Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalQueen View Post
We feel the same...we even went to a huge dealer yesterday and asked the Parts Manager if the service was great. He was honest and said "not really". We've been to several and have yet to find one that wasn't AWFUL. The first time you go you hear angels singing because it's so good. Then the next time it's the same crap. Repeated trips for the same work. Half-done work or various excuses ie "wrong part was sent" or "it's supposed to look like that".
We visited a lot of mega-dealers, too and while my wife was checking out trailers and Class-C's, I went to the service departments to check them out and, also, to see what brands and models were waiting to be worked on. (And was surprised to see many similar brands and models at most service departments...some looked VERY new so I knew they were in for warranty work, not just brakes and lube jobs.)

We ended up buying at at small, local Mom and Pop dealer and they are great...almost always answer my questions either the same day I e-mail or the next. (They've treated us the same before and after purchase.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #22

jayco line

well i saw lots of good things. i saw full spread vinyl. no more water between vinyl and substrate. i wonder if jayco still does that? the trailer frame turn table needs a brake. the large tool belt on the gent in the interior looks like potential damage. the d foam on the window for the seal is a joke. the mesa metal used today by all is a reverse pattern. it has a ridge in the flat that makes the seal gap larger. the ridge also wears quickly and the window will wear through the metal but not while the first owner has it. FR uses same metal and D foam.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #23

whoa....what happened to the jayco vid. exit stage left...
Old 04-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #24

Interesting video. I did not see anyone checking anything to see if it really worked.No plumbing tests,no water spray or air pressure tests.You would think that if they were puting a video out to get some "bragging rights" they would stress all of that.Thats OK,the dealer will fix it after the new owner brings it back a few times.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I found a Forest River factory video...this is for the little R-Pod trailer. (More impressive that the other video and my favorite part was the run-and-throw technique at 4:29!!!)

Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #26
Lon

When u consider all the systems that r purchased from other manufacturers and installed on a platform that moves at 70 mph it's amazing to me that anything works. How many systems can u list here: AC, heater(gas and elect), reefer(gas elect), plumbing, TV (cable antenna), radio, cd, inverter, awning, leveling system......,,
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

ColoradoRick, your video just reinforces what I said that FR just has large buildings where assembly is performed. Nothing is automated or is even close to being a production assembly line.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #28

FR production

well that video was not during typical production. i say that because there was a woman there doing some new worker orientation at each phase of production. that was like a skeleton crew. no way that was standard production...
Old 04-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
Was this not the issue with American made vehicles prior to the Japanese taking over with much better quality control?
Yes it was. Before the Datsun (Nissan now) was introduced in the 70's domestic cars were crap.

But I don't see the Japanese sending us Toyota and Honda RVs. If we want better RVs we'll have to quit buying the ones that require the repairs and look at the reviews and forums and buy the ones that are said to be quality RVs, even if they are more money.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
Yes it was. Before the Datsun (Nissan now) was introduced in the 70's domestic cars were crap.

But I don't see the Japanese sending us Toyota and Honda RVs. If we want better RVs we'll have to quit buying the ones that require the repairs and look at the reviews and forums and buy the ones that are said to be quality RVs, even if they are more money.
Hmmmm. I dunno. I think I'd take a late 60's Mustang over a Datsun any day.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I love the 60's Mustangs! My first car, when I was in High School, was a 2-year old Mustang II which I found at a dealership. (In 1979) The piece-of-crap broke down on the drive home from the dealership. (I later learned that the Mustang II was just a Pinto (4 cylinder) rebadged.

I'm a Toyota guy now...doubt I'll ever buy a GMC or Ford or Chevy unless we get a ginormous RV the Tundra can't handle. (But, then again, they just came out with a new turbo for my truck so hmmmmm....)
Old 04-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
ColoradoRick, your video just reinforces what I said that FR just has large buildings where assembly is performed. Nothing is automated or is even close to being a production assembly line.
Correct OC.

When we toured the Rockwood Factory last year at the FROG Rally in Goshen they were assembling the TT Rockwoods (They flip-flop between 5ers & TT.)

They start with a bare frame on a track that goes to various stations where the unit is gradually assembled. At the very end, before the trailer is pulled out, a pair of women go through each unit and inspect the electric system, pressurize the plumbing, and check the interior and exterior fit and finish. They find errors - at least on the unit we observed - and use a post-it like sticky to explain/highlight the flaw.

NOW, having said that consider what happens next: *EVERY* tow behind sold by FR is picked up by a independent RV delivery service and towed to RV dealerships. Guess what, they get paid by the unit so do you REALLY think they are cruising down the interstate at a sedate 60MPH?

SO...after getting bumped and drug over pothole infested roads the RV arrives at the dealer. What WAS working when the unit left FR may well not be working now.

WHICH is why your Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) should cover every single minute aspect of your RV!

Finally (and I DO NOT mean to start any sort of 'class' war here but it Is what it is) Having been to several of the RV factories, I am convinced that the assembly, attention to detail, fit and finish of, say a Cardinal or Cedar Creek is, shall we say, held to a higher standard than say our Rockwood or a Surveyor.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #33
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Darold View Post
Why is it, after we save our money, research and discuss for quite awhile all the RV's, we still have to "repair" and fix up before even the 1st trip? Maybe its tires or vacuum sawdust or whatever. Usually its not like this with a new truck or car, why rv's?
Cause it's all about the money and saving time. Pride in your work, it's missing everywhere and it's a shame.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #34

True I agree that extra time could be spent to tidy up things. Sawdust and wiring and such.

I bit&$ed a lot joining the forum about my peeves. Now looking at the XLR or bunkhouse. Willing to buy new so I do nothing to enforce the quality. I think I have improved my camper a lot.

This is just reality. When you hook up to your camper you are putting it just below tornado speed or in it. Just consider you get drug thru the hopeful 250 to 300 miles a day at straight line winds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1429572689.656311.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	74845

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #35

I watched a video on YouTube earlier where Jayco documented the build of a trailer. From start to finish, it takes just 6 hours. The guys were working very quickly. I would love for them to take just a few minutes longer to get things right. But they don't so as long as the problems aren't serious I can live with it.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I Love my 66 Mustang (owned several over the years kept the yellow one ) but not as a daily driver I would much prefer the 86 SVO or my 2010 Mustang that I just picked up to drive daily (I have a 50 mile commute each way)............

I am probably the out cast here but we bought our new then 2013 Puma from our Mega dealer (4 employees) Packed it up took it camping. No need to clean, everything worked / except me I needed lessons on the sound system remote. Need to install a teenager to figure it out. Not been back to the dealer for build issues other than a couple of very minor cosmetic things in the three years that we have owned it. Very happy the quality has been great.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #37

Different Assembly methods

And here is a Cedar Creek video outlining their construction process:

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote