Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexha View Post
Traditionally, travel trailers were designed to be towed by larger passenger vehicles, SUV's and light trucks. The tow vehicle size, and the bumper-pull hitch placed a strict weight limit on travel trailers resulting in the use of lightweight materials and consruction techniques and limited many design factors such as inside dimensions and trim options.
If an RV'er desired more space, headroom and luxury, a heavier trailer resulted, requiring a heavier duty tow vehicle with a sturdier and better load-balancing fifth-wheel hitch, offering better rig safety, stability and manuverability.
Recently a new class of bumper-pull "travel trailers" has become available known as "destination trailers" which are designed to meet the needs of RV'ers who intend to leave their trailers primarily on a fixed site. This provides them with the option to ocassionally have the RV moved, by professional transporters if they so desire, thus eliminating any need to own an expensive tow vehicle. Many of these new destination trailers approach, and is some cases exceed (no limited bedroom height or inside stairs) the design and construction features of fifth-wheel trailers including greater headroom throughout, improved galley appliances, multiple slide-outs and high quality furnishings. Destination trailers also offer such options as no water storage and holding tanks, regular flush toilets, better insulation, larger beds, bigger water heaters and much more living space. Since they are not designed to meet extensive road travel demands and do not require many of the expensive mobile options of fifth-wheel RV's such as automatic leveling jacks, water pumps and dual fuel appiances, the cost of destination trailers can be considerably less than similar size fifth wheel units without sacrificing any of the luxury features.
Think you're off the subject of TTs vs 5ers and are pushing park models
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #22

I would not go back to a TT from my 5th wheel

I agree with everything Jeff said about easier to tow without sway, more room, etc., etc.

Rich Kanehl
Leesburg Fl.
8280ws ultra Lite
Nissan Titan with heavy tow
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #23

You pay by the pound.😉

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #24

And when you're done, some folks have a whole lotta pounds!!!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #25

After towing both, I will NEVER go back to a tt from a 5er.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #26

much more frame work and heavier frame due to overall larger size and weight. Taller walls and overall height. All adds up to $$$$.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #27

SkipnTeri :
My intent was to simply answer the question about why fifth wheelers are more expensive than travel trailers. If I said something that was incorrect, please point it out. I only tried to accurately discuss the cost features, advantages and disadvantages of types currently available in the market. I have no reason to push any particular trailer type but should note that we have owned a destination trailer for about three years and it meets our current needs very well.
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
FR only built the Aviator one year [maybe 2] and only 70 units. That was 2012/13. They were too expensive to build and their targeted competitor was Airstream. No Airstream owner leaves Airstream. And they were being produced during very bad times in the RV industry. Thus one production run. We lucked out and bought one of the last three units in the US.
We just couldn't see an advantage of a 5er over the Aviator and we looked hard and wide. JMHO
Wanna bet? I have had Airstreams in the past, and I may again the future. They do have a loyal following, but so do many other brands. I buy what is going to serve my needs at the time being and give me the most value for my hard earned dollars.

Fifth wheels contain more materials and more labor to construct. Someone mentioned truck campers, that is a very small market so it takes longer to amortize the set up costs of a new unit, so they have to charge more to get their costs back in a timely manner.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

My two zincs have more to do with the living space as mentioned previously. You get way more living square feet (thus more finished space) in a 5th wheel vs travel trailer of the same overall length.

The travel trailer has a 3 - 4 foot A frame up front that you can't live "over". Travel trailers are measured from the ball socket to the rear bumper and 5th wheels are measured from the front cap (or pin location whichever is farthest) to the rear bumper.

Additionally the overall combined length (TV plus camper) is much shorter since about 8 feet of the camper (From nose cap to vertical rise) is on top of the pickup instead of behind it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
After towing both, I will NEVER go back to a tt from a 5er.
X2!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel