Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #21

We custom order ours to make sure we got the colours we wanted , fireplace, six point self levelling and we did not want the table an chairs we instead wanted the table with bench seats for several reasons . It gave us an extra sleeping space, easier to slid into the back two seats and extra storage. It also gave us warranty over used but you do pay dearly for buying new. If you are planning to pull the self levelling is a must.
Columbus340RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #22

Puma 25RKSS

We factory ordered our Puma TT in 2010 and had some special requests fulfilled. We had them delete the hideous wallpaper border that ran midway around the interior walls. We had them add a 2nd TV hookup across from the bed.

Usually if the custom requests are reasonable they can accommodate them on the build.
WpgCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 AM   #23

Spare yourselves the pain of trying to tell the factory which features you like or dislike about a particular model. If you find a floor plan you like more than any of the others in your price range or size range, then buy it. The RV factories are not interested in making one-off, custom RV's unless you bring $billions.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #24

We ordered from a wholesaler after much searching on the net ... there is a lot of savings out there if you search. She was great to deal with and I would not say Custom ... we did a build sheet with what we wanted with a couple of exceptions ... Rockwood Ultra Lite does not have as many available options on the build sheet as the Rockwood Signature, there were 2 things we wanted Roller Shades and Slide Topper all 4 slides .... She contacted Rockwood Rep and he approved those and she simply wrote them in on the build sheet ... could not be more pleased with the process and pricing ... hope I am as happy with the 5er when it shows up ... Thanks Frank
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #25

I was planning on having to special order when we went camper searching.

After looking at several dealers and walking through hundreds (felt like thousands) of campers we saw the new Rockwood's and new immediately the 2608 was the "one".

The one we picked had ALL of the available options and was the color we wanted. The ONLY thing we would have done different if ordering was having the theater seating instead of the couch.

A quick internet search led me to RecPro and a theater seat I could have in 3 days.

We made the deal and it worked out great.

Had the trailer not had all of the options, I was prepared to order one.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #26

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think we would be able to live with just a bunk delete, plus all of our preferred options. Any idea when the factories make their model year changes?
campkeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #27
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by campkeri View Post

Any idea when the factories make their model year changes?
Whenever they feel like it...

Although I'd look for the 2020 models to be coming out in the next couple of months.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Whenever they feel like it...

Although I'd look for the 2020 models to be coming out in the next couple of months.
Yep! Even though the new year models start showing up around March-April, they often make make changes anytime during the model year.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #29

Certainly by the time school is out the 2020 models will be on high volume dealer lots. 2019s are darn close to being "last year's models" and many of these on the overpriced "local dealer" lots (perhaps a redundant term) will have been sitting out in the weather for close to a year.

Ordering a trailer from an option list is not what I consider "custom." Makes sense to order what you want from a high volume dealer. Like car dealers the trailers on the sales lot are what the dealer thinks will sell. So called "most popular" options. 10 to 12 weeks for an order is not uncommon and small quantity trailers can take much longer based on manufacturing economy of scale which will run as many of one model as they can before changing the line over. Popular models are actually easier to get many times. All but the smallest come to the dealer on their own wheels. I figure I'm more careful than the contract driver making the delivery.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #30

We custom ordered our 5th wheel because we wanted certain things like dual pane windows, body paint pkg, 6000 lb axle pkg, and many other things that nobody had on a lot. Turns out we ordered in early '12 and it was at the dealer 7 weeks later and titled as a '13.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #31

We wanted rear entry which is not that easy to find in a 30', along with an all inclusive bathroom, rather than the sink across the hall. The trailer works well where we park it and lines right up with our back patio. Our RV cover is just 30' long, so going 33-35' with rear entry isn't an option. We also didn't want the showy "fireplace". It just didn't seem like a useful item. So we opted for more cupboard space.
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #32
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

We grew tired of searching and searching for the options we wanted thinking if we offered to buy one off the lot we'd get a decent deal. This turned out to be not true. We custom ordered and got a rock bottom price. We didn't want carpeting in the bedroom. As we went through the list of possible upgrades, it was easy to justify (or not) the added cost for each item. We drove to Michigan in January to inspect it on the lot before signing the final papers, and saved the shipping costs.

I can say for sure an over modified RV doesn't sell for all that much more than a stock RV. What will fetch more cash is the condition.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #33

We ordered table/chairs vs the U dinette, shades, interior color, and upholstery. These were mfg options, but TT was built to our desires. When we sold it, the options happened to be the ones the buyers wanted and had been looking for. Was worth the ten week wait for our comfort/enjoyment in the long run.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #34

Custom order was worth the wait

We researched RVs for one with an open floor plan. We decided on the Rockwood 8298WS, a 33 foot 5th wheel, which tows more like a 29-30 footer. We then shopped price and found the dealer with the best price. We visited the dealer and he was willing to honor the sale price (30% off MSRP) and permit us to order one with the modifications we needed to accommodate our youngest who uses a wheelchair.

We added dual-pane windows, 50 amp service, 1500w and 1300w ACs, additional maxair fans, self-leveling hydraulic jacks, and several other options. We replaced the kitchen bench seat, and pony wall, with a free standing counter height table and moveable heated dual recliner. This required the entire wall on the door side being custom re-engineered, moving a window, and changing the location of the electrical outlets on that side, to meet our needs. Forest River did this for us at no additional expense.

As it turned out, we ordered it in Jan 2017 and by the time we received it in April 2017, we received a customized 2018 model. According to the NADA guide, 2 years later the 5th wheel is valued more than what we paid out the door including tax and license fees.

We have fixed a few minor things, and updated the shower head for an oxygenic style, a better bathroom faucet, and replaced the under sink whole house filter with a standard pentex housing and 1 micron filter. We skirted it for the winter on our property at 6700' in our mountain RV resort. Even in snow and single digit temperatures we only used 1 gallon of propane in the past 3 months keeping the heater set at 41 degrees. Nothing has frozen, and it seems to sip propane to keep things above freezing. We check it every 6-8 weeks in the winter, and most weekends and vacation in the summer. After 2 years we are still happy campers. The wait from January to April seemed like an eternity, but looking back it was well worth the wait to have the 5th wheel that meets all our needs.
danah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #35
2017 WORK and PLAY 38RSL

38RLS Work & Play special order

We ordered a 5th wheel toy hauler from a dealer in Ringgold Georgia, instead of a local in Maryland. The only W&P dealer in Maryland would not budge on price, pushed for lot rigs, and had bad reviews for service. By using the outfit in Georgia, I was able to add $16K in extras for the same price of a base model locally. I was able to get all of the needed items for ATV trips such as gen set, fuel filling station, extra entry door, tv hook ups, custom seating/sleeping for 10, insulated & heated tanks,2 pain windows, etc. It only took the factory four months to push my rig out, but it took eight months for the warranty repairs to be fixed(3 pages of items: not wired to NEC code, loose connections, failed transfer switch, free flowing gas reg., hardware and valances falling off, leaking shower, bracing missing, missing handles and table legs, fuel tube inside tank fell off, holes and pore fit up, etc.)

If I were to buy another, I would probably do the same. I would only plan on staying in town and not accept the trailer until everything is corrected on the lot. The hardest part in the whole ordeal was finding a dealer to service a trailer that they did not sell. The local dealer flat out told me to "F off" that I did not buy it from him so he refused to work on it. I had to call FR corporate and have Kelly arrange service for me. After talking with friends and coworkers, I feel OK with my decision, even with all of the inferior work during assembly. They paid twice as much as I did and they still had similar issues, some were even worse. I can only imagine the amount of money I would have spent if I had to rely solely on the dealer for repairs. Plus they would have put the same made in China, no warranty parts back in service.

Good luck with what ever route you go. Hopefully you save enough money on the initial cost to make up for the lack of workmanship you will receive.

I do love my rig, but it took two years to make it reliable and enjoyable.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by campkeri View Post
We are getting ready to buy a new 5er this year, and will probably order from the factory. One reason is to be sure to get all the options we want, but the other is that we would like to tweak a few things. For example, we would remove the top bunk in bunkhouse, and upgrade to a real mattress. We would also see if we can make the bathroom door a slider, rather than a space stealing hinged door.
What custom changes did you make to your RV? Was it difficult? Expensive?

We are in our custom Puma in Texas.

Ordered it in Nov.

Got rid of the HUGE, STOOOOOPID dinette and had them build a nice wardrobe and desk/shelf unit in its place.

Had the couch and dinette areas swapped, so that the couch was next to the rear recliners -- makes for better conversation.
THAT required that the two windows over those units be swapped in the walls.

NO EXTRA CHARGES for the window or couch shuffling.

Also ripped out the port side "closet" in the bedroom, so that, with a KING bed, momma wouldn't bump her head. Replaced it with a nice extension of the overhead shelving.

All this stuff was done in the same finish as the rest of the unit, with REFUNDS for their mattress and (almost, but not quite) no extra charge for the dinette replace.....just materials.

Great job all round.

Usual tweaks and leaks........but very happy with the unit.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #37

Custom ordered

First unit was a Heartland model. Upgraded axle from 6k to 7k and E rated tires. A couple of other things from list of options. Current unit, we had CC omit the 1/2 bath so we could put a small freezer in that space. Omitted carpet and opted for queen bed over std king bed, residential refrigerator.