Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

why do out-state dealers seem to carry higher end RV's?

I have to travel quite a bit to mostly out-state locales for my job. I visit some of the true hot spots of the midwest...

Anyway, I have been noticing over the past few years (only because I have been looking since we decided to get an RV two years ago) that many of the out-state dealers tend to carry more high end trailers and Motorhomes than the dealers in Kansas City or St. Louis.

For example, of the 5 dealers in the KC metro area, most will pick one or two brands of 5th wheel and then only stock a couple of the nicer, more expensive ones. But in contrast, I noticed a dealer in Great Bend, KS yesterday with about 20-25 top of the line 5er on their lot. Another near Carthage, MO has usually 30 plus high end trailers and 15-20 high end Motorhomes on their lot. None of the dealers I have been to in KC or ST. Louis tend to carry as many high end units.

Just found that to be kind of odd.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Might be just the demographics of the area. Another thought, that dealer in Carthage might have started with just a few high end units and once they made a name for themselves and the units started selling they expanded their inventory on high end units.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

We bought our TT from a high volume big discount dealer. They have a few "high end" rigs.
One dealer carries many "larger" TT's and MH's.
Another dealer has almost nothing but Class A's.
Seems that the dealers choose their niche and then the customers will come.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Might be just the demographics of the area. Another thought, that dealer in Carthage might have started with just a few high end units and once they made a name for themselves and the units started selling they expanded their inventory on high end units.
The demographics are exactly what surprised me. People are outnumbered 10-1 by cattle in Western Kansas. I just can't imagine how a dealer with that type of stock could survive out there.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
The demographics are exactly what surprised me. People are outnumbered 10-1 by cattle in Western Kansas. I just can't imagine how a dealer with that type of stock could survive out there.
I have a couple of friends in the farm implement business and they tell me that when times are good and farmers and ranchers have a lot of disposable cash, they tend to buy high-priced equipment and high-priced toys. While that may not have been the case recently, maybe that dealer is remembering the "good old days" and hoping that they will return. Or maybe you used the right word...he is just "surviving".
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote