Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

Who Would Have Thought!

Spent a nice long weekend at a Good Sam Rally in New Point, VA. Used the outside BBQ twice. When we were packing up to leave yesterday, I decided to wait and do a really good cleaning job on the BBQ after we got home.

I put it inside its cover, tightened the line to close the cover, and put it in the back of the truck for the ride home.

Imagine my surprise and sorrow to find out the wind blew it out of the truck bed! And worst, our daughter travelling behind us ran over it. Fortunately she had no damage to her TV or trailer. I checked all over and below my 5th wheel and could find no damage.

I don't know how much it weighs, but I never even considered that it might blow out.

I cannot wait for Father's Day so perhaps I can get a new one.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Spent a nice long weekend at a Good Sam Rally in New Point, VA. Used the outside BBQ twice. When we were packing up to leave yesterday, I decided to wait and do a really good cleaning job on the BBQ after we got home.

I put it inside its cover, tightened the line to close the cover, and put it in the back of the truck for the ride home.

Imagine my surprise and sorrow to find out the wind blew it out of the truck bed! And worst, our daughter travelling behind us ran over it. Fortunately she had no damage to her TV or trailer. I checked all over and below my 5th wheel and could find no damage.

I don't know how much it weighs, but I never even considered that it might blow out.

I cannot wait for Father's Day so perhaps I can get a new one.
WHAT TH.... We have the same BBQ (and Rig BTW ) That BBQ has to weigh 15+ LBS. It blew out of your bed?

By chance did you have your tailgate down? Did you stop somewhere along the way home? (Thinking here is someone ripped you off).

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

Tailgate was up, but I do have one of those vented, V shaped tailgates. I have several pieces of it that my daughter picked up off the Interstate, so it did indeed blow out of the truck bed.

Hard to believe, right?

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

Absolutely Amazing Tom...who WOULD have thunk?!

I'm still suspicious because of the weight...one more guess...it was behind your hitch and due to bumps and vibration it slid back and out your V tailgate?

Have you looked *under* your rig for any signs of damage - dents or dings?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

I've read many reports of the tremendous amount of suction that builds up in the truck bed when towing a fifth wheel. Something about air coming down from the nose of the camper and into the bed. I'm not a smart man, so I stick with - "I heard it can happen."

Everything except for my 2x10s get secured in some way.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #6

I have learned my lesson for sure! From now on everything will be tied down.

I did crawl under the rig a gave it a good looking over. I could find no evedience of any damage.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
Old 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Glad to hear that you and your daughter made it through safely.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
NELA

While it's no where near 15 lbs. on our last trip our 4-5 lb. minnow bucket blew out of the truck, nope not the styrofoam type.

We watched it circle over and over, a vertical vortex, and before DH could find a spot to pull over it blew up, lodged under/between the front of the 5er and top edge of the tailgate for a nano second, then it was gone, sucked over the tailgate and under the 5er, out the back and on to the shoulder.

So yeah, there is huge wind turbulence between a TV and a trailer.

but....that's a HUGE eye opener to read that an entire BBQ grill was sucked out???? We won't leave *anything* unsecured in our truck bed again. Heck, LOL, maybe we should tie down the firewood!

We were scared chitless that small minnow bucket would hit a car behind us and cause an accident and thankfully it went straight to the shoulder. Can't imagine what damage an airborne BBQ could cause.

Did your DD check her tires for possible damage from sharp metal edges?

Glad it didn't cause an accident for ya'll or anyone behind you. And thank you for posting this here so that we can all know to take precautions.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

We had an antique metal glider get sucked out of truck bed by a passing semi and also dodged firewood being pulled out of a fiver we were following also .... Firewood started coming out from under the back of the camper 😬
Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #10

I had one of 3 aluminum atv ramps blown out of the bed of my pickup truck while doing 60mph. The thing was 5ft long and looked like a ladder, im assuming around 10lbs? It flew into the shoulder and landed there(luckily no vehicles got hit and no one was hurt), i called 911 right away and asked them to patch me through to highway police. Once i got through i informed them of the "ladder" in the shoulder and the location. They said they would get somebody there right away to pick it up.
I do that all the time when i see crap on the highway.