with the knowledge on this forum I think we'll all be able to figure out a way to address most of the issues we encounter. Keeping the fingers crossed tho
Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #40

Escape window was the big one. Lost curtains, and ruined the day-night shade. Forest River said I must have left the window unlocked, therefore they wouldn't do anything. Replacement window cost was quoted as $235 to $400 from different places, got one off of e-bay for $61 that fit perfectly. My previous 5th wheel, I had for ten years, so not new to 5th wheels. After listing all my problems, did get a new day-night shade out of Forest River.
Wasn't a mark on the side of the trailer from losing the window. Wayne