Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #81

Once and only once did we camp in a commercial campground it was back in the early 80's and it was I believe a Jellystone campground my kids wanted to go there they were I believe 5 and 6 we were in a tent and arrived on a Wed set up and had a great day next morning we had two motor homes pull in next to us we were getting the look we were only there unti Friday and after that we never camped anywhere else than in State owned campgrounds. To this day we camp in COE or state campgrounds most times without hookups kinda keeps most people away. Those that can fit their campers in these spots have always been great.
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #82

I had a guy wander over from his mansion on wheels and watch me set up my hybrid. I excitedly told him about some of the features. He responded by telling me it is just great that I am out camping even if I can only afford a tent camper...and no need for me to feel bad.

Feel bad? I purposely down sized from a toy hauler, lol. To be fair he was a very nice guy and I don't think he meant to be condescending about my little canvas setup so no big deal. I just laughed.

I find it less funny when I go out 4 days early so I can get a river bank site and half the free world roll in Friday night, set up their chairs and fish fish from the bank on my site. There is plenty of bank area not part of camp sites if they were willing to walk 30 steps. I generally just roll my eyes and say hello but pretty annoying having your site invaded.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post

I find it less funny when I go out 4 days early so I can get a river bank site and half the free world roll in Friday night, set up their chairs and fish fish from the bank on my site. There is plenty of bank area not part of camp sites if they were willing to walk 30 steps. I generally just roll my eyes and say hello but pretty annoying having your site invaded.
That's an easy fix. Take some kids with you and have them run around at the back of your site and throw rocks into the water. Nobody will want to fish from there.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #84
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Or let max do the fishing for you?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #85
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok here.

https://youtu.be/NWFouJtS_HM
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #86

Haha, good idea. I have started taking extra chairs and setting them up there so I have a spot to fish from my own site.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #87

Lots of responses so good post!

I don't know of any snobbish campers. We are seasonal as is most of our campground community. For me the issue is behavior related. Parents need to educate their kids about campground etiquette. Sorry but it is NOT ok to walk your dog through my private sight, that I pay for and allow him to crap. It is NOT ok, for your kids to ride their bike through my camp sight, or feel that it is some kind of short cut to the next street. And seriously it is NOT ok to tie up your dog across the street from your camp sight on my tree in my yard, because you want to play corn hole and the dog gets in the way. (yes, it has happened) I don't think that correcting that behavior is being snobbish, maybe just doing/teaching common sense, or what mom and dad should have done the first time they went camping. But as Ron White says...."You can't fix stupid!"

Here's to good behavior!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #88

I haven't experienced this. Both on forumns and at campgrounds no one has been anything but friendly.

OK, maybe not always friendly in a heated debate about yapping dogs vs. screaming kids....

But certainly not judgemental over the type of RV anyone owned.

From what I have seen most RVers started out in tents or popups and made their way through upgrades that suited their tastes. I know I'm in that category.

I have my "dream" TT now (no, it's not $$$$$$$$, but it is fantastic and I love it and I can see keeping it for 10+ years), but I went from tent -->popup -->hybrid -->TT so I completely understand the joys of camping in each!

Sure, I may ponder how the heck people can stand to tent camp in Texas in July... but to each their own! I bet the spend the heat of the day in the water and have a blast.

One day, when I retire, I may get a 5er or a MH. I will still share a camaraderie with campers of all sorts.

The things that bother me about people I run into while camping happen from tent to MH. Their equipment doesn't seem to effect their behavior. GO figure -- there are nice folks and jackholes across the spectrum.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #89

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Do both, now it is nicer to make it a 3 nighter though.... Week long at a park is good as well. We camp 90% at Provincial Parks and seldom have any issues. Stay away long weekends to avoid the 24 cowboys and all is well!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I have seen the rude and the too cool for me. But we have always enjoyed our time camping. We speak and if the don't reply we don't bother them again. Some people just having a bad day or mad at the wife or husband. Never know what people have going on in their life's.
I think Jesus talked about this....judging is for the Lord. Not us.

Live. Love. Laugh... as the saying goes
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
Hi Everyone, I read alot of different forums about camping, and there seems to be an underlying tone of knocking people that only camp on weekends. I realize there's more people on the weekends, and more inexperienced people. Nobody is born knowing how to do everything, unfortunately you learn through trial and error. The reality is that the majority of people have jobs that only allow them to camp on weekends. I think it is wonderful the people that are retired, and get to camp at there leisure. After working 50 hrs. a week I really look forward to my weekend camping. So instead of being a camping snob and looking down your nose at people that haven't been camping for 20+ years, share your years of wisdom with someone you see doing something wrong. I'm sure they will appreciate it, and you could probably save them from damaging there equipment. Happy Camping, whenever you go!
Some of this maybe the campground and the attitude of the campers there.

As an example we camped last weekend at EBBY PINES Campground in Bristol IN with our grandkids ages 8 and 10. We had the last pull thru full hook-up site; site number 165 at the end of a one way road. The road was a one way going out. How many people went down this road with their GOLF CARTS; I could not count that high. A few drove thru our site to get to the other road behind us instead of turning around. Than there was the loud music being played by a group of campers on the other side of us way past quiet time. People do not control there children anymore they just let them run all over thru other campers camp sites and what have you. Or the husband yelling for his wife to get another beer for him instead of getting out of the chair and walking over to get one. Oh I know no golf cart next to him.

BTW I do not like golf carts; get out and walk the exercise may be good for you.

Maybe this is why some people look down on weekend campers.
Jim
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #92

We've never personally experienced any campground snobbery after 30 years in tents, popups, and now our HTT. Campers are a cross section of society, so there are going to be idiots, a-holes, and clueless ones among us just like in our everyday at-work/home lives.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #93

We are weekend campers expect for our vacations. We try to get out as much in the spring and fall as possible. Even for TT we have a small trailer, but its what we wanted and its perfect for us. Just because someone paid more for something doesn't mean its better.

Honestly, if anything, we tend to look down on some of the people in Motorhomes that we see weekend camping... they don't camp. They just drive their apartment to another location. No grilling out, no fire, just sitting in the Motor home watching TV... but that's a whole different thread

We have not noticed bias towards us, but what we tend to notice is a lack of respect for others. People play their music too loud, cut through campsites, throw trash anywhere.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I think Jesus talked about this....judging is for the Lord. Not us.

Live. Love. Laugh... as the saying goes
Well said!!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper