Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

WHY!!!

Why is it, after we save our money, research and discuss for quite awhile all the RV's, we still have to "repair" and fix up before even the 1st trip? Maybe its tires or vacuum sawdust or whatever. Usually its not like this with a new truck or car, why rv's?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Read the 1000+ posts on RV initial quality. You'll find many opinions and probably some facts.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

I have to agree its pretty pathetic. I've noticed a bunch of stuff on our new unit that hasn't left the driveway yet. Been digging around it to install a Progressive EMS unit. Fixed the door latch between the living space and garage myself (didn't latch), noted one of the blind valances is missing screws, the slide is too far back in the cutout and the back window binds on the seal when it comes in--I don't know how I didn't see it at the dealer, but I didn't. One of the bolts for the rear ramp door is missing, right next to the license plate the dealer put on, saw that when I put the registration sticker on. Not to mention all the sawdust and woodchips I vacuumed out of the power converter and it's location. Seems like I keep finding sawdust everywhere. Mostly little stuff but none the less aggravating. The slide really irritates me as I don't really want to use it. Don't really have time to run it back to the dealer before next weekend. guess if it tears the seals they'll just have more to fix.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Not trying to be mean or anything but if you researched and talked to others on the forum then you should be fully aware of the associated things you have to deal with when making an RV purchase.

It seems that all the problems have a remedy but it is up to you (the consumer) to keep up on them. Dirty units are fixed by a solid PDI and refusing to take delivery until the problems are fixed. The units come with a year warranty (some with an additional year) so you are not responsible for out of pocket fixes for manufacturing defects. That gives you 2 years in most case and a year in all cases to get the issues addressed.

When making a purchase it is just as good to research the dealer as it is the specific unit you want because the dealer is the first contact you have in getting issues resolved.

I found an awesome dealer and researched them as well as the unit I have not had a single problem with my unit, whether that be dirty or leaks, not one single problem.

So like I previously said in this industry it is imperative that the consumer do his due diligence.

If you have a specific problem I and a lot of other members here are glad to offer advice......

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

IMO,

It's apples to oranges on the construction of the two. Automobiles for the most part are entirely built by machine and merely assembled by people. Where our campers are still built by hand, the walls, frame, cabinets and 90% of all the other stuff.

Your at the mercy of joe blow who built your camper and his craftsmanship. It is a snow ball as well, joe blow makes a mistake, jane blow who is his inspector over looks his mistake, jack crap is more concerned with his task to care that he noticed joe blows mistake and then blamo your camper is at the dealer with what is now your problem.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Not trying to be mean or anything but if you researched and talked to others on the forum then you should be fully aware of the associated things you have to deal with when making an RV purchase.
I fully intended to drag mine back to the dealer after the first trip, I did a bunch of research and pretty much expected it. Just wasn't expecting to question if I should take it back before the first trip..........I can get the slide to ease in so I'm going to run with it, as I'm sure there will be more. But the look on my wife's face when the salesman said just make a list and bring it back was priceless. I did opt for the 2nd year warranty extension and just got the paperwork back yesterday.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Darold View Post
Why is it, after we save our money, research and discuss for quite awhile all the RV's, we still have to "repair" and fix up before even the 1st trip? Maybe its tires or vacuum sawdust or whatever. Usually its not like this with a new truck or car, why rv's?
Its not entirely that way with a car, but it should be!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
IMO,

It's apples to oranges on the construction of the two. Automobiles for the most part are entirely built by machine and merely assembled by people. Where our campers are still built by hand, the walls, frame, cabinets and 90% of all the other stuff.
I don't understand why people don't get this, either. People are getting mad at an issue that the consumer has caused for the most part. How many of us shop with price being a huge factor? I know I do. So we've shifted the environment to be heavily influenced by speed of production rather than having an emphasis on quality control. If FR offered a fifth wheel in 3 floor plans, a TT in 3 floor plans, and a hybrid in 3 floor plans and there were NO submakes, they could probably mechanize much of the manufacturing process almost to the point of each trailer being a bolt together kit. Then we'd have person after person throwing a fit about not having enough choices and the floorplan they want isn't available. What if FR came out tomorrow and said they were going to slow production speed by 25% in order to greatly improve QC and produce a far superior product. They were also going to increase pay by 50% to their manufacturing employees in order to get workers with more skill/experience and in order to decrease turnover. Oh, BTW, average cost of a unit will increase by 25%. Guess what. You'd see a lot more Jayco's, Heartland's, etc., and a lot LESS FR products, and people would continue to gripe.

With that being said, there are things that get by that should NOT, even with the most basic of QC in place. But to compare the auto industry to the RV industry is invalid.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

C. Bc😚😥😥😥c 😕😚😕

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #10

Was this not the issue with American made vehicles prior to the Japanese taking over with much better quality control?

1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is online now   Reply With Quote