Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Who uses their gas quick connect?

We bought our first camper back in October and it has the quick connect on the side and I was just wondering who all uses theirs. I've seen a lot of campers just take an extra tank to use with their grills instead of using the quick connect. I don't want to deal with the small tanks because I will use my grill a lot. I just purchased the Coleman Roadtrip Classic grill and just wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance!
JoyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

We use it. When I got the TT, we opted out of the RVQ and had a outside gas stove substituted for it. They can be had in both 2 or 3 burner styles. We have the 3 burner one but, IMHO the 2 burner is the better choice.
I have converted a Weber Q100 to use the quick connect system as well and it works perfectly as long as you take the regulator off of the grill. ( You can't double regulate Lp)
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
We use it. When I got the TT, we opted out of the RVQ and had a outside gas stove substituted for it. They can be had in both 2 or 3 burner styles. We have the 3 burner one but, IMHO the 2 burner is the better choice.
I have converted a Weber Q100 to use the quick connect system as well and it works perfectly as long as you take the regulator off of the grill. ( You can't double regulate Lp)
I was just reading up about bypassing the regulator that comes on the grill. I didn't buy any of the hoses or connections that I might need to do that because I wasn't sure which route I would take. I thought about an extra tank because I work part time at our local Tractor Supply and we are about to start filling tanks and I would get a discount. Plus I like to have a spare tank with us because you just never know when it might come in handy.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I used my quick connect with the included sidekick grill our first year with the trailer. Then I upgraded to a Camp Chef two burner and got the hose to keep using the quick connect. It's great to not have to bring alone extra propane tanks and having somewhere to store them.

The offset is you go through propane a lot quicker. I filled one of my twin 20lbs about 2-3 times a year while using the disconnect. My BIL, who doesn't have a quick connect, filled his first 30lb after 2 years.

Still wouldn't give up the convenience though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Use it all the time. Added one to our new rig almost immediately. I love the convenience.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Use it almost daily when we camp. Much more convenient and don't have to worry about separate tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies! Another question....what will I need in order to hook my Coleman Roadtrip Classic to the quick connect? I haven't even taken it out of the box yet so I'm not sure if there's a regulator I will need to remove. I'm sure there probably is.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #8

We use ours a lot. I also enjoy the fact we have twin 30 lb tanks not 20's on this trailer.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 PM   #9
I go RV'ing not Camping

We use ours all the time with our outside kitchen
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:48 AM   #10

We have 2. 1 for the outside stove and 1 for the bbq. We use them every time we go out.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 AM   #11

We most certainly use ours. Great to no tote the extra tank for a gas grill. But when it gets cold you need to watch out; Easy to suck up both of your gas bottles for heat and when your using your quick connect it's easy to run out of gas. The reason some carry the extra bottle, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
Boondocking Only

99% of our camping is boondocking, so less is more. We used the bracket were the grill goes & hang a expanded shelf that I built there. The Camp Chef sits under & in front of the shelf a few feet from the camper. The Camp Chef 2 burner is set up to connect to the quick connect & we use it religiously. I never really felt comfortable hanging a grill directly to the side of camper. Here's a few pics of the new table & stove hooked up.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

I don't like cooking right next to the RV, so I rarely have used it for outside connect...however, my propane hose quick connect is located under my galley countertop so that I could easily re-route the hose inside the trailer to supply propane to my catalytic heater.

Comes in handy when boondocking since no electric necessary to heat the living area (just need to be sure to "crack" two windows or roof vents to refresh O2).
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
(Dry Huunday)

Yep, actually I had to install one so that I could use it!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #15

I use our propane quick connect all the time. I use a converted Coleman Roadtrip LXE grill. Found the instructions and parts needed on Youtube for the conversion. It was easier than I expected and works just fine. I did save the original Coleman grill regulator parts so I could easily convert back to the small propane bottles if I ever needed to.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

Use ours all the time with Weber Q100 (with Weber regulator removed).
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #17

Our 2014 Sun seeker came with one. We use it all the time for our campchef, the BBQ and a propane campfire. We love not having to carry extra tanks.
Niel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMarie View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! Another question....what will I need in order to hook my Coleman Roadtrip Classic to the quick connect? I haven't even taken it out of the box yet so I'm not sure if there's a regulator I will need to remove. I'm sure there probably is.
There are a few videos on YouTube showing how to do it, fittings needed and whatnot. It's pretty simple. Our first TT came with a Flame King grill, with a quick disconnect, it's lightweight but works pretty good. We also have a Camp Chef two burner stove for outside as well. On our first TT I carried a 20lb tank, and got tired of that real quick. On this new TT, I've made a 'T' fitting with two quick disconnects on it, so I can plug a single hose to the TT, and connect both the grill and the stove to the 'T' so I can use both at the same time. I've removed the regulator from the Camp Chef stove so I can run it off the propane supply onboard. No more tank carrying!
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel View Post
Our 2014 Sun seeker came with one. We use it all the time for our campchef, the BBQ and a propane campfire. We love not having to carry extra tanks.

Can I highjack for a second to ask which propane fire? We bought a Little Red last year but I haven't found a quick connect option yet because the valve is built into the regulator. For now, I've been pulling off my secondary tank to use with the campfire when we use it, but I'd much rather use my quick connect if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #20

I bought some quick disconnect stuff for my portable Coleman.. the part that screws on the grill with the regulator isn't pipe threads... I would have to make something adapt to the low pressure hose from the 5er...like several other projects.. it got bumped to the side and I have been using a 20# bottle. I got a Coleman XXL i think...wish i had a big Q grill. Nothing $300 wont fix
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas